Signs of the Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signs of the Times

Has anyone received their invitation from RARA yet? ( I enhanced the signs to make them more readable).

Tihs raises a few questions from me, foremost being:

How can access to a publicly funded facility (The airport, operated by some type of County taxpayer revenue) be controlled by a private corporation?

Guess I'll have to call the Airport Authority tomorrow morning and get clarification.

Mike Arnold
    Attached Files

Re: Signs of the Times

Originally posted by fenceliner01
    How can access to a publicly funded facility (The airport, operated by some type of County taxpayer revenue) be controlled by a private corporation?

Mike Arnold
    That is the $64,000 question. On the other hand there are PLEANTY of areas at Reno Internatonal (operated by the city of Reno) that you can't get into....but yes, it isn't controlled by a private group.

it's all about safety and security. Frustrating as it may be, in this day and age...some crap we have to live with. Those signs suck.

Merlin Matt
    MATT
    Turn left, GO FAST

Comment

Thats my point, MM. The Reno Airport, (and Stead, to a lesser degree) have their own security and police forces to maintain a secure airport. Up until today, I have never had a problem getting access onto the flightline, or to areas such as Classic Aviation, or the hangars west of the Grandstands. I've always followed the rules, never ventured into areas or past deadlines I wasn't supposed to, and have never been confronted. If RARA wants to restrict access to their own property on the airport, I have no problem with that either. I agree with limited access to the flightline when aircraft engines are running. For safety's sake, I understand why they close off Lemmon Valley Road across the middle of the unlimited course. In short, I see the need to maintain crowd control based on common-sense safety and insurance issues.

However, for RARA to assume that my presence on the airport grounds is solely at their discretion smacks of arrogance on their part, because they assume rights and responsibilities that I do not believe they possess. I also question the Airport Authority's acceptance of these signs which abrogate their responsibility to maintain a safe and secure environment. The problem with acts like these is that if you don't wave the B.S. flag at them, they eventually become accepted practices that continue ad infinitum because "thats the way its always been done".

Wayne, if this topic is not appropriate for this forum, or you think I'm getting too wound up about this issue, let me know and I'll fade into the Sunset. If not, I post another message tomorrow after I find an Airport authority spokesman that can tell me whats going on.

Mike A.

Comment

Respect my Athori-ty!!!!
        Attached Files
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I posted earlier in another thread what Mike Hougton told me about public access during the PRS. You can get in. I did not see locked gates, drove right in down by the tower.

The gates are always locked in the evening until business hours in the AM..

Not sure about the signs but they may just be there to "discourage" the less determined.

As far as a private party controlling any part of a public facility. What's different about Stead than any other airport?

There are MANY areas where the public is not allowed in any given airport.. During all RARA sponsored events, they lease the ramp and the airport from the the airport authority.. at least that's my understanding.

No different than any other airshow is it?

Enjoy the great weather and the airplanes!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

A little tweak

Doesn't have to be a bad thing I guess.
            If they added a little tweak.
            "Guests Check in at Race HQ"
            Where they could give the hard core fans and photogs a schedule and rule sheet.

Just my $0.02

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Wayne. If they lease the airport, they do in a sense "own" it, and that makes sense to me. I'll be out this weekend - look for the tall guy with the pot-belly and Canon EOS 20.

Mike

Comment

I too shall venture fourth on Saterday morning say around 10. Either a red Dodge Stratus, or a slime green scooter bike with a trunk and saddle-bags.

See ya there!!!

Lonnie

Comment

Working...
                X