Ramp sitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramp sitters

I have been sitting in my foldin chair on the ramp for over 20 years. Every year it shrinks and moves down toward turn 1. Every year the rule is " no chairs" and it is never enforced. Assuming it will be this year, what are the people using that area allowed to do? Sit on the concrete?
    The general admission seating has also shrunk and moved, there is'nt near enough to handle the crowds. I fully understand the need for security and revenue, but at what point is this going to become a reserve only venue? I've seen several shows that have provided seating for reserve tickets only, some chargin an additional price after entry (Hamilton comes to mind as does Salinas).
    Ah well, enough griping. Does anyone know what is allowed out on the ramp? I need to plan ahead here to keep these 40+ year old bones from becoming permanently fixed to the tarmac.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Re: Ramp squatters

Originally posted by Leo
    I have been sitting in my foldin chair on the ramp for over 20 years. Every year it shrinks and moves down toward turn 1. Every year the rule is " no chairs" and it is never enforced. Assuming it will be this year, what are the people using that area allowed to do? Sit on the concrete?
    I know in 1999 we tried to enforce the rules, but there were some people at the gates with less than caring attitudes who were allowing people to go in with anything...even though they were not supposed to. I had people who were turned away at my gate, come back to show me that they had gotten in at another gate with their chairs and coolers. Like it was some kind of "Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah...I got in anyway" deal for them. It did not stop me from doing my job as I was told to do it. I was told, "No Coolers or chairs". I did not let any through.

If you want to know "WHY" they do not want chairs in the pits, this is the way it was explained to me;

You have airplanes that NEED to go out and in. That is the nature of the pit area...it is for AIRPLANES! People take their chairs, and sit right up on the ropes between the rows of airplanes. (I have dealt with this personally).

This would not be so bad if they would be willing to move when an airplane goes in or out, but they act like they are "Inconvenienced" by the movement of the airplanes. When security comes by and asks them to move for the airplane, they look away like they do not hear you. "Uh huh huh huh...who me?"

<sacrasm>God forbid you take their "Good Spot" away because of some silly airplane crew that wants to go back to their pit and work on their airplane where the tools are. Sheesh, the nerve of those crews! Why can't they just pull all of the airplanes out at once and do everything out on the flightline? </sarcasm>

Personally, I would like to see them open the pit area for spectators until a certain time, then clear it out and send everyone without some kind of official business back to the stands for the races. I do not think that would ever happen, but it sure would make the movement of aircraft a lot easier and safer. Remember that even though you may be inconvenienced by certain little things, there is a reason for people like myself to do what we are told. You may not always understand the "whys" of a policy, but know that they DON'T just do it to make YOU angry. There is a real purpose behind the rule...what ever that rule may be.

Glenn

Comment

Ramp sitters

Actually, in the pits I totally agree with no chairs, no coolers. I have always felt the pits were for the planes and crews, any and all fans are guests, and should act accordingly. I have never been treated with anything but politeness by the participants and sponsers, even been invited into situations I would never have encountered otherwise ( sharing sandwiches with Rick Brickert and his Mom during his second year, a trip to the old outer 4 pylon with the Warlock group, long talks with John Crocker and Sherman Smoot, John Sharp putting my son In Nemesis for a picture at Johns suggestion ). I can't say the same for some fans who have spent their money and want their privilages without regard for others.
      The area I am concerned with is the ramp area in front of the stands, traditionally blanket and lawn chair seating. I visit the pits to keep "aquainted" but prefer to sit where the fans should sit! I've been out there since 1976 and enjoy it. There have been rumors every year I can remember that this area will be closed, no chairs, no coolers, etc. It has never happened but with added security I've been worried. The bleachers are many things, comfortable is not one of them.
      On the security issue, two years ago I was looking for a shortcut from the rv lot to the tower gate at 5 am on Sunday. I was asked at a vip parking lot if I had a ticket, otherwise I was not questioned. Too late I realised that without passing thru anything except a wood vehicle barrier I was inside the gates looking out. When I tried to rectify this and talked to a guard, I was told to "go take a seat and enjoy the show" They stamped my hand on the way out and Another type of person probably would have sold the unused ticket. I still have it. Seemed a little loose to me.
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Re: Ramp squatters

Originally posted by Leo
        On the security issue......(it) Seemed a little loose to me.

Exactly the problem out there. People took for granted a whole lot. Now that things must be tightened up and security is going to be paramount, some people are going to be unhappy. Mainly because of the things they used to get away with that they no longer will.

Life has changed, and we just have to take things more seriously. Things we let slide in the past will now have to be looked at more closely. One thing about it though; no matter what happens, we are still going to have a great time. It IS RENO!

Comment

still squatting?

No problem with added security. Just trying to find out if anyone knows if this spectator area is to be closed off.
          Guess I'll show up Thursday an find out!
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X