FiFi blew an engine ???anybody know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FiFi blew an engine ???anybody know

Hello all I was at the forthsmith air show on the 26 & 27 of march to see FIFI the B29 and was distressed to learn that she blew a engine and mite be out for the season Does any one know for sure?? the older guy standing in front of the B17 thunderbird was not real sure what thay were going to do,something about the R3350s being old style and the FAA would require a mountain of paperwork let them put a newer style R3350 something about supercharger placement is differant?Wouldn't it be cool if thay made a B50 out of it with R4360s, yeha I know just dreamming out loud.

Re: FiFi blew an engine ???anybody know

Originally posted by h34race
    Hello all I was at the forthsmith air show on the 26 & 27 of march to see FIFI the B29 and was distressed to learn that she blew a engine and mite be out for the season Does any one know for sure?? the older guy standing in front of the B17 thunderbird was not real sure what thay were going to do,something about the R3350s being old style and the FAA would require a mountain of paperwork let them put a newer style R3350 something about supercharger placement is differant?Wouldn't it be cool if thay made a B50 out of it with R4360s, yeha I know just dreamming out loud.
    And the two jet engines under the wings

Jarrod

Comment

NO not the XB49 six turnen and two burnen unless I have the wrong plane, B50 superfortress that thay made the B29 into it didn't have jets RITE???

Comment

Six turnin' and four burnin' was the B-36. XB-35(?) was the wing with pistons and YB-49 was the wing with all jets. B-50 was the B-29 with the 4360s. Don't recall the wing having props and jets, but maybe they built one for testing. Now everybody sing, "I'm my own grampa..."
        No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
        http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

KB-50 -- four turnin', two burnin': http://www.airwar.ru/enc_e/craft/kb50.html
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I got this straight from the head guy over FiFi's crew. The engine let go during a taxi test in preperation for what should have been her first flight since being grounded with corosion problems. They have a spare motor that was being overhauled by Precission, and it is almost done. One other engine is also damaged, but it is a nose case issue, and should be fixed by now. The should fly within a month if all goes as planned, and should only miss the first two or three scheduled stops. Now, if she blows another engine up anytime soon it could mean trouble. They have no more back ups of the correct type. Hopefully the blown motor is fixable, and can go back in rotation.

Comment

One other interesting update as well....they are selling rides this year. $1500.00 for a front seat, $1200.00 in the back. Minimum 8 passengers before she goes up. This is due to the fact they estimate it cost aprox $8500.00 an hour to fly and maintain her.

Comment

FiFI rides? Woohoo, I'll buy a seat! I wonder if they're coming to Santa Ynez.

Hey Peashooter, thanks for pointing out the KB-50. Never saw that one before. You'd think they would use up all the gas just pushing that thing into the sky.
                No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini
                  FiFI rides? Woohoo, I'll buy a seat! I wonder if they're coming to Santa Ynez.

Hey Peashooter, thanks for pointing out the KB-50. Never saw that one before. You'd think they would use up all the gas just pushing that thing into the sky.
                  Those were the days! It's amazing hearing stories from our friend Ltc. Harry Roe, Jr., USAF (Ret) about launching fully-loaded F-84s on hot summer days: hot, heavy, and underpowered is no way to go through life son!

He also said that KC-97s had to firewall the throttles when tanking up F-100s so the little friends could stay above their loaded stall speed. WO!
                  Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                  World Speed Record Holder

Comment

There is a kc-97 at fox field north of lancaster california

Comment

FIFI is unfortunately grounded again. Three engines are making metal.

Comment

Sounds like they've been getting hit with a little hard luck lately. I hope all turns around for them in the future.
                        And for those that read the posts from Warbird Resource Group... FiFi rounding the pylons at Reno That would be a site to see.
                        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                        My Photos
                        My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                          Sounds like they've been getting hit with a little hard luck lately. I hope all turns around for them in the future.
                          And for those that read the posts from Warbird Resource Group... FiFi rounding the pylons at Reno That would be a site to see.
                          FiFi has rounded the pylons at least once. There is a huge poster hanging in my office of FiFi on the deck passing home pylon.

Comment

On another thread somewhere, there is the story of Fifi and Diamond Lil battling it out around the pylons.

From Kevin L:

I talked the pilot of the B-29 involved in that "race" in '97. He said they were making a good formation pass when the B-24 tried to sneak past them coming off the final turn.

He noticed the throttles inching forward past the set power limits. He looked back at the flight engineer (who had pushed the power up), and the FE just pointed out the window at Diamond Lil and said "No @#%&ing way".

I can't recall the pilots name. I know he is a retired airline captain, and that he lives in Ozark, AR.

and here is the thread:
                            All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
                            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
                            X