3 or 4 blades for Rare Bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 or 4 blades for Rare Bear?

Just curious if they ever determined which prop was the best for the Bear........and if it is the 3 blade.....why aren't they using it?? Thanks.
    Brian

Re: 3 or 4 blades for Rare Bear?

Originally posted by supercub
    Just curious if they ever determined which prop was the best for the Bear........and if it is the 3 blade.....why aren't they using it?? Thanks.
    Brian
    SuperCub... I've managed to pick up a bit of the information on this subject.. I'm sure others can step in here and confirm/deny my info..

I believe the airplane handles a LOT better without the gyroscopic effect of the three blader... That is HUGE for this particular airplane. I don't think time/money has ever been available to actually do some runs in similar conditions with both props to make a valid comparison... but, it's important to remember, the airplane holds a pretty significant speed record and it was set with the four blader on.

It has also won two years in a row now with the 4x on there...

That said, she sure sounds good with the 3x on her!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, how many years did she win with the 3 blader?
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

From what I was able to gathe at the last couple of Reno trips, the 3-blder was better when going straight but looses performance in the turns. The 4 blader is alot more smooth through the whole course. But of course the 3 blader sounds so much more mean!

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
          Wayne, how many years did she win with the 3 blader?
          The 3-blade went on in 1990. She won Reno '90, '91, and '94 with it, plus Phoenix in '94 and '95.

The 4-blade has won at Cape May '71, Miami '73, Mojave '73, Hamilton '88, and Reno '73, '75, '88, '89, '04, and '05.

It also set the speed record AND time-to-climb record with the four blade.

Fastest 'race' speed was turned in with the three-blade, though.

Comment

Did they ever consider that 5-blader so common in the Furies ?
            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
              The 3-blade went on in 1990. She won Reno '90, '91, and '94 with it, plus Phoenix in '94 and '95.

The 4-blade has won at Cape May '71, Miami '73, Mojave '73, Hamilton '88, and Reno '73, '75, '88, '89, '04, and '05.

It also set the speed record AND time-to-climb record with the four blade.

Fastest 'race' speed was turned in with the three-blade, though.
              As I recall, and correct me if I am wrong, wasn't Lyle leading the last lap in '74 at the finish and got penalized for not adhering to the Mayday procedures when Cliff Cummins? blew the engine on Miss Candice? And then the big controversy with Bob Love followed giving the win to Miss Suzi Q and Ken Bernstein?
              Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                As I recall, and correct me if I am wrong, wasn't Lyle leading the last lap in '74 at the finish and got penalized for not adhering to the Mayday procedures when Cliff Cummins? blew the engine on Miss Candice? And then the big controversy with Bob Love followed giving the win to Miss Suzi Q and Ken Bernstein?

Yes, Lyle should have won...but it was actually Mac McClain in the Red Baron who mayday'd out on the second lap...and Lyle didn't hear it over the radio, so he didn't pull up to 500 feet (which were the rules back then), so he was penalized.

Lyle should also have won at Mojave '74, but Mac passed him on the outside right at the finish line...and he never saw him.

Same story, different year at Mojave '75, when Cliff Cummins passed Lyle coming off the last turn of the last lap.

Mojave never was very kind to Lyle. Sad, considering he was one of the partners in Air Race Management, who PUT ON the Mojave races.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                  Yes, Lyle should have won...but it was actually Mac McClain in the Red Baron who mayday'd out on the second lap...and Lyle didn't hear it over the radio, so he didn't pull up to 500 feet (which were the rules back then), so he was penalized.
                  I was soooooo close to getting my GEEK qualification card with another punch in it today. HAH! I ALMOST said Mac Mclain, and even had it typed in, but I had him in Miss Candice, then went back and at least got the right guy associated with the right plane. DRATS, foiled again. The quality of my pictures from 74 suck for the most part, but I do have a picture of RB flying way high over the grandstands with a smoking engine. Looks kinda silvery though, probably because of the intense back lighting, so I was not thinking Red Baron.And I was there.
                  Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

If its the "People's" racer, I say we put it to a vote. THREE BLADES! That is the most bad arse prop ever.

I thought I saw a photo somewhere of the three blade spinner being turned into a four blade spinner. If that's true, it could be a real hassle to switch back.
                    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                      Did they ever consider that 5-blader so common in the Furies ?
                      Isn't that the wrong direction?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                        Isn't that the wrong direction?

Jarrod
                        Yup. Just turn the pilot's seat around and call it a Rutan.
                        No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                        http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini
                          Yup. Just turn the pilot's seat around and call it a Rutan.
                          Even I, the EZ driver, find that hard to fathom!

Believe it or not, one of the most common ramp questions with the EZ is, "Hey mister, which way does that thing go?"
                          Attached Files
                          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                            Even I, the EZ driver, find that hard to fathom!

Believe it or not, one of the most common ramp questions with the EZ is, "Hey mister, which way does that thing go?"

i'm still waiting for an answer
                            heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini
                              If its the "People's" racer, I say we put it to a vote. THREE BLADES! That is the most bad arse prop ever.

I thought I saw a photo somewhere of the three blade spinner being turned into a four blade spinner. If that's true, it could be a real hassle to switch back.
                              That spinner is still in the Bear Cave. With only three holes. The four blade has it's own, and is a way different shape.

Comment

Working...
                              X