Guy buys a mig and cant have it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy buys a mig and cant have it?

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese businessman who bought a Russian fighter jet online wants his money back after finding it could not be shipped to China, state media reported on Tuesday.

Zhang Cheng, a Beijing businessman, bid $24,730 and paid a $2,000 deposit for the former Czech air force plane on Chinese-based eBay, Xinhua news agency said.

But legal experts informed Zhang that the MiG-21, located in Idaho in the United States, was "almost impossible to ship back," Xinhua said, quoting the Beijing Times.

Moreover, the seller had clearly confined the destination of the plane to the United States and Canada, Xinhua quoted a member of eBay's public relations staff as saying.

Chinese Web surfers have accused Zhang of trying to gain fame, but others suggest it merely shows the improved living standards of the Chinese, Xinhua said.

The buyer, however, said he was building a collection.

"I like to collect valuable items," he said. "I have the buying power and my company has an empty space where I can display the plane."
    Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

Re: Guy buys a mig and cant have it?

What a nimrod. I can't even import a car to my residence in China, and this guy wants to ship in an airplane? PR stunt.

FYI, there is very little if any GA in China, and what I've seen has been confined to biz jets. I'm sure that Hong Kong is different, but on the mainland I have never seen anything smaller than a B737 in the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by srpatterson
      What a nimrod. I can't even import a car to my residence in China, and this guy wants to ship in an airplane? PR stunt.
      No, the nimrod is a much larger british aircraft, not a fighter.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by rwflyboy
        ...my company has an empty space where I can display the plane."
        Yeah, the sky!

Makes you appreciate the hard-fought freedoms we enjoy here in the states.
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
          No, the nimrod is a much larger british aircraft, not a fighter.
          Ooooooo, that may be the best aviation pun I've heard in years....

Comment

Originally posted by srpatterson

FYI, there is very little if any GA in China, and what I've seen has been confined to biz jets. I'm sure that Hong Kong is different, but on the mainland I have never seen anything smaller than a B737 in the sky.
            We'll have to meet up in the pits in September and talk about China if you're not too busy. I was in China almost a month, almost everyday out at the Haikou airport, and never even saw a freakin helicopter. Weird.
            Bill
            Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

I can almost feel this guys pain. I was doing some work upgrading the Polish Air Forces navigational systems a few years back. One of the locations was the Air Forces depot and after being there several days the director of the depot offered me 2 Mig-21PF complete with engines. They had been refurbished at the depot a few years prior and had been sitting. After looking at all the documentation I was seriously considering drafting up funds. After researching the import of the aircraft I found they could not be imported because of the afterburning engines. Now with my bubble busted and nothing else to do, I had to return empty handed. Oh, by the way, the asking price for both aircraft with full instruments, engines and armament would have been just under $27,000.00 US. My pot of gold stolen by the federal government. Oh well.

Dave

Comment

The only thing missing is cubic dollars

How a supersonic speed freak snuck Soviet fighters out of Kyrgyzstan and started flying "enemy" jets for the Pentagon.

Comment

Working...
                X