No coolers on the ramp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No coolers on the ramp?

RARA Pres Mike Houghton has decreed that coolers will not be allowed into the box seats on the ramp due to "security" concerns. Since this is about the only perk that justifies the seat price, this policy sucks.

Just a heads up. If you already have your tickets (like I do) this late announcement stinks!

Maybe a phone call to Mr Houghton would convince him to change the new policy.

Please call him at 775 972 6663 or fax him at 775 972 6429. Kindly refrain from making anatomically impossible suggestions or questioning his ancestry as that will definitely not help. Just point out to him that a quick check of the coolers at the drop-off point is all that is needed.

Are they going to search everybody with a knapsack who comes through the gate? Will you have to remove your shoes?

End Rant
    Don

I am sure glad someone loves me!!!!!

Comment

Then ban all carry-in items and/or search people at the gate like at baseball parks. Move all vehicles 300 feet away from the gate like at airports.

You have some valid points but let's screw with everybody not just the people who pay extra for the seat with promised bennies.

Guess I'll lug all my food and drink in a backpack lined with plastic garbage bags since they apparently are targeting only the coolers and not checking at the gate. Unless someone has some more info to the contrary

Yeah, I'm still PO'd

Don

Comment

I think the point of extra security with the chests in the box seats would be the logistics of same...

Look where you are in relation to the reserved seats and imagine the consequences of what Bear described down in the area you are located in... up and out.. not good..

This year of all years, we need to support RARA in whatever decision they deem necessary to pull this one off..

Folks.. this could be the last one if it don't happen right, so let's all be behind them this time..

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

another reason?

....isn't one of the locally stated/posted reasons for the races and air show to raise money for charity?

.....I know, with them expanding the box seats (or is it shuffling section three down?)..the chair on the tarmac ban,the cooler ban,
          all are changes......lets just play on (by the rules)....

....I for one am quite grateful we can do these things.

....I thank all our troops,sailors,marines who are serving and protecting us now.....(I did my share of duty,but that was then,this is now)

...sorry for the flying purse....I just think we really need to pull together!.....

Mayday51
          (aka the "Grinch")
          Mayday51
          Jim Gallagher

Comment

I'll tell you what. I can be pacified if they exchange my tickets for Reserved Seating at the gate and refund the price difference. That'll go a long way toward those $6 burgers and beers that I'll have to buy now.

I support the RARA and their sponsors. As a matter of fact, Scolaries (sp) Market is a sponsor and I have left quite a bit of cash there over the years filling my coolers. And the Hagen Das Ice Cream vendors love me.

Don't take my complaining/whining as a swipe at the military. I'm a 20 year retiree from Air Force Weather. I love the military...If a certain politician had been defeated in '96, I'd still be in.

As Mark said, I plan this trip a year in advance. I make hotel reservations for the next year's races on the day I check out and as soon as ticket sales are announced, I'm there to buy. What chaps my behind is the late announcement of the change.

Take Care
            Starting to calm down...I think it is race anticipation.
            Don

Comment

cooler fix

You don't carry you cooler to the box anyway so let the coolers be provided and come with ice. You just give the guys in the truck you drinks or whatever and they can look at it put it in the cooler and deliver it to the box. Just like before only better.

Comment

coolers uncool?

Originally posted by Unregistered
                You don't carry you cooler to the box anyway so let the coolers be provided and come with ice. You just give the guys in the truck you drinks or whatever and they can look at it put it in the cooler and deliver it to the box. Just like before only better.
                It may be that no coolers will be provided or permitted at all.

And since loose/bagged ice is really difficult to search, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not allowed either.

I think attendees at the Races should try to minimize their "carry-ins" as much as possible to prevent delays, as it seems entirely likely that there will be additional security measures in place at Stead this year.

Give RARA and the vendors a little bit of a chance to re-coup their losses from last year by buying those three-dollar (or whatever) beers and 4-dollar burgers!

Comment

whats your gripe?

I don't see your problem ,
                  You're going to be at RENO are't you ?
                  you're going to be able see and hear all the sights , sounds and excitment of RENO ,right?
                  well there is a whole bunch of us who for various reasons, (money , time and distance , health etc) can not be there but would love to.
                  Be thankful for what you get and don't sweat the small stuff, YOUR GOING TO RENO!!!
                  blacksheep
                  Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Comment

Re: whats your gripe?

Well, if you read my posts, you know what my problem is.

Sorry you can't make it this year.

BTW: There may be a change (this from my box organizer):
                    ===
                    Greetings Race Fans,

Thanks to all of you who called, faxed and e-mailed your objections to the new "no cooler" security rule it has now been reconsidered by RARA. My understanding is that they had a minor avalanche of responses on this issue. When I tried to leave a voice mail Houghton's mail box was full.

RARA has decided to revise their security procedures to include the coolers and is submitting this to the TSA (no I don't know why the TSA has jurisdiction over an airshow). Barring a rejection from the TSA, coolers will be allowed this year.
                    ====
                    So apparently I can bitch about the feds (it figures) and leave RARA out of it.

Later
                    Don

Originally posted by blacksheep
                    I don't see your problem ,
                    You're going to be at RENO are't you ?
                    you're going to be able see and hear all the sights , sounds and excitment of RENO ,right?
                    well there is a whole bunch of us who for various reasons, (money , time and distance , health etc) can not be there but would love to.
                    Be thankful for what you get and don't sweat the small stuff, YOUR GOING TO RENO!!!

Comment

could be any of a dozen agencies or insurance co's making this a requirement.
                      Good thing is that there is still a show, and that there are seats on the ramp.....that privilege could have been removed at the stroke of a pen (perish the thought...)

Over zelous would be the word...a lighted cigarette flicked in the wrong direction could cause more damage than a thousand coolers full of refreshements.....
                      the other Wayne................

Comment

Dissing the RARA "cooler ban"

It's good to hear that Mike Houghton/RARA are reconsidering the cooler ban and intend to pull it.

As fuel for the "con" side of the argument, I checked out a couple of high profile venues to check their stance on coolers.

The Indy 500, Brickyard 400 (NASCAR) and the US Grand Prix, all held (or to be held) at Indianapolis Motorspeedway, with crowds well in excess of any RARA will see, had/have NO COOLER BAN. Only a limitation on size (had to be 14" or less long so they fit under the seat).

At Sears Point Raceway (nee Infineon Raceway) there is no cooler ban, only a size limit to fit under the seat. I attended the NHRA Fram National Drag Races there this last weekend and there were lots of coolers in evidence. No one (that I noticed anyway) was paranoid about their presence. I wore a backpack and no one searched it.

So I think that puts to bed the idea that coolers present some sort of unacceptable "security risk" in large spectator group situations. Obviously, it _could_ be used for evil, but so could camera bags, cameras, purses, et al.

Until coolers are implicated in multiple successful attack situations, I, personally, willingly accept the risk of a "non-banned" environment.

See you at the races,

Joe
                        Joe

Comment

NHRA and coolers

NHRA seems to have changed their mind. I just got tickets for my annual trek to the US Nationals in Indy, along with a little slip stating no coolers allowed. I for one like the ban. It lessons the obnoxious drunks who carry booze in. One thing I can't stand at airshows or races is these drunk idiots.

Comment

Just got an e-mail from Mike Houghton. Unless the TSA says "no" to your cooler when you drop it off, coolers will be allowed in the box seats.

Thank you Mike and RARA...I take back all the nasty things I was thinking.

This, plus the Rare Bear update, is absolutely making my day. WooHoo!

Don
                            Rare Bear Fan Sponsor and Box Seat Cooler Bringer

Comment

Working...
                            X