SteadFast Pre Reno 2006 update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteadFast Pre Reno 2006 update.

Well guys we're not down to the wire yet but it's getting close! Since PRS we have accomplished a lot! We have fixed so many little things that needed to be addressed. Little things that any one of which could end up grounding us on a given day of racing. The idea here is to address as many of those little things as we can so "WE" dont have to stay late after the races are over and miss cocktail hour in downtown Reno! We are now waiting on parts to come in so we can continue with our RENO "THRASH"! We are waiting on a new "Miss Trinidad" style windshield from David Hoover. This will have excellent optics as well as be more aerodynamically clean and most important "THICKER." Our friend and sponsor Larry Childs at Design It Prototype is final fitting the big spinner backplate and stabilizer ring. The afterbody will be next on the list. I sent the Carb out to be O'Hauled after a conversation with a friend in Ione about the perils of a poorly working carb. Said Carb will be here by Friday. The gear issue is 2 down on the list. We will have that addressed soon enough. We are in the middle of the oil cooler spraybar construction. The cooler exit doors closed off now and will hopefully reduce the drag of air exiting after heat expansion of the process. An aluminum 20 gallon tank will replace the back seat and will be easily moved in and out. The ailerons and rudder are at the Nut Tree with Brandt Seghetti the "world famous" fabric guy. He says they will be back on the airplane by AUG. 1. We haven't come across another small comm for a pit radio although we will have telemetry from RCATS. We would like to address the exhaust sticking out so far but havent been able to find a welder with a 115V TIG, and the time( 2-3) days to come over and mod our setup. If it stays like it is it should be a non-issue. As far as pain, (MOST ASKED QUESTION), I am trying to convince Red of a more, shall we say "conservative" paint scheme. After the ride in 911, I am trying to convince myself probably. Well, I'm tired from long days on the Yak but to see where it started to where it has come is extremely motivating to a guy who doesn't need much motivating. The BIG sponsor thing hasn't come along like I had hoped. I just have not had the time to pursue that part of this venture. Money is tight and we cannot afford any hiccups! If the mods pay off like we hope we should see a qual speed of over the 350+ MPH number we saw at PRS, weather permitting.
    Even if we don't, I've got to tell you, that I am having the time of my life trying to get this thing to Reno in September!
    Cheers!
    Will Whiteside
    Team SteadFast

Re: SteadFast Pre Reno 2006 update.

Lord that sounds like a lot of work! If the fan in the stands only knew. Even to me it all looks so effortless when I see a Racer going fast on the course. Thanks for sharing with us a bit of what goes on behind the scenes and the rest of the year.

Best of luck to all of you -- looking for well over 350!

Neal

Comment

Will,

Having been part of a couple race teams I know of the long hours and hard work you and your crew are putting into Steadfast. Beleive when I say, and I think I speak for all who post on this site we appreciate your efforts, and regardless of the performance of the racer we are all behind you 100 percent. There was a yak racer at Reno a few years ago which had an oversized spinner. Perhaps someone can help out with more information. Anyway, perhaps you could gey ahold of those folks and borrow it for the races. Just a suggestion from a fan who wants to see you succeed. Keep up the outstanding work and we will all toast your efforts in September. A few short weeks and we are racing folks. I can almost smell the 145 octane fuel now.

Dave

Comment

Will, Outstanding job to you and all involved on getting the racer ready for Sept. I'm not sure if I missed it but can you post a picture or drawing of the paint job you & Red finally chose, or are you keeping that under your hat for now? Do you have shirts now or will you at Reno?

Best of Luck,
        Dave
        Dave

Comment

I dunno Will, 350 is pretty respectable to me!
          Sounds like your enjoying it all despite the work and headaches.
          Good luck and let me know what paint scheme you eventually work up.

Leo
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
          X