Team 51 Unlimited air racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team 51 Unlimited air racing

oops ,link didn't work, first time trying go to cameronaircraft.com something new is on the site
    Last edited by F-16 CREW CHIEF; 04-15-2006, 07:46 PM. Reason: oops ,link didn't work, first time trying

Re: Team 51 Unlimited air racing

Murdo was making the rounds in the pits at Reno '05 gathering information.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
      http://cameronaircraft.com/team51/team51.htm

Murdo was making the rounds in the pits at Reno '05 gathering information.
      Now we can stop cutting up original P-51's. Come on man we are all pulling for ya one this one.

Comment

Very cool project i hope we will see this aircraft at reno 2007 maby this will be the future of unlimted airacing.
        This wil kick ass if it's all go's right.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
          I posted a story a while back: http://www.hangardays.com/rutansxwing.htm
          Scroll down towards the end and read a little about the project. Also a couple more pics down there. I've got another photo at home that seems to be a race canopy like what is on Precious Metal sitting in the shop. I really think this has some major potential. The sleekness of the airframe is going to cut down majorly on drag, and the weight is going to be signifigantly less which should cut down on acceleration and make for a better climb performance, which enhances safety in an engine out pullup type of situation. We still get the looks though and still got the power and the sound! I'm hoping that we see a paint scheme something like what was on Relentless. Maybe change the colors so it isn't copying, but that's a pretty sweet paint job!
          Well, I was hoping to put this out in a more official announcement, (F-16 CREWCHIEF beat me to it, I will be putting more of the story and profiles of the people involved on the website, (since I am the official webmaster now), but what Dash is saying is true. And the main players are the same, with Murdo and Danny. The only corrections to be made at the moment are that the one aircraft that was built, is basically under the protection of the courts in Wyoming, (I believe), and not going to be returned to Murdo in the forseeable future, (a long and complicated story in itself and one I am not in a position to talk about).
          So, we are building a new Racer from the ground up. The drawings of the aircraft with the green and yellow and blue, and red and yellow, are just to give it some color and were drawn by TEAM 51 member Todd Disrud. A paint scheme hasn't been decided on yet, nor a name. As we get further along in the project, Murdo will be more actively seeking sponsorship and that will dictate the color scheme.
          If anyone is interested, Murdo is having an open house at his hangar in Coeur D' Alene June 25th. Thanks DASH for putting the link to that page up. I knew there was something I had seen. The picture of the motor on the trailer came in my email from Danny yesterday. (plus 3 others). It really is an exciting project, and the original aircraft did get some valuable proof of concept flight testing with the turbine engine. My job is to do my best to keep everyone updated as we move along as well as help with the construction.
          That's it for now.
          Bill
          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Bill, what's your 'official' capacity with the team?

What's the status of the new-build airframe?

Comment

Does anyone know why turbo-props aren't allowed in the unlimited class? I know pistons sound much sweeter but doesn't unlimited mean unlimited? Just curious

Comment

The website says it weighs 4500lbs empty. WOW, right at the minimum!

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by CMW
                  Does anyone know why turbo-props aren't allowed in the unlimited class? I know pistons sound much sweeter but doesn't unlimited mean unlimited? Just curious

"Unlimited" air racing doesn't mean anything goes, else we would have jet-propelled unlimiteds years ago (maybe even armed ones? ). It just means there are far less limitations in comparison to the other air racing classes.

You have an unlimited choice of aircraft AS LONG AS the aircraft falls within certain limits (prop-driven, piston engine(s), and now minimum weight I suppose). Some other rules apply, but those are the main guidelines.

I have predicted in the past that turboprops are in Reno's future if it survives long enough, but that may not be until the big V-12s and round motors become too scarce and/or expensive for even the wealthest or best-sponsored teams.

Since I love the sound of a screaming merlin more than just about anything, I hope that prediction doesn't come true during my lifetime, or at the very least is started as a separate unlimited turbine class.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                    Bill, what's your 'official' capacity with the team?

What's the status of the new-build airframe?
                    Well Randy,
                    My official capacity is at this point #1-webmaster to update the racing AND commercial website as per Murdo and Danny Mortenson's wishes. #2-keep viewers up to date and communicate with other webmasters as required. #3 help recruit volunteers #4-research web for parts, (right now we are looking for sources for landing gear parts, servicable or rebuildable aerostar MLG components). #5 Help build the aircraft, wiring and hydraulics will be areas I will be especially involved in as well as the flight instrumentation. And since I am one of the 4 people who are living in the immediate area, I am sure to be doing whatever I can, and will have a pretty good pulse on the project.
                    Right now, the tail group is being assembled. At least one Allison is being built in Seattle by Peter Orton, and Danny is working on getting the rest. I should have more info regarding the wing and fuselage soon that will give you an idea of when they will be going together. Hope that is enough information for now Randy. I'll let you know when we need a test pilot Of course Brad may be interested too.

Comment

>volunteer<
                      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Wouldnt it be cool if they made a P-82 and team Sani-Hut could be a reality!

Comment

Bill-
                          In the mid-80's there was a full scale carbon P-51 fuselage, tucked in the corner of a museum in Sparks.
                          Was that the original from this project, or was that some one else's dream?

Paul

Comment

As The Prop Turns - Dodging Rocks...

I'm sure I'll catch at least a little flak for saying this but....

I think our best chance of EVER seeing a year with more than maybe two, perhaps three Unlimited races (a series, so-to-speak) would be to have an airplane such as this with TURBINE power....

Or, allow "QEC" "kit" re-engining of existing racers.

Think of it, kick the tires and light the fire and go racing. At the end of the day, the engine is still healthy, you fly her home and get ready for the next one..

Pipe Dream?? Probably..

I LOVE the smell of high octane and the sound of the big piston power as much as anyone.... but I truly enjoy CLOSE competition even more.

Consistent CLOSE racing, excitement building from race to race... a year where I'm busy covering ONLY Air Racing... wow.. what a dream, in a pipe or wherever..

Just how much of the sound we hear when a racer goes by at full tilt is highly stressed prop and how much is highly stressed engine?

How different would a turbine powered prop beating the hell out of the sky sound?

Just a thought...

THIS is an exciting project, whatever turns the prop though!

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                              Bill-
                              In the mid-80's there was a full scale carbon P-51 fuselage, tucked in the corner of a museum in Sparks.
                              Was that the original from this project, or was that some one else's dream?

Paul
                              I think I would have to defer that question to one of the "on-board" Geeks, Paul. I never saw it or heard of it before now. But, I know a couple of the "GEEKS" here and they are known for snooping around, and have been doing so for quite some time, HAH!
                              ME Mr Wiiiiizard!

Comment

Working...
                              X