Movie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Questions

I was surfin the web and I found some other pics from PRS. One was of the Precious Metal I know (the one with counter-rotating props), then there was a few more of the P-51A that wore the same markings as Precious Metal (the one I know); even the name was spot on. I know that they were shooting a lot of scenes for the movie but how do the two airplanes come together? Is there something blatenly obvious that I do not know about or am I such a rookie that I don't know anything? Just wonderin if any of ya'll have anything that can help clear this up for me.
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Re: Movie Questions

My inclination is to think of it like any other tv big screen drama... Look at Days of Thunder.. Don't they wreck a few cars and a few people get hurt? Build a better mousetrap to win? Add a love story in the center too. I dunno for sure, but those are possibilities.

Michael

Comment

Matt-
      The way I understood it, that is supposed to be "Precious Metal II" the 'sister' ship to PM in the ficticious racing team. We'll see....

Paul

Comment

You guys who were there probably gathered a lot of the plot line of the movie...

I've read the script and was there in many of the scenes being shot doing production stills for the company.. I'm bound by an "NDA" and can not divulge details about the movie.

Paul, I can say, you are correct... There are two separate Precious Metal airplanes in the Precious Metal Air Racing Team within the movie....

Lots of plot twists, the obligatory love interest fast cars, faster women and even faster airplanes..

And the biggie.... very likely some of the best cinematography EVER shot of air racing is in the precious little digital tapes in the hands of the producers of this movie...

I have not seen them yet, but have been told by those who have that the footage taken from the chopper cam is out of this world!

THIS movie is gonna ROCK big time!

If any of you did happen to pick up a lot of detail of the plotline while watching the filming this last week... PLEASE keep it to yourselves and don't post it anywhere in public.. OK!!??

The producers would really like to keep the plot a secret until release next year.

Thanks!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by tvrphoto
          Wayne, all I wanna know is, does the ship still sink at the end or did they finally miss the iceburg this time?
          No, one of the male leads dies during the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo and the surviving guy decides marry the widow and raise the baby as his own.

Comment

Only to have the brother of the lead come in to claim paternity to the baby and start a long legal battle to win custody. I saw it on a Springer rerun.. I promise!!
            Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

No... no... no...
              The Aliens came down from the sky. It was their machines that were hidden under the ground.
              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

....When suddenly, Tom Cruise comes swooping in, hanging onto the tailhook of a smoking & burning F-14 by his toes, gets the beautiful girl and saves the day for everyone! Roll credits....

Well, that's what would happen if he had anything to do with the script anyway (I guess I shouldn't have watched TOP GUN and DAYS OF THUNDER back-to-back last week)

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                  (I guess I shouldn't have watched TOP GUN and DAYS OF THUNDER back-to-back last week)
                  Sucker for pain, eh?
                  _________
                  -Matt
                  Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Okay, so I saw some of the photos of the actors over at MustangsMustangs....and I've gotta say that I hope that this is not an indicator of what the movie's actually gonna be like.

The "pilot" of Precious Metal looks like a complete doof, and the shot of the woman on the tire of PM wearing the helmet makes me think of "Iron Eagle".

Please, please, PLEASE somebody tell me this is not going to turn out something that air racing is going to be embarassed of.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                      Okay, so I saw some of the photos of the actors over at MustangsMustangs....and I've gotta say that I hope that this is not an indicator of what the movie's actually gonna be like.

The "pilot" of Precious Metal looks like a complete doof, and the shot of the woman on the tire of PM wearing the helmet makes me think of "Iron Eagle".

Please, please, PLEASE somebody tell me this is not going to turn out something that air racing is going to be embarassed of.
                      Randy... OK.. I'll tell ya, this is not going to be something that air racing is embarrassed of....

Kind of a harsh statement "doof"..? dontcha think? Just spent a week with the cast, "Hawk" is actually a REALLY cool guy. Would not matter to me if he was "starring" in a flick about horses and cows. He's a "larger than life" sort of guy but he's really.. "real". Zero star factor, zero holier than though. In fact, somewhere, we have a shot of the dood tug of warring with Daver Mueller's dogger using the dog's soft "frizbie" and both are using their teeth to do the tug...

