Sport Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Class

I heard that there was a clipped wing Venture at PRS. Info or pictures anyone?
    Thanks

Re: Sport Class

I've got some close-ups of the wing tip... didn't know it was clipped though. But when it really comes down to it, I don't know much about the Venture at all. Give me a few days and I will put the pics up.
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

I saw it, and it was hauling ass.

Comment

Ah too bad it will ground loop during qualifications and be out of the race early in the week.

Comment

doncha mean subtracted the clipped wings?
          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
            I've got some close-ups of the wing tip... didn't know it was clipped though. But when it really comes down to it, I don't know much about the Venture at all. Give me a few days and I will put the pics up.
            Some people know a lot about Ventures, we look forward to the pics...

Mike Dacy has been around for quite a while, and there was another pilot I met in 2000 who was building a clip wing Venture. Never found out if he kept the project after all the landing accidents.
            Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Foam
              Mike Dacy has been around for quite a while, and there was another pilot I met in 2000 who was building a clip wing Venture. Never found out if he kept the project after all the landing accidents.
              IIRC, there is a new landing gear available for the Venture. I believe Mike has already incorporated it.

Comment

Mike's Venture has clipped wings, new tips soon, gear fixed, motor (wow). He flew without any water spray, almost no boost, both seats and all interior trim (including a map pocket). Rumor has it one practice lap was 1 min. 10 sec.

Comment

OK, found a little time and an internet connection to get these out... here are the shoots I got of the Venture. Not the best but they should work.
                  Attached Files
                  Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                  My Photos
                  My Ride

Comment

Stevo
                    Thanks for the pictures, its hard to tell if the wing has been clipped or not. It appears to be a stock wing tip however.
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      Mike's Venture has clipped wings, new tips soon, gear fixed, motor (wow). He flew without any water spray, almost no boost, both seats and all interior trim (including a map pocket). Rumor has it one practice lap was 1 min. 10 sec.
                      Using the fuel cap as a reference point, the wings are clipped by quite a bit, ~2' per side. The wing cuff is also gone. This makes stall departure more critical, but it's a racer. There are no "wing tips" in these pictures, there appear to be temporary end caps for test flying. The aircraft has the canopy frame faired in like we saw on Dave Anders' Venture in 2000. The prop appears to be a late model Hartzell.

The Venture is a smaller, lighter, cleaner, and faster aircraft than the Legacy. It is only their gear difficulties that kept knocking them out. One of the design's greatest strengths was the high aspect ratio wing. This is compromised by the wing clip. However, this is less critical on the wider Unlimited course than on the Sport course. Dacy is also one of the most determined people I've met. Few would suffer as many difficulties and still come back so hard.

70 seconds on the Unlimited course is ~425 mph.

IOW... Holy speed demon!

After all the work he's put in, I would like to see him win, but win with the least power required. Blowing up while leading by a lap would never be as sweet as winning every single heat reliably.
                      Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

One of the Sport guys said clip was 16" (per side).

Eric, what are your impressions of the structure of the Venture. Just using my crew sense, I would like to see a beefer attachment of the tail, (horizontal), considering the size of the surface.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                          I re-read it after I posted and thought about changing it.
                          I knew there would be a smarta88 in the group to point that out!

You did not disappoint!

lol, would you rather me be a smartass or a dumbass? hehehe
                          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Foam

70 seconds on the Unlimited course is ~425 mph.

IOW... Holy speed demon!
                            That was on the sport course. I know of several that were timing him. He was somewhere above the 300 mark.

Also, he has lowered the canopy.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
                              Also, he has lowered the canopy.

Michael
                              Yeah, it flys much faster when it's closed!

Comment

Working...
                              X