Oregon Air Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon Air Show

It's about time that I looked in my back yard for some aviation action! This show actually has a pretty long history.. Way back in the 70's when I went to it, it was called the "Hillsboro Air Show". Later, it became a part of Portland's Rose Festival and it really grew.

Actually, when it was the Hillsboro show, it had a pretty good selection of airplanes, LOTS of warbirds, as those were the days werent' they (much cheaper gas). I remember one particularly entertaining session with the GoodYear blimp! (somewhere buried in my old 110 archives, I've got a shot of her) The pilot lumbered over the crowd and then did a full power pullup... once he was pretty well established deck high, he killed the power and just hung there... at *ahem* a fairly "proud" attitude... *ahem*

It's gotten a lot smaller since it went on its own again a few years ago and is now called "The Oregon Air Show" LINK TO THEIR WEBSITE and really has a small town flavor.. At least, that is my impression of what I saw there today at the media "meet and greet".

Mostly, today was a day for kids to get to meet the pilots, see the planes and FIRE ENGINES! I took lots of pix of kids but, frankly, in today's environment, I'm leery of posting them so I'll hold off till we do an actual "journalistic" piece where we're covered by "fair use" and "news" rules... also after we speak with the show folks to see how they feel about posting pix of kids on the net... (today sucks in a lot of ways!)

Anyway... Bud Granley and his son Ross will be flying the show! I've never seen Bud do his acro routine and I'm really looking forward to this! Eddie Andreini will be there and will also headline the night show set for tomorrow night.. Actually sort of neat that the Saturday show is pretty much a night show. Gates open at 2:00 PM and the show starts at 3:30.

Sunday will be more conventional with the normal 9:00 open 11:00AM start times..

I don't really have a full list of who's going to be there as far as warbirds, I did see the list and frankly, it's pretty short.. I'm hoping things shape up better than the list, as I was leaving, a Skyraider showed up and it was not on the list, as far as I saw it anyway..

If you're in the Portland, Oregon, area this weekend, stop out to the Hillsboro Airport and help support aviation, Northwest Style!

We'll have more photos and a wrap up of the show after we filter through images...

(photo captions)

Trying to be Victor Archer

Bud and Ross Granley are interviewed by the local morning crew

Who is this dogger and why is she smiling at me! (cutest dogger I've ever seen!!!!!!)
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Oregon Air Show

Originally posted by Dash
    Hey Wayne,
    I think one of our Lightning kitplanes is supposed to be there and making its first debut out west. The plane is blue and white and looks like a fixed gear Lancair, only smaller. Look and see if it's around. Brian W.
    I'll look see tomorrow (Sunday) Today I concentrated on shooting the performers, I'm headed out for only a short stay on Sunday to get the static stuff... Will look see if I can find your plane!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
      Wayne,
      I'm not sure if it'll be or not. I know that he planned on bringing it out for a static display. He isn't a very high time pilot though and when first flying the plane he had a landing mishap. It was nothing too bad, but made him a little gun shy. So he has been practicing with an instructor some and trying to get more comfortable in the plane. If he decided not to go because he didn't feel comfortable yet, then that would be perfectly understandable. Still, it's a sexy and fast little airplane. A joy to fly, but also looks good in front of the cameras.
      Rgr that.. It's noon now and I'm just getting moving. Back is sore as heck, I don't do very well standing with a camera all day these days.

I'm only planning on going out, making a sweep through the display area and then heading home for a hot bath or three..

Boy I sure learned one lesson.. NEVER NEVER NEVER leave your warm clothes in the car for a night show thinking you'll have time to go back and get them later....

We froze our butts off last night!!

I'm (seriously) gettin up in years... (be 55.... ) in a week....

Geez... that means, in a week and a day, I'll be closer to sixty than fifty!!

*groan*

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

God I hate to report this but as I was leaving the show, the Hawker Hunter which had been on static display and I believe was planning a fly by or two on departure, lost engine power and went in.

I'm watching the local news right at the moment, does not look good, looks like a few houses were involved. No word on casualties as yet.

Our most sincere thoughts of support go out to any family involved...

