Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dago sale - The Good, the bad, and the ugly

Hopefully Good

1. A guy with a recent racing connection (SNJ #55 at Reno 2005) has maybe bought her, and thankfully not somebody that wants another blue nose dual control stocker.

2. The Mustang contingent at Reno 2006 could be hands down the best in a long long time with Strega, The Galloping Ghost, Precious Metal, and the return of Dago, among others.

3. Possible new paint scheme (at least loose the flames please) and maybe a new name, number, and new mods. Some traditionalists may dislike that, but one of the things I’ve liked most (over my 40 years of following Reno) about N777L, N79111, N7715C, N5943, and others has been the changed names, paint, and flavors over the years. The same old, same old gets boring to me. Actually the Bear has been a bit overdue for something new or retro.

4. Return of the trailer shade by the rope?

Possibly Bad

1. Does this mean no chance of a V-12 assault on the 3km record? Maybe Jimmy Leeward could still do that for us.

2. Can I only wear my old Dago shirts now when changing the oil or mowing the lawn at home?

3. Will Tom Cruise now be forced to buy just a Wildcat or Yak 3?

Probably Ugly

1. The huge learning curve and long road to success that could await a rookie crew and all new unlimited class pilot. Or did Skip, Kerch, and company come with the deal?

2. The frustration felt by a certain jinxed crew or two if a rookie pilot and team do put Dago in the winner’s circle first time out.

Re: Dago sale - The Good, the bad, and the ugly

Originally posted by Lowell
    [U] Actually the Bear has been a bit overdue for something new or retro.

Bring on the purple!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Bring on the purple!!!!!!!!!
      Amen!..

I want to see a dark purple stripe going down the Bears sides, and rounding the cowling. Like way back when.

It needs to be the dark purple though.. that light purple just looked old and out of place.

Comment

Hopefully Good
        2. The Mustang contingent at Reno 2006 could be hands down the best in a long long time with Strega, The Galloping Ghost, Precious Metal, and the return of Dago, among others.
        And IF Bob Button would put the race canopy back on Voodoo!!!
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I'm with you Peas,along with the spiked spinner!! She looked wicked!!

Anthony
          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Actually the Bear has been a bit overdue for something new or retro.
            The biggest thing the Bear needs in the way of a paint job is to strip off the now 5 (yes! FIVE!!!) paint and bondo jobs buried under the current layer of oil. There may be as much as 1000+ lb of useless weight on that bird and that translates to several mph and a LOT of turn speed.

For those who doubt how much paint weighs, ask FNG about the trash cans of bondo thrown out during the leading edge mod.

This issue is not Bear specific. Several of the Unlimiteds have ridiculous amounts of bondo on them. Hey, as an aerodynamicist I'm all for smooth surfaces; but not at the expense of a 10 to 15% weight increase. Paint needs to be less than 1% of gross takeoff weight. More than that should be put into structure, power, fuel, spray water, or ADI. Paint for the sake of show without speed is for losers.

(yes, I am trying to provoke some people.)
            Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Foam
              Several of the Unlimiteds have ridiculous amounts of bondo on them. Hey, as an aerodynamicist I'm all for smooth surfaces; but not at the expense of a 10 to 15% weight increase.
              Ahh, but there are much better aerodynamic filler compounds on the market that are feather weight.

Go cheap on your bondo and you pay for it later!

Comment

Ya know Guys,

As longas Button is Racing her? I don't think we'll see a return of the racing canopy lol. I saw Voodoo ((for the first time)) last year at Tunica, and I kept looking at it and going "Okay whats different?" it didn't dawn on me till later that they'd replaced it with a stocker. But for good reason! I'm 5'9 at least and Button was towering over me lol, I doubt he'd ever fit in a racing one. :P

And Did Voodoo Run with a spike spinner? I don't think I've ever seen that, hm.. maybe I should rummage around the net for pictures!

At least Dago Red will be racing in some form hopefully.

Edit; Nevermind, I just saw a picture of Voodoo with the spinner, very nice indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Foam
                  (yes, I am trying to provoke some people.)
                  Noooooooo waaaaaaaaay you?

Comment

Hopefully Good

1. A guy with a recent racing connection (SNJ #55 at Reno 2005) has maybe bought her, and thankfully not somebody that wants another blue nose dual control stocker.
                    This has played out like "As the prop turns" Seems to be a lot of speculation that TC then GM made a purchase, just curious has anyone actually contacted Gary and asked him directly? Whats up.

The smart money is on Oprah

Warren

Comment

Warren,

I don't see any speculation... just a whole lot of wishin....

Hangar racin' that's what we's here for ain't it???

When stuff is actually "known" it usually sparks us off our butts and we write a story for the front section..

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

Hangar racin' that's what we's here for ain't it???

When stuff is actually "known" it usually sparks us off our butts and we write a story for the front section..

The boss has spoken. Some see it fit to police your board for you. I guess we can't talk about death, dreams, OR poke fun at ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                          And IF Bob Button would put the race canopy back on Voodoo!!!

all they need is a full-on sparrow built race motor and they should be able to run in the high 470s or 480s.Vodoo is a very slick airframe even with the stock canopy.

I wonder who is building Vodoo's motor for this year?

Comment

If the PC thing was directed toward me, that not what reply was intending. Also, I was not trying to single anyone out that posted.
                            It just seemed like everyone was speculating from the DR side of things, and nobody either new Gary or has asked him. Since, I live in Denver, work at KAPA, and know Gary. I just felt that if someone asked Gary he would give a direct response, so I guess I'll leave it a that. Guess I'll ask him directly this weekend.

I'm still trying to figure out how to project humor and sarcasim electronically. Looks like I have a ways to go, back to lurking.

Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Warren_C
                              If the PC thing was directed toward me, that not what reply was intending. Also, I was not trying to single anyone out that posted.
                              It just seemed like everyone was speculating from the DR side of things, and nobody either new Gary or has asked him. Since, I live in Denver, work at KAPA, and know Gary. I just felt that if someone asked Gary he would give a direct response, so I guess I'll leave it a that. Guess I'll ask him directly this weekend.

I'm still trying to figure out how to project humor and sarcasim electronically. Looks like I have a ways to go, back to lurking.

Warren
                              Nope another post. As for posting emotion on a board. That's what theses little dudes are for. Not perfect but they seem to help. So are we with that?

Comment

Working...
                              X