Red Bulls P-38

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bulls P-38

Ezell has posted some GREAT photos or his web site, http://www.ezellaviation.com/Past%20...38/engfit.html, looks like the project is coming along nicely,

Re: Red Bulls P-38

The white skin panel just under the forward cockpit window on the left side... is that an original skin from White Lightnin?
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Maybe a good sign, hate to see that panel covered by paint, now if they just paint the whole thing white who knows
      WHITE LIGHTNING flying again sponsored by RedBUll

Comment

I bet the engine colors point toward a Red Bull paint scheme. After all, it's a marketing message for them. Hope it stays stateside.
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I think after a stateside tour this thing is heading to Germany. I am flat out terrified that they are going to paint it red and blue.
          _________
          -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
            I think after a stateside tour this thing is heading to Germany. I am flat out terrified that they are going to paint it red and blue.
            Why Germany?

Red Bull aircraft are based at Salzburg, which was in Austria last time I looked.

Der Hangar-7 am Salzburg Airport ist ein einzigartiges Gebäude, welches eine Sammlung von historischen Flugzeugen der Flying Bulls sowie Formel-1-Rennwagen beherbergt.

I think it'll look really good in the Red Bull corporate colours, just like the UK-based Sea Vixen!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51
              I think it'll look really good in the Red Bull corporate colours, just like the UK-based Sea Vixen!
              P-38 in Red Bull colors? Ick!!!

I'm sure our brethren in the UK would rather see the Sea Vixen in Fleet Air Arm colors if given a choice in the matter.

Comment

Thanx for the reminder. I've been visiting the restoration pages regularly, but I missed the last month or so. A fresh Allison is a pretty sight, isn't it?

There seems to be a bug with the "Gondola Skinning" page though...All it shows is one picture of the Allison and it says ENGINE FITTING at the top of the page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51
                  Why Germany?

Red Bull aircraft are based at Salzburg, which was in Austria last time I looked.
                  My apologies; I certainly meant Austria, not Germany. Still not happy about it either way.
                  _________
                  -Matt

Comment

Why NOW?

I still can't believe that some of you are bitching about what color that plane will be painted in, and where it is going to be based. You all act like it is some sort of entitlement that JUST BECAUSE you liked it, you feel it should stay painted as White Lightnin and kept here for your enjoyment.

He who forks over the cash has the right to do with it whatever the hell he wants.

Where were all you people when John Crocker's Mustang was converted to a TF? It WON a Reno race. Same thing with Stiletto when Preston decided it was worth more. How come you people weren't standing up and moaning about this? Or even the worst atrocity of all, when Kermit Weeks bought and converted Paul Mantz's P-51B back to a stocker.

I just don't understand what the uproar is. The history of the plane will still be there. Can't take away the memories, unless you let them.

Just my .02

Comment

Re: Why NOW?

Originally posted by speeddemon
                      He who forks over the cash has the right to do with it whatever the hell he wants.
                      We know that. We're not dumb. I suppose we complain to emphasize the perceived losses to the legacies of Reno racing and Lefty, and (more positively) to really recognize what those parties contributed to Reno's heritage.

Same thing with Stiletto when Preston decided it was worth more. How come you people weren't standing up and moaning about this?
                      I complain about that several times a year, thanks.
                      _________
                      -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
                        We know that. We're not dumb. I suppose we complain to emphasize the perceived losses to the legacies of Reno racing and Lefty, and (more positively) to really recognize what those parties contributed to Reno's heritage.

I complain about that several times a year, thanks.
                        Yeah, but complaining about it AFTER the fact doesn't solve anything.

If you wanted to preserve Lefty's legacy, what about when he had to sell Thunderbird to keep the Lightning flying? Thunderbird was the plane that Lefty WON in.

Again...just an observation.

Comment

Yeah, but complaining about it AFTER the fact doesn't solve anything.
                          True enough. I don't plan to solve any of these problems until I have more change in the bank.

If you wanted to preserve Lefty's legacy,
                          I said "recognize" not "preserve".

what about when he had to sell Thunderbird to keep the Lightning flying? Thunderbird was the plane that Lefty WON in.
                          Good point. I actually thought about that when I wrote my earlier post.
                          _________
                          -Matt

Comment

I think the Red Bull organization will do it right, with a proper farewell

So here is how I see. Like GG, WL after the resto will make the rounds picking up all the appropriate hardware (awards). Lastly, heading west to Reno to the RR heritage, we will see Lefty's 38 one last time make some non-competition photo laps around the pylons before heading to Europe.

Comment

A paintjob is just a paintjob. Personally, it's more important that the airplane is getting a thorough rebuild and will have serious TLC when it's flying again. THAT is what is most important. Everything else is just petty whining.

If any of you guys read WIX, there's an ongoing thread over there about a P-51B that Roush is rebuilding. A relative of the guy who flew that actual airplane is all torn up that it's not going to be painted up in the colors of that guy.

The same story applies...first off, the guy who writes the checks gets to decide how an airplane is painted. Second, it's more important to have a restored airplane flying and painted up incorrectly than having it be "correct" and still sitting on the bottom of a lake.

Besides...military airplanes, when they're in military service, don't BELONG to anyone but the taxpayers. Hell, I flew about 15 different tail numbers during 6 weeks of combat back in 2003. The one that had "my" name on it (88-1671) was only "mine" for the short bit that I was in the squadron. It "belonged" to someone else back during Desert Storm...the fact that I have no damn clue who that guy is should tell you something. The guy whose name is on it today probably has no clue who I am, nor what that specific jet did in combat in 1991 and in 2003.

Bottom line is, there's a MUCH BIGGER PICTURE to worry about than what paintjob the airplane has.

Comment

Working...
                              X