I'll report more here as I hear it.

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I just saw on another board that a Hawker Hunter crashed into a neighborhood during the show today. No word on if the pilot ejected, or any injuries or deaths on the ground. Prayers to all involved.

Comment

Do we know the pilot...and maybe you can't say. But can you tell me the color of the plane? And is this a plane that regularly attends airshows????
            Sorry...but I have someone I'm very worried about.

Comment

Thanks. Good news for me...but horrible news for others. I'm very sorry for their loss.

Comment

Thanks Race5 for deleting your post. As of now... I have some information Terri... but I'm not going to publish anything yet.

The Press conference is in 7 minutes, I have direct phone with one of the air bosses and when it's officially announced, I'll put something up.

Miracle, there were two kids selling raffle tickes knocking on the door of the house that was destroyed just moments before the crash, the woman who lives there was away in Portland.. The kids left because of no answer. As of now, despite the density of the neighborhood, no casualties on the ground.

Terri..

Shoot me an email, I'll tell you what I know.

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Press Briefing

The press briefing is underway, I'll post what I can as I can...

Hillsboro fire dept spokesperson Connie King reports that, at 4:28 this afternoon, an aircraft went in, three houses were damaged. No injuries on the ground. FAA is on scene, NTSB is en route.

Airshow press secretary Steve Callaway extends the airshow's condolences to all involved, reports the show has a 19 year safe record...

The local police ask that NO ONE try to access the area as this is an investigation in progress.

Hillsboro airport is open and operational at this time.

Medical examiner reports that the pilot is deceased. Name of the pilot is not officially announced at this time.

Steve Callaway reports the pilot was part of the static display, not a part of the airshow. The pilot was planning on making a pass on the show but was NOT a part of the show.
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,
                    They are broadcasting the name of the pilot locally but I'm not sure that it has been officially released due to family notification. I can say that this is a great loss to the air-racing family as this pilot was well known at Reno.
                    I knew him personally and he was a great guy!!
                    SooP

Comment

Tin Man... WARNING...

What's on that site within your link is BS and I don't appreciate the "real story"

Implication!

I'm currently watching a video of the actual crash...

NOT what happened!

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin Mz
                        Wayne,
                        They are broadcasting the name of the pilot locally but I'm not sure that it has been officially released due to family notification. I can say that this is a great loss to the air-racing family as this pilot was well known at Reno.
                        I knew him personally and he was a great guy!!
                        SooP
                        It has not been offically released. As soon as it is, I'll report it here.. I'll also delete any outside links that reveal any "truth" other than that offically reported HERE in the PDX area...

Thanks to all in advance!

Wayne Sagar
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OK.. I've deleted one post, and been PM'd twice about "censorship" so..

Here's what's known at this point. Other than the pilot's name.

The link I deleted had the airplane bottoming out in a loop and crashing into some houses..

Well, that could not have been more wrong. The airplane was a static at the Hillsboro show, on departure for home base, he was cleared for "several" passes, completely within the FAA's non airshow rules regs.... airspeed, altitude, etc. Passes only, no performance!!!

Upon takeoff, *some* witnesses said they thought he was not producing normal power. It was noted, however, subsequentially, that he seemed to climb normally.

At some point during the "pattern" coming around from departure for his flybys, he was noted to be at a very low altitude and attention was diverted to him.

A video shows him very low, apparently without power and just before disappearing behind trees, he is seen fairly well nose high.

Witnesses at the scene, as well as the crash site itself, bear out that once out of view of the video, he stalled and went straight in. Damage was not wide spread, one house totally destroyed, three others damaged to varying degrees.

NO cause is known yet, no reported injuries on the ground other than a firefighter overcome by heat exhaustion. Pilot's name is being withheld until next of kin can be properly notified.

Please, do not post any links to further "information" until next of kin have been OFFICIALLY notified. What is written above is what is OFFICIALLY known at this point.

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Wayne
                              You've got your panties in a bunch. I posted a link to another aviation news magizine, I didn't make any editorial comment about the crash.
                              Turrns out that site this morning has modified their report on the accident.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X