PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Over Michigan

Peashooter
08-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Who will be there today? I'll be in "fly-by corner" wearing my Bossman long-sleeve-t and a Columbia sun hat. (Per my dermatologist!)

Peashooter
08-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Argh! "Fly-by corner" had a VIP tent. Although, if you were a registered photog, you could get out there. Sombody's been paying attention up there in Belleville!

Here are some ground shots I took with the point & shoot. Can you name the types? I'll have flying shot from my bro in a day or two. All around, a great show with: 1) the Emil (again); 2) three(!) flying Hurricanes; two Spits; 3) lots of Mustangs; 4) two P-47s doing ground support for the re-enactors (COOL and close-in!); 5) Marine's Dream; 6) the Collings TA-4 Skyhawk; and 7) the Lanc!

T. Adams
08-05-2006, 07:50 PM
I was in fly by corner, may be a bit before I post anything. Still going through Oshkosh stuff.

Pic #2 is one of the Spit's

FlyinLo
08-05-2006, 11:15 PM
The last one is a P-40N, and the first looks like the Bf109.

Peashooter
08-06-2006, 04:38 AM
Are these your final answers? :D Tim, what was the deal to get into the photog area?

T. Adams
08-06-2006, 06:13 AM
You had to pay extra to get in. It was $65 to get in at 7AM. This is two hours before the general public was let in. Then we got $8 in free food coupons, and free water and pop all day. Can't say it I'll ever go back though. The lighting just sucks at the show, and with the runway configuration, there is not much photo ops there either. After going to a number of shows now in the midwest, I have found that nothing beats getting to OSH early, and having the sun behind you during the airshow in the afternoon.

zaqwrx
08-06-2006, 06:18 AM
MY guesses are ...

1st is a 109 ... Messerschmit or Casa
2nd looks Spitfire
3rd well ... I give ... Your Aeronca? Your brothers Cub?
4th is a P40

Peashooter
08-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Jeff: 1, 2 & 4 are correct! BTW, it was the ME-109E from the Russell collection in Canada, ex David Price, with DB power. That engine sounds wonderful and is unique with the variable pitch prop -- not constant speed.

As for #3, that's a lot of hydraulics for a Champ or a Cub! Here's another clue. Peas :dunno:

Peashooter
08-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Tim: I saw this AM that the photo VIP area is $25/day if you don't do the 7 AM photo tour. You are right, that TOM always presents lighting challenges. There wasn't any haze yesterday, but the high, thin overcast sucked. BTW, where were all the Skyraiders? Peas

Peashooter
08-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Here are some of my brother's pics shot with a D70 and a 80-210 zoom. Tough day for light, but a great day for flight -- and the victorious Allied forces! Oh, and another clue as to the #3 mystery airplane!

T. Adams
08-06-2006, 06:05 PM
It was nice to see Miss A fly. I talked to a crew member on Saturday, and he said Brent has not made a final call yet, if they will make it to Reno.

rc38pilot
08-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Could it be the inside of a hurricane???????? :dunno: Thats my final answer!!!!!!! Do we have a winner? see ya Jim A :thumbsup:

Peashooter
08-07-2006, 03:37 AM
We have a winnah! :deal:

pfshooter
08-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Post more pix, pea!

Can't wait to see your Reno pix from the Valley of Speed!

T. Adams
08-12-2006, 07:24 PM
More pics,

http://www.timadamsphotography.com/7705%20Miss%20America.jpg

http://www.timadamsphotography.com/7284%20Heritage%20flight.jpg

http://www.timadamsphotography.com/7047%20P-47%20up%20close2.jpg

http://www.timadamsphotography.com/6945%20Pilot%20BW.jpg

http://www.timadamsphotography.com/3203%20B-52%20Briefing%20Time.jpg

AAFO_WSagar
08-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Very cool Tim!

:thumbsup:

Warren_C
08-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Tim

Nice shots, were you in the photo pit Sunday? Also, I like the border you use for your images, what software do you use?

I have been trying to sort all the pictures taken over those two days, I haven't even begin to post-process the keepers. I'll try to post something soon.

Warren

Peashooter
08-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Wow, Tim! Very nice. Love the B-25 shot. Peas

T. Adams
08-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Tim

Nice shots, were you in the photo pit Sunday? Also, I like the border you use for your images, what software do you use?

I have been trying to sort all the pictures taken over those two days, I haven't even begin to post-process the keepers. I'll try to post something soon.

Warren

The frame is an action I found on the net somewhere. I can email it to you if you want. I use it with PSCS. I just started playing with CS2, and for some reason the drop shadow background in CS2 is white. I tried looking at all the steps in the action to see where the grey drop shadow is created, but I can't find it. Since I like the grey backdrop, I'll be sticking with CS for awhile, plus I have no clue how to use ACR in CS2 yet, so I have been using Canon's DPP to convert the RAW files.

I was only at the show on Saturday, and I was in the pit.

Roger Cain
08-20-2006, 01:52 PM
You had to pay extra to get in. It was $65 to get in at 7AM. This is two hours before the general public was let in. Then we got $8 in free food coupons, and free water and pop all day. Can't say it I'll ever go back though. The lighting just sucks at the show, and with the runway configuration, there is not much photo ops there either. After going to a number of shows now in the midwest, I have found that nothing beats getting to OSH early, and having the sun behind you during the airshow in the afternoon.

Having been to this show four times now, it is still a great show, and I'll return again next year. Two years ago, 13 TBM Avengers, last year eight B-17's in the air together, and while not the featured planes, this year, three Hurricanes in the air on sunday. The WWII re-enactors also put on a great show with lots of heavy armor, and straffing runs by two P-47 Jugs and a P-51 Mustang. Can't see this anywhere else than this show.
I agree the afternoon lighting is brutal, but still just a good show to watch. The photo pit also allows those that are serious about photography to have a good position to shoot from, and taxiway access, as to having to shoot over heads or camp out on the front rope all day. Just my two cents.