A little reminiscing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little reminiscing...

I think we all remember her from her glory in 1991, but here's my latest r/c model done up in close to the scale scheme. Man, wish she was still here today for the Unlimteds!

Michael
    Attached Files

another view...
    Attached Files

Comment

Tomorrow's the maiden....

Comment

Woo! Nice ride there Mr. Luvara I am actually just looking into buying a trainer RC plane so I can learn the ropes, but man, it IS expensive!

Comment

Michael,

Are there any SWRA races in North or Central California or Nevada in the 6-20 September timeframe? (excluding 11-15 of course).

I would love to see these big RCs race.

One of these days I will get around to finishing up my Bearcat (Pardue's B'Cat #14) and get serious on my Miss Ashley II that I am bashing out of Great Planes Mustang and Lear kits.

Don

Comment

Mark....

On the test flight, it's probably on the same arena as the full scale. This will be the forth Tsunami out of the molds I have to fly, so I know where the center of gravity is, etc. Mostly, it will be a checkout ride. Leave the engine a little rich because it is new, take off at somewhat reduced power (This will be a raceplane. Has a 1.20 cu/in four stroke that is internally supercharged) and fly it around to trim things out. Then I'll slow it down, drop the flaps, and see how it reacts. We can usually trim the elevator to a certain position with the flaps extended which gives level flight. If neccessary, I'll use flaps on landing. After she's home safe, we'll take the wing off, inspect the inside, linkages, look for loose screws, etc. For the next few flights, I'll take off the "test flight" prop and install the carbon fiber race prop for some speed... More or less, it's shakedown flights to make sure it is sound. I know the characteristics of the plane, so nothing should surprise me. Most of it is setup in the radio, programming, etc.

Don -

The SWRA is the mini stuff in some respects. There's a race in Sacramento this weekend (where I'm going) and one in Oct. I've taken time off from doing the giant scale (25-45% size models) USRA racing and the closest race then will be at the end of sept at Eagle Field, CA. See usrainfo.org.

BTW for size comparison, the wingspan on this model is 55". Spinner is 3.75" in diameter. Weight approx 9lbs. Model is all-composite. See http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...threadid=30684 for building chronicles. Beware, because there's 7 pages of building and notes. You can see how everything was made in the molds.

Michael

Comment

Michael,

Thanks for the link to the UNLIMITED SCALE RACING ASSOCIATION.

Looks like noraces are scheduled while I'm down there but I notice that the Reno Air Races are listed as an "Attended Event" this year.

Does that mean that some planes will be there? I am assuming static display only?

The only reason I am asking you is I have seen your race team mentioned in MAN/RCM/RCR so I figure you might be an "inside guy". If you don't know for sure, don't worry about it...I'll have 5 days at Reno to track them down.

Comment

Don,

Well, you could say I was on the inside last year. I wrote a few articles in RCM/MAN and helped with advertising/promotion in the USRA with the administration that was present. There were plans for the USRA to show at Reno for a static display last year, but who knows this year. I'm not sure if they'll pull it off this year either as I'm not racing and haven't talked with anyone. I don't think they realize(d) that they need booth space and probably have to pay for it since RARA just doesn't give it away...

Michael

Comment

The club hosting the race this weekend is: http://sacramento-rc-flyers.org and the swra which runs a similar set of races in AZ is at: http://www.swraracing.com . My club in Morgan Hill, CA is having a Reno-style warbird race on Aug 10, with different classes. www.sccmas.org (down at the moment).

Sacramento uses the SWRA's rules for wing area/engine displacement. The full SWRA rules give scale judging part of the final score. Sacramento does not use the scale judging.

Michael

Comment

Re: Where in Sacramento is the Race?

Originally posted by AAFO_DABEAR
                    is there a race schedule posted on the interbet?
                    Has that gremlin been in there switching your keys around again??? Muuaaaahhhaaahaaa!!!!

By the way, have you found your missplaced "any" key?

Wayner
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

A YS 120 on a 55" racer!! Man that thing will scoot!!!
                      the other Wayne................

Comment

Are there any races south of San Fransisco and north of San Jose? I live between the 2, and morgan hill/sacramento are a little too far away for the time constraints I have...I'd really love to see some of these planes race and maybe even join a club But for now, I better stick to realistic goals such as purchasing a trainer RC airplane, lol.

Comment

Hey Mike how much nitro do you run in that 120 and what size prop do you run(a supercool perhaps)? Your airfoil look pretty racy also.

Comment

Scott,

I think you're out of luck on the locations. Those are the only local races. The Morgan Hill field is at the outskirts of south San Jose. About 20min south of San Jose Airport and about 50 min from SFO airport.

Coolhand,
                            I'll start with 20 and where the nitro stops, I don't know.. And, well, yes, I do have a pair of supercools sitting here. Someone knows props, perhaps? The wing airfoil is laminar flow.

Michael

Comment

Well, for those that want to know, test flights went well Sat and we raced her Sunday. took 4th or 5th I believe. Motor was not on the power curve because it was overpropped, but she's home safe for more tinkering. My brother shot shome sunset stuff Sat eve. Looks pretty cool too!

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X