Pretty damn down to earth if you ask me.

Frankly, some of you guys piss me off sometimes.

Somebody does something to try to advance the sport and you piss on their wheaties before you even know squat about what they are doing.

Sorry Randy, I respect who you are and what you do but geez man...

Give em a break and half a chance to prove to you they are worthy...

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, your point is well taken and respected. Conversely, I believe (and I can't speak for Hacker or others) that air racing does not need a movie for the sport to advance, mainly because it is a highly sophisticated sport that seems to advance itself in small increments, whenever conditions permit. This is just IMHO and suggests people who feel the same will be extra-defensive about the way the sport is portrayed to the rest of the world in a movie.
                        _________
                        -Matt
                        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
                          air racing does not need a movie for the sport to advance, mainly because it is a highly sophisticated sport that seems to advance itself in small increments, whenever conditions permit
                          Tell that to guys like Bill Rogers and Dale Stolzer who are going to have to retire from air racing due to lack of sponsorship...

Maybe Lyle Shelton if/when he runs out of funding due to lack of sponsor dollars...

You guys have a lot of opinions and they are to be respected but bottom line. $$ bring airplanes to the table. Those dollars can come from the racers pockets, or, elsewhere (i.e. Sponsors)... if we run out of guys with deep pockets, then we rely on sponsor dollars..

However it runs out, I hate to see guys like Bill Rogers and Dale Stolzer, Lyle Shelton and others leave the sport because they are not rich doods. They are TRUE air racers and what makes the sport what it is.

A not so good movie brought stock car racing from a pretty successful sport to a HUGELY successful sport. If a movie can do a trick for air racing, then it should be made and we should PRAY that it is accepted by the average joe, particularly the younger crowd average joe/jill and that top line companies decide that it deserves MARKET DOLLARS...

The sport needs money to succeed/grow....

Marketing is the answer to this.. got any better answers???

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                            Frankly, some of you guys piss me off sometimes.

Somebody does something to try to advance the sport and you piss on their wheaties before you even know squat about what they are doing.

Sorry Randy, I respect who you are and what you do but geez man...Give em a break and half a chance to prove to you they are worthy...

Now you know how I feel about a few things that have been going on. Someone tries to do their job and all people want to do is bust their balls over it.

Comment

Okay, take a deep breath and un-bunch your panties, Wayne. I was commenting on Curtis' photos, not on the whole project.

I have no idea what the script is like, what the actors are like, what the director is like. None. Again, not trying to piss on the project or anyone involved in it...just giving my opinion on the PHOTOS.

The photos look, to me, like they're portraying just another B-movie that happens to have some aviation in it (think "Stealth", or "Firebirds" or any number of these total lame ducks). Actors that say and do things that no pilot would ever actually do because they have no experience in it themselves.

The one that made me roll my eyes is of the woman standing on the tire with the helmet on and mask up. WTF is that all about? Every pilot I know that wears a helmet for a living (except Navy pilots, who have to keep it on by their own rules) takes that thing off as soon as the engine stops. It just gave me flashbacks to Doug Masters and Chappie Sinclair walking across the flightline in Iron Eagle on their way to getting a 16-year old some fight time in the F-16. Gay, gay, gay. Again, I didn't say this WAS the case with the Reno movie...I was pleading for this to NOT be the case.

Personally, I'd love to see it be very successful. Great for the sport, great for the owners, all that kind of stuff. But...I don't care how hot the chicks are, or how cool the cinematography is. If the actors have dumb dialogue or do things that are just not in the same neighborhood as being real, then that just kills the whole thing in my book. Yet another pseudo-aviation flick destined for the bottom shelf at BlockBuster Video.

So, I certainly haven't been involved in the production like you, Wayne, so I don't know what you do about it. It's certainly a GREAT opportunity. A producer and director who are wholeheartedly aviation people, the participation of some great warbird pilots and owners...that's all great, and I hope it pans out.

Hope it pans out better than the last two Reno movies they tried to film. Or, the Tunica Air Races. Or, the Xtreme Air Racing PC game.

Comment

Working...
                              X