"Who's Going To Win" The "Other" Classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Who's Going To Win" The "Other" Classes

Who do you think will win the "other" classes at Reno 2006?

Re: "Who's Going To Win" The "Other" Classes

T-6 - #75
    Sport - #33
    IF1 - #11
    Biplane - #13

Comment

Not if we can help it!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 22 mech
        Not if we can help it!
        Inquiring minds want to know, who will be faster Steve or Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Warren_C
          Inquiring minds want to know, who will be faster Steve or Mary
          Other inquiring minds want to know which one will actually be 'legal' this year....

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
            Other inquiring minds want to know which one will actually be 'legal' this year....
            What are you saying? lol

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
              Legal? In any "stock" class racing there's three sets of rules:
              1. The book rules.
              2. What the book doesn't tell you.
              3. What the winners do.

Every T-6 winner in the last several years (except Frost) was within the letter of the rules. The winners push hard, but nowhere near as hard as the Winston West racers I worked with back when dinosaurs walked the earth. I would be fairly confident to say that since Frost's departure, T-6 has stuck to the letter of the law.
              Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Foam
                Every T-6 winner in the last several years (except Frost) was within the letter of the rules. The winners push hard, but nowhere near as hard as the Winston West racers I worked with back when dinosaurs walked the earth. I would be fairly confident to say that since Frost's departure, T-6 has stuck to the letter of the law.
                I think that pretty much every T-6 racer thinks that whoever won on a given year has "cheated" in some way or other... This is based on comments spoken "lightly" in private...

Whether or not they actually do remains a question....

Personally, I liked the way the class was going under Steve Dilda, it was headed more towards a "Super T-6" racing class. Kind of NASCARish, or at least, like NASCAR used to be when actual modified production cars were raced.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out with the rules rolling back, somewhat, under the new leadership.

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

IF1- Gary Hubler or David Hoover without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    IF1- Gary Hubler or David Hoover without a doubt.
                    Endeavor for sure. Anyone know if he will ever offer a kit? I want to see what still lurks in an O-200. I seen some ported cylinders and think there is about 10% more to fetch in that area. Valves and Rods could stand improvement too.

Comment

I get a little touchy about this every time the "legal" or "cheating" accusations are thrown out.

Each team has their own secrets, no question about that. But the T-6’s have very intrusive tech inspections.

It’s funny that tech inspection after tech inspection and even after protest inspection we still come up legal to race. We did win Gold last year, but in previous years there were second, third and other place finishes. We got beat those years by airplanes that were just faster than us or did not have as many problems as we had that year, NOT by teams that were cheating.

I think people need to be a little careful when they make an accusation that someone is cheating.

Comment

In any kind of "class" racing you are going to have racers push the rules right to the limit. If you don't, you will be a follower.

We do have very specific class rules, and ALL the T-6's you see race at Reno have passed a tech inspection to assure they meet these rules.

I agree with Chip, it sure as hell aint easy to win- look at our race record: http://warbird.com/wrlkhx.html

A given in racing is you have one winner- this automatically puts a target on you because everyone else is pissed because they didn't win.
                        Then you get the "well we did this, or we did that- and couldn't beat you" crap. There aint no secret to it, ask Chip and his crew- ask the Van Fossen gang- ask Macy's crew- ask ANY team that has won- it's who is smartest, and does the most work- who is best prepared. Thats it, plain and simple.
                        Looking forward to racing you again this year Chip, and we aint gonna make it easy for Mary to defend the championship! All the best, RG
                        Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                        RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
                          Endeavor for sure. Anyone know if he will ever offer a kit? I want to see what still lurks in an O-200. I seen some ported cylinders and think there is about 10% more to fetch in that area. Valves and Rods could stand improvement too.
                          looking to poor yourself into a fiberglass jello container there mike? hehehehe
                          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Jason Somes may win EVERY class??

More cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by Race 22 mech
                              I think people need to be a little careful when they make an accusation that someone is cheating.
                              Unless its true?

I've spoken with a friend of mine who is a former multiple Championship winner in the T-6 class...and his comment was that EVERYONE up front cheats....some just cheat more than others.

In fact, this gentleman went on to tell me some of the things that he and his team did to distract tech inspectors and fellow competitors....to draw their attention AWAY from where the real cheating was going on.

"Oh yeah...you caught me...I guess I'll take that off". Meanwhile, airplane still goes just as fast, because they didn't find what was REALLY going on.

So please don't give me the 'be careful about what you throw around' speech.....as Bill the Poet would say "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much..." Cheating is what you make of it...and it hits a lot closer to home once you've been caught.

Comment

Working...
                              X