R-4360 Graham White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-4360 Graham White

Yesterday I got my copy of Graham White's new book "R-4360". It is awesome! I highly recommend it. It is filled with schematics and photos of not only the 4360, but the aircraft it powered with emphasis on the various installations. It also touched on other "big engines". Included is a small air racing section on F2Gs, Dread, and Furias.

One thing I never thought of was that there are only 5 planes airworthy powered by the 4360, and only 2 are currently flown:

Deadnaught
    F2G Race 57
    Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation's KC-97 (Undergoing initial airworthiness inspection and crew training, last flown 2002)
    Furias (For sale and in pieces, last flown 2003 I think)
    Hawkins & Powers KC-97 (fire bomber that has been for sale for about a year and has not flown. Not sure what its status is)

If you are a gearhead you should pick up a copy and also his R-2800 book. Both are over 600 pages long packed with info on conception, development, and use of these great engines.

You can get them a amazon and I'm sure some other placed too.

Wayne: AAFO is a reference several times in the book (HK-1 and air racing info).

PS: I don't know Graham White, I just think the book is awesome!
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Re: R-4360 Graham White

GEEK!!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
      GEEK!!
      Also guilty as charged.

I've been reading the R-2800 book and got Graham White's previous book "Allied Piston Engines of WWII" when it came out years ago.

I can't say I understand everything in those books (metallurgy and motorhead stuff), but they sure are cool.

I'm trying to resist the urge for the R-4360 book. I may wait until I've finished the R-2800 book first.

Rob

Comment

I have the first two.
        My Father's day request is in for this one......
        More pistons is always better!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Jones
          I have the first two.
          My Father's day request is in for this one......
          More pistons is always better!
          As the saying goes: "There's no replacement for displacement!!!"

Comment

I was more impressed with the quality of the R-2800 book over the Allied A/C Engines WWII. The R-4360 just blew me away. If you have the two previous books, the new one has continued the quality trend.

I also just got Vees For Victory (Allison 1710) and the Tornado book (Wright's 42 cylinder R-2160 stillborn).

Do you guys know of a good Merlin or Griffon book on par with the R-2800 book? How about 3350?
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...lance&n=283155

Wayne: AAFO is a reference several times in the book (HK-1 and air racing info).

PS: I don't know Graham White, I just think the book is awesome!
              Dunno how I miss some of these posts.. this one's from a long time ago but cool! We've been around long enough to become a reference source...

lessee... is there a "beaming with pride" smileie anywhere ??

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Does anyone know of any books available specifically about the massive 36-cyl Lycoming R-7755 (or XR-7755), the largest aircraft radial ever built?

The most information I have seen about it mentioned in one place is Wikipedia...

Supposedly there is a book titled "Power from the Past: The Largest Aircraft Piston Engine" by George Genevro, but I can't seem to find it on any book-selling websites like Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                  I knew she was for sale, but not that she had been dis-assembled.

Damn...
                  I believe she was disassembled so they could put a jump seat in the back.
                  Jason Schillereff

Comment

Originally posted by Jason S.
                    I believe she was disassembled so they could put a jump seat in the back.
                    That is correct. Its whole tail section is off for work, not storage. It was listed on Courtesy Aircraft but I no longer see it there.

The XR-7755 is listed in White's "Allied Aircraft Piston Engines of World War II" with about a page of text, much like Wiki. I have never heard of the book by Genevero but, as the research gods are shining on me, I happen to have his email address so I will ask. Stay tuned...
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Working...
                    X