Sweet Sounds of Allison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Sounds of Allison

Just got back from the unlimited hydroplane races at Tri-Cities WA (OK, I know they run on water, but they share a close kinship to air racing and racers). The Cooper family debuted their new piston powered unlimited hydroplane, running a twin turbocharged Allison. It ran 137+ first time out on Saturday, and 141+ Sunday morning. Not bad for the boat's first time in the water. Unfortunately, a broken strut was found following Sunday morning's run and no spare was available, so they were forced to trailer the boat for the remainder fo the day.

Even with the turbos, the sweet Allison sound is loud and clear.

Look/listen for the U-2, Vacationville.com sponsored, unlimited hydroplane at Seafair in Seattle this weekend

Hmmm, no pics ?? Let me see what I can do.

Saw the Master Tire hydro run at Madison, Indiana and Detroit the following week. a treat for sure. When I got to the pits on Sun. morning in Detroit, the twin turbo'd Allison wasn't even in the boat. I inquired and was told it only takes about 15 minutes to install it, and they weren't bs'ing me at all. Popped a hose that connects the turbo to the intake ? and didn't get a lap in during the first heat. minor repair from what I could see and she was back in the water for the second heat and did well. There was a turbine boat either catching her or lapping her, but everyone was cheering for the Master Tire hydro when it came past the pits, trying hard to outrun the turbine.... This was not the new hull by the way.

Duane
    One more blade and a little less roar, Team Rare Bear ROCKED in 2004 !

Comment

The hydro is the U-3, not the U-2.

How did the 141+ measureup against the turbines? Ten turbine boats qualified with 162+ the fastest, 143+ the slowest.

Go to http://www.hydroprop.com/hydros/ for more info and pictures.

Comment

Not sure how I feel...

There are those whom I have met in the airplane industry who are pretty mad at those guys for using up the available supply of V-12s by dropping them into boats and blowing them up as fast as they could get their hands on them.

I really don't know what to feel about those guys...

Some could say the same for air racers, but then, the motors were made for airplanes, and airplane racers are not as willing to push the motors since, if the air racers do push them until they fail, instead of slowing down on the water, they tend to fall out of the sky.

Interesting...

Comment

V-12 that float?

I kinda wish they'd not use them and keep them for the airplane guys...

Scotty G
          Scotty G

Comment

Some pix from Bearfan1

Duane could not get the board to accept his images so here goes...
            Attached Files
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Another From Bearfan1

Another one from Duane....
              Attached Files
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

More Floating V-12 Images from BEARFAN1

Yet another
                Attached Files
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

One more floating V-12 image from Duane (bearfan1)

Last one.. purty! I think Griffon Girl was there also.. we may see some from her here as well.. she sent them and it looks like it was a cool race!
                  Attached Files
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: V-12 that float?

Originally posted by Scotty G
                    I kinda wish they'd not use them and keep them for the airplane guys...

Scotty G
                    Trust me, having worked as a crewmember on an unlimited hydroplane team, the warbird community isn't losing anything by the hydros using Allisons and (back in the day) Merlins.

For the most part, the pieces and parts used in the boats are decidedly non-flightworthy. They barely stay together while in the boats....

Interestingly, the Griffons that the Miss Budweiser purshased and built up in the 80s were all flightworthy -- I believe off Shackletons, but I'm not certain -- and those same engines are what Precious Metal and Miss A were/are running.

Comment

Re: Re: V-12 that float?

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                      Interestingly, the Griffons that the Miss Budweiser purshased and built up in the 80s were all flightworthy -- I believe off Shackletons, but I'm not certain -- and those same engines are what Precious Metal and Miss A were/are running.
                      Not the "exact" same though, at least not in MA2's case. They were getting their engines direct from England, I believe from Rolls themselves.

Interestingly, Bill Rogers once told me that the Rolls guys said that of all the engines they ever built, that last run of Griff's was the engine they felt most comfortable with being "hot rodded"

How's things in the "Mud Eagle" community Randy!!

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Allison Pics

Thanks Wayne for getting the photos on the site, appreciate it !!

Duane
                        One more blade and a little less roar, Team Rare Bear ROCKED in 2004 !

Comment

Re: Allison Pics

Originally posted by bearfan1
                          Thanks Wayne for getting the photos on the site, appreciate it !!

Duane
                          My pleasure Duane, hope you can get the upload process workin for ya! You can only upload one at a time, maybe that's it??

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I spent some time at the Cooper family race shop this summer and they only use engines that have been boatraced and tractor pulled for their racing, they even weld broken cases up so they dont have to use the good aircraft stuff in boats, they even bought an allison that was on ebay....Stacked against the wall was over a dozen aircraft worthy allisons that are available. I took pictures, just need to get them developed

Comment

Originally posted by Griffonsrule
                              I spent some time at the Cooper family race shop this summer and they only use engines that have been boatraced and tractor pulled for their racing, they even weld broken cases up so they dont have to use the good aircraft stuff in boats, they even bought an allison that was on ebay....Stacked against the wall was over a dozen aircraft worthy allisons that are available. I took pictures, just need to get them developed
                              Is RR still making merlins/griffons or small plane motors?? How bout anyone still making the Rounds?? I know for fact that Catipiller ( the machinery company) is making a v-12 turbo deisel that displaces 1649 cubic inches (this baised off the Allison motor??) So, isn't it possible to find blocks and the like to keep building these things without having to scrape to find the nistolgic pieces??
                              I have the need for speed. Unfotunately I am grounded to the rent-mobiles (aka slow, econo-box cars).

Comment

Working...
                              X