2007 Gathering of Mustangs & Legends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Gathering of Mustangs & Legends

Well...Stead's loss is Rickenbacker's gain. For those who are interested the Final Roundup will be 9/27-30, 2007 at Rickenbacker in Columbus, Ohio. Here's a link to their press release: Mustang Gathering

Let's see...100 or more Mustangs together with the men who flew them in battle plus a 51-ship formation flight....I'M THERE!!

Re: 2007 Gathering of Mustangs & Legends

Wowsers! Anyone familiar with that field. Any recommendations on where to stay, good "fenceline" viewing positions, etc. That's way to many mustangs to pass up.
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

If I had to come up with one complaint it would be, "Why so close to when the Reno Air Races are normally held?" Hope I can manage to get the time off work to enjoy both
      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
      My Photos
      My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
        If I had to come up with one complaint it would be, "Why so close to when the Reno Air Races are normally held?" Hope I can manage to get the time off work to enjoy both
        That has been a point brought up on more than a few boards, plus the fact that many of the P-51's are on the west coast. That is a long way to fly. I hope it comes off as planned, since I can drive, instead of fly to the location.

Comment

Dang, right in my back yard!
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

To all interested in the upcoming Gathering of Mustangs & Legends. It is good to see that this event has such support and interest.

Angela West, event director here. Look forward to seeing all that will attend at the event next year. There has been questions why did we chose dates so close to RENO? It just so happened that the dates that we chose were the best for the location at Rickenbacker as well as weather played a part in decision making on dates as well. These Mustangs are going to love the cooler temps in the 70's!

On another note: Our website will be SOON launched and the address is: www.GML2007.com

If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me - it is shaping up to be an incredible event and hope to see you there!
            Sincerely,
            Angela

Comment

From those of us who can't make the trip, here's hoping for MAJOR DVD documentation with high-quality sound and video! Puh-leeeez

Comment

I will be headed to OH next Sept ... Having several friends in OH definately helps !

RJ
                " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

My question is - Why was it changed from Reno to CO. to OH in the first place? I would have thought Stead to be a natural spot, given the connection to racing, accomodations, visitor friendly area, etc. What happened?
                  Last edited by fenceliner01; 09-30-2006, 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
                    My question is - Why was it changed from Reno to CO. to OH in the first place? I would have thought Stead to be a natural spot, given the connection to racing, accomodations, visitor friendly area, etc. What happened?
                    It was never changed to CO. Colorado was one of the locations being considered after RNO fell out.

Comment

A friend who has attended event's at Rickenbacker in the past told me they do a very good job with putting on event's there ... Is good to see it in a central location ...

RJ
                      " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

Randy - Conflict with RARA or the AAWC? When has that ever happened?

I understand your reluctance to put words in other peoples mouths. I wish someone from Stallion 51 would come on-line and give us the real story.

I thought it might have conflicted with the Murderers row of events we have in Reno in late summer/fall

1 Hot August Nights (or "Don't touch my Car, A$$hole", "Hot August Fights", etc. Who was the genius who scheduled a rap concert right across the street from a show-and-shine one year?)

2. Reno-Tahoe Open - PGA Golf tourney at exclusive course in SW Reno. Can't draw the big names because it conflicts with the Firestone Tourney in Akron Ohio. The Pros do love to come to Reno to gamble however. Does makes Montreaux members feel like they are the center of the golf universe for one week.

2. Nugget Rib Cookoff - Drunken hooking-up at Victorian Square amid the aroma of burning pork and barbeque sauce.

3. Balloon Races - (God! Nothing can conflict with the Champagne and Starbucks crowd!) Apparently, you have to dress like an L.L Bean catalog model to attend this event - You get extra credit if Sunset Magazine does an article on your tailgate brunch menu. I always hope for cold fronts moving through the area that weekend.

4. Street Vibrations - Another event where loud vehicles descend upon Reno - 4th street comes alive as every biker bar does their yearly bartop sludge removal! Sorry, but unmuffled Harleys are just way too obnoxious for me.

If anyone from out of town wonders why Reno is not as enthusiastic about the Races as we used to be, I think it's partially because we're burned out by the time they roll around.

P.S. Look me up the next time you're here for the races. Maybe we can re-locate you and Air Race Addict if the north fencline shuts down. Must lose the tiki torches and bring the euro babes, however.

Mike A.

Comment

I find it very frustrating that it is so close to the Reno Races. For a lot of us here it is hard enough to take off ten days of work and I know some people that use there vacation time primarly to go to Reno. It's almost like your punishing "us" the racing fans beacuse the event is no longer going to be at Stead. I would like to go to both but at this point in time I'm not sure how I'm going to pull it off! How many people will go to one or the other but not be able to get to both? I don't want to miss the event but I will not miss Reno for it. PLEASE change the date...
                          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I know what you mean. At least I can drive to Ohio.

By the the way Victor, your next post is #1000.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                              I find it very frustrating that it is so close to the Reno Races. For a lot of us here it is hard enough to take off ten days of work and I know some people that use there vacation time primarly to go to Reno. It's almost like your punishing "us" the racing fans beacuse the event is no longer going to be at Stead. I would like to go to both but at this point in time I'm not sure how I'm going to pull it off! How many people will go to one or the other but not be able to get to both? I don't want to miss the event but I will not miss Reno for it. PLEASE change the date...
                              Victor-

I don't work for Stallion 51 and can't speak for them but they spent a lot of time working with Mustang owners trying to survey what time period and location worked for them. Although I was not privy to any of the discussions, I am betting that September was chosen because the airshow season has pretty much reached an end so it won't conflict with owner's plans for airshow attendance etc.

I do understand your frustration at having two big events in the same month, but personally, if I have to make a decision between the two events, it will be to go to the Gathering. I don't want to miss what I believe will be the last event of its magnitude for Mustangs (and I am a Thunderbolt fan )

Comment

Working...
                              X