• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerochia NXT

Interesting...

Highly modified single seat NXT...

and

Re: Aerochia NXT......IO-12???

And..What the heck is a liquid cooled IO-12.
    Injected
    Opposed
    12 cylinder
    ?????

Scotty B.

Comment

Re: Aerochia NXT

Google does not even know the answer...

Comment

Dunno about the engine but the website is certainly an attractive design!

Wondering if the NXT so modified will still fall under the Sport Division regs???

"One off" is in their description but it'd still be based on a kit.. ey??

It wouldn't fit into the current weight regs for the Unlimited so, if it fit in neither, might wind up between a rock and a hard place..

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

After Chino I think mabe I can head down that way...
          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
            After Chino I think mabe I can head down that way...
            Good on ya Vic... I'm gonna repeat something I was told that I'm not sure I was supposed to keep under my belt but.. If what I'm told was true (source was very good) this airplane was *originally* slated to be an unlimited competitor.... before the weight regs were implimented.

As of now, I'm not sure what they plan with it. If the engine in question is over the cu limit for Sport.. where can they race it?

All the more reason to have an "Unlimited" sport slot.. Parker gets gas, some other airplanes get exotic engines... Keep the kit regs as far as amount of kits delivered if they feel they need this but make it a "Hot Rod" version... anything goes other than the airplane has to be based on a kit as currently ruled... in-other-words... BIG ENGINES, Nitros, clipped canopy Thunder Mustang's (this is something I drool over eventually getting to see!)

Exciting sport ey!

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I heard it is having an IO-720 installed....to make up for a tail heavy condition.

Comment

Isn't one of the Sport class rules that the aircraft be a minimum of a two seater? I know Greenamyer's ride has the igloo etc mounted where the passenger would go, but it is still technically a two seater.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                  Isn't one of the Sport class rules that the aircraft be a minimum of a two seater? I know Greenamyer's ride has the igloo etc mounted where the passenger would go, but it is still technically a two seater.
                  And what makes it a two seater? Would a 6in wide seat count as a second seat?

Jarrod

Comment

Re: Aerochia NXT......IO-12???

Originally posted by MustangScott
                    And..What the heck is a liquid cooled IO-12.
                    Injected
                    Opposed
                    12 cylinder
                    ?????

Scotty B.
                    I'll take a wild swing and say it's part of the TSIOL-550-A series of engines from TCM. 350 hp stock so it might be a good engine to hot rod.

Comment

Good case in point Jarrod about the 6" wide seat.
                      The heavy metal won't be around forever & some of the rules will have to be changed. Blue Thunder & NXT are right up there with the best,aviation & air racing have progressed due to the designers of the 30's.
                      Lockheed Bob
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Parker only has one seat

Comment

1 Seat within Rules

One seat is within Sport Class Rules.

Two seat Kits probably have more market appeal for flying the other 11.5 months/year.

Comment

Think about it. An IO-720 is one of the largest GA engines available. It has 8 cylinders and produces about 400 hp. You put in cylinder liners to reduce the bore and drop the engine displacement to about 640 C.I., port/polish cylinder heads, add twin turbos with ADI. I think the engine would produce 500 (+) HP all day long, and you put it the slickest airframe in the Sport Class. Can you say FAST!

Keith Doyne

Comment

Here are my two questions

#1 If its a liquid cooled 12 cylinder one would assume a V arrangment, it makes sense because a V arrangement would reduce the width of the airframe similar to the reduced width of one seat vs two. However, with the blisters in the cowl for the horizontally opposed lyc 540 that are carried onto the fuselage and are visible in the picture of chia's plane, what will go in that space, if its a v-12 is there enough depth to put the rocker covers in the blisters without hanging the crank case out the bottom of the cowl.

#2 Where to mount the radiator, if the motor is to be mounted so low in the cowl to place the rocker covers in the blister then there will perhaps be enough space on top of the motor for the radiator, but jon already proved that the negative pressure up there will not facilitate induction on top of the cowl. There is the Beguine option of hanging the radiators on the wing tips. Or the option being explored by Algie composites with the radiator similar in location to that of a mustang but not hanging out of the fuselage. Simply two naca inlets on the bottom of the fuse, one for induction and one for exhaust. While this plane hasnt flown yet it is definately a sexy way to solve the radiator location problem that wouldnt change the gorgeous profile of the NXT

Comment

Working...
                              X