Forever Young......the movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forever Young......the movie

This is the movie with Mel Gibson who plays a test pilot and is frozen and thawed out years later. I'm curious where the flying scenes where shot. Looks like maybe the airport scenes are at Van Nuys......but just guessing. Where were the scenes of the landing at the old house along the ocean filmed. Sure does look like they made a landing in a grass field. Thanks for the info.
    Brian

Re: Forever Young......the movie

I herd that steve Hinton's son he was just a baby then he had a scean in the movie Shawn

Comment

good movie. The part where he flys over the river and up the coast was filmed in sonoma county. The river is the Russian River. The lighthouse shots were taken at Point Arena light neer the town of Mendocino. Yes they did land the B-25 on the bluff overlooking the coast. The house was made for the movie. They have an exibit at the lighthouse where there is more info on the filming. There is also another lighthouse in the area also for those interested. Norm.

Comment

the airfield scene was filmed at the Los Alamitos reserve base, i saw some of the aircraft fly in for the filming. the b-25 takeoff scene was filmed from the control tower.
        lots of movies are filmed there due to location & security,
        clear & present danger, apollo 13. the history channel series with George C. Scott was also filmed there in 90-92.

Comment

Looks like they actually land the B-25 in a grass field near an old house next to the ocean. Did they actually do that? If so, was that also at Point Arena. Thanks for the info.
          Brian

Comment

I found it hard to believe also, since there's not too much room out near the lighthouse at Point Arena. The Wife and I (yes, someone married me) used to spend all of our anniversaries at the near by Warfmaster inn where Mel Gibson and some of the crew stayed during the filming. The light house has a little museum right next to it with some pictures from when the movie was filmed, with the B-25 parked next to the lighthouse. Some of the locals were out there when the landing happened. I would think that landing on wet grass, heading toward a huge cliff and open ocean, would be much more difficult than taking off from an aircraft carrier!

Race 29
            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I believe some info on the landing is in the museum. I think it says they landed north of the lighthouse mayby half a mile, where they built the house. they also built a wooden runway to land and take off from. This just from memory of the museum Norm

Comment

Working...
              X