Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for Randy Goss

Hey Randy -- Some questions...

Here are a couple of stock T-6s -- there are all sorts of access panels and doors, and even major fuselage panels that stick out, flex, bulge etc when on the course. #16 even has a little door above the steps that popped open at times.
    Attached Files

Re: Questions for Randy Goss

Here is Dennis's new toy. Not only is it markedly cleaner overall, with no bulging or tweaking, but it appears that some of the little doors and access panels are actually missing.

I realize that there is as much gray as there is black and white in your rules, but to what degree are builders allowed to actually change the fuselage? Do the fast guys put in any stiffeners or anything to help hold the big skin panels in place at speed?

Was Randy Difani the first to remove his wing walks for racing?

Also, who started the practice of taping the rear canopy etc. for racing? Seems like this has just happened over the last 4 or 5 years or so.
    Attached Files

Comment

A certain racer mentioned at the Nag banquet a few years ago that "you have to make it more stock to go faster!"

Michael

Comment

To what degree was this airplane originally built up for racing? Any idea how heavy it is? How much was Al Worth involved in it -- he worked for Morgan at the time didn't he?

I'm curious because of Buehn -- he's raced a lot of T-6s over the years but has never won the Gold. He laid down what looked like a couple of very hot laps on Saturday at PRS. Larry Klassen was around during PRS. So I'm wondering if Dennis may have an eye on your Dad, Mary and Nick...

I don't know anything -- just curious.

Neal
        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Neal,

Good observation! The panels and doors you see are different on all the various models of the T-6/SNJ's. The little door above the step on #16 is actually a fresh air vent for the back seat. The rectangular door above that is a fire extinguisher access door.

It is within our class rules to flush patch a lot of these panels, and even flush rivet and fill the entire side panel.

Regarding weight, we have a minimum of 4,000lbs with 50 gallons of fuel and the pilot on board, I have never seen a T-6 so light that ballast had to be added

#43 should be very competitive this year, good airframe and Dennis knows all the little secrets that add up to a few mph.

Should be a fun year, really looking forward to the races!

Neal, I can email you a set of T-6 class rules if you are interested.

All the best, RG

Comment

Thanks Randy -- I would indeed be interested. I've never seen the class rules...

So how much lighter are the fastest racers compared to a "real" stocker?

Neal

Comment

Not nearly as much as you would think Neal.

Most are around 3800-4000lbs empty

I heard "rumors" years ago that one weighed @3500, but I just dont see how you could possibly take out that much weight- 300 lbs is a HUGE pile of aluminum! RG
              Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Buehn, even though I don't know the man. He was the pilot for my very first pace plane ride (in Jim Mott's airplane, I think), at Mojave 79. I'll never forget the moment when after the race he just taxied up in front of the crowd, turned around and said "OK, hop out". This was the first time I'd ever even seen a T-6 back seat. and I very vividly remember a very long moment standing on the seat,with the motor running and Dennis waiting, while I stared at that little step and that LONG step down to the wing, 2 cameras around my neck, trying to guess which foot I was supposed to start with. I was seriously scared of hurting myself, breaking my cameras, making an utter fool of myself, or all of the above.

A few years later I had a pace plane ride with Dennis in an absolutely wonderful airplane he had at the time. It had a geared 1340 and 3 bladed (Otter?) prop and was unlike any T-6 I've ever been in -- smoother, quieter...

I also like that he is one of the original crew that built up Rare Bear back at the end of the Sixties. Also that he bought and restored the very Grumman Albatross that he was crew chief for in the Air Force at Guantanamo before that...

An interesting character. I wonder how many T-6s he's built?

Neal

Comment

Working...
                X