team voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• team voodoo

new pics up on team Voodoo's site....http://www.voodooairracing.com/paint.cfm

how fast will voodoo go this year?

Re: team voodoo

Didn't someone post that Voodoo was going to get a "Sparrow" Rolls Royce this year??? Wasn't it Ridge Runner with a Sparrow engine that walked by Dreadnaught last year and was dong 460 plus?
    Imagine a Sparrow engine mounted on the slick airframe of Voodoo !!
    Rampking

Comment

Then imagine it with a racing canopy again........

Comment

Mike Barrow has built Bob a wee little mouse motor for the purple racer. One can only imagine what would have been had Bob made this decision 4 years ago. In any event, it will be interesting to see what Bob will do with new found horsepower. Mouse should be tucked away under the hood within weeks and even with moderate power settings Bob now has a 440-450 mph racer under his seat. Let the Voodoo do what the Voodoo does best, Run baby run!!!!!! Good luck Bob and stay away from the rear bumper of that Buick.

Dave

Comment

The race motor is on the test stand in Ione and should be running today. There were carb problems that had to be resolved and now they are going to run the engine about 10 hours before installing it. We hope to video the running this next week. Voodoo is in Red Bluff get the bondo remove from the wings. They are putting a temporary paint job on the wings for Reno. Then the plane will go to Texas for new colors but the same scheme. Your are correct that Bob will have plenty horse power to work with this year. Should be an exciting race. Thanks for all the support. We will continue to update the Web site right up to Reno and will post info for everyone to check out.

Thanks again for your support and please check out the video we have on the web site. The interview with Bob is very informative.

Dan Schmidt

Comment

Originally posted by Embdad
            Voodoo is in Red Bluff get the bondo remove from the wings.

Considering what I saw when they first did the bondo job in '98, that should result in a couple hundred pounds coming off.

Comment

Originally posted by Embdad
              The race motor is on the test stand in Ione and should be running today. There were carb problems that had to be resolved and now they are going to run the engine about 10 hours before installing it. We hope to video the running this next week. Voodoo is in Red Bluff get the bondo remove from the wings. They are putting a temporary paint job on the wings for Reno. Then the plane will go to Texas for new colors but the same scheme. Your are correct that Bob will have plenty horse power to work with this year. Should be an exciting race. Thanks for all the support. We will continue to update the Web site right up to Reno and will post info for everyone to check out.

Thanks again for your support and please check out the video we have on the web site. The interview with Bob is very informative.

Dan Schmidt
              hey Dan,

nice job with the web site and videos.

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER

how fast will voodoo go this year?
                Damn fast! It will be fun to watch this year....

Don
                Bear Hauler
                Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
                Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

They might save some weight on Voodoo...but those profiled wings were a big part of what made her fast. Sadly, her owner is clipping her feathers a little at a time, first the canopy un-modification and now the wings...Oh well, it's his airplane.

KMac

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                    See this link for pictures of a "Mouse"

http://www.voodooairracing.com/engine.cfm

To quote Scotty,

"Its Grrreeeen."

In that interview on the Voodoo site, Bob says they're going with the MoPar versions of purple, yellow, and green with the next repaint... and that sure looks like Sassy Grass Green / Limelight Green to me :-) Love those Mopar "High Impact Colors." :-)

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                      To quote Scotty,

"Its Grrreeeen."

In that interview on the Voodoo site, Bob says they're going with the MoPar versions of purple, yellow, and green with the next repaint... and that sure looks like Sassy Grass Green / Limelight Green to me :-) Love those Mopar "High Impact Colors." :-)
                      I just hope he's going with the '70's Mopar "High Impact Colors."

Plumb Crazy Purple!!!

my other car...
                      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Why are they removing all the bondo? Wasn't that installed to make the wing smoother, hence faster??
                        Brian

Comment

I understand there's quite a bit of weight there, as well as some cracking and "delaminating" of some of the bondo.

Having said that, I also understand that a lot of the original purpose of the bondo, besides general smoothing, was to change the aerodynamics, especially on the bottom of the wing (in the area of the wheelwell doors?). This was supposed to have been derived from work done by Bill Kerchenfaut for Strega, and which was later done on Dago as well, during the big rebuild (that Tiger was involved with) in the early 90s. I believe that Tiger's shop also did much of the modification work on Voodoo.

So who knows what the effect of removing the bondo will be. I just wish they'd put the Jim Larsen-type wing fillets back on. I love the way those things look, and Kerch says they do work...

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                            I just hope he's going with the '70's Mopar "High Impact Colors."
                            I'm sure they'll "fine tune" the colors to look good on the plane, but its already pretty close to Plum Crazy Purple, Sassy Grass Green, and Lemon Twist Yellow. :-)

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                            my other car...
                            Mmmm. 1970 Charger. The '68 to '70s were the looking body the Charger ever had.

And here I thought I was the only Moparphile that hung around here....

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
                              Why are they removing all the bondo? Wasn't that installed to make the wing smoother, hence faster??
                              Brian
                              There's been many photos which show "voodoo bubbles", or delamination of the lower filled surfaces during flight. Bob mentioned on his video the delamination was one of the reasons for removing it.

The other thing that has been mentioned is obviously no two airplanes are alike and being that aircraft were built in a rapid fashion during the war, the wings were probably not built to the "actual" desired airfoil. Much of the filling work done on wings will "profile" the wing to a certain airfoil, using templates.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X