Will the cars fly ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the cars fly ?

Robin Haynes Skyblazer and Moeller Aerocar seem to be in the lead.

www.haynes-aero.com

I prefer Haynes Skyblazer.
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Re: Will the cars fly ?

The Moller will fly but they will NEVER find a way to put enough fuel in it. My father worked for Supertrapp when Moller owned them. On test flights they had to pump fuel in from an external tank. With all the engines and electronics they had no room for ANY fuel. Too many engineers not enough common sense.

Comment

Interesting.

I think the lifting body ideals aren't implied well enuf on these vehicles.

Comment

Here may be the answer..more like it !

Comment

I've never had any confidence in the Moeller concept. Aside from fuel requirements (and everyone knows that VTOLS supported by engine propulsion burn fuel at high rates), I can't see people EVER being allowed to park one in his driveway and commute to work in it someday as promised. Can you imagine the dust it would kick up, and the NOISE your neighbors would have to deal with? (and the forthcoming complaints & lawsuits).

Plus there's the fact that when he was first displaying concept pictures of what it would look like, he promised that it would sell for slightly more than a nice American car ($40,000-60,000). Now I think he's quoting half-million-dollar price tags or more.

And as far as the old "flying car" concept goes, until someone invents anti-gravity, I don't see anyone coming up with a practical vehicle. Any vehicle crash-worthy enough to be used on the roads today is going to be too heavy to fly, or will have aircraft parts you have to remove and store somewhere, and/or be too expensive to be practical for anyone but the filthy rich.

The technology problems can be overcome, but I don't believe the practicability problems can be.

Comment

I'm still waiting for an affordable Jet Pack!!

Race 29
            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
              Can you imagine the dust it would kick up, and the NOISE your neighbors would have to deal with? (and the forthcoming complaints & lawsuits).

Any vehicle crash-worthy enough to be used on the roads today is going to be too heavy to fly, or will have aircraft parts you have to remove and store somewhere, and/or be too expensive to be practical for anyone but the filthy rich.
              Isn't this what they said about cars in the early days...man cannot breathe in speeds eccess of 30 mph etc. ?

Let me be little sarcastic.

Recently I read about a sports car that delivered 500 hp and weighed 500 kilos..put those specs into an aeroplane and you have a Rare Bear equivalent speedster.

Certainly it will not be everymans vehicle...so what..neither are the aeroplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke

Certainly it will not be everymans vehicle...so what..neither are the aeroplanes.

Yes, but that is exactly the point I was making. Moeller was promising back then that just about anyone who owned a car would be able to purchase and fly one, not just some wealthy eccentric living out in the boonies where the nearest neighbor is a good country mile away.

I guess his dream has evolved to one where the owner of a Moeller Aerocar would be someone who also might be able to afford & own a helicopter and fly it from their rural property, rather than the general population in a metropolitan enviroment commuting to work via the "highway in the sky". The latter has always been the dream of those trying to invent a "flying car".

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                  Yes, but that is exactly the point I was making. Moeller was promising back then that just about anyone who owned a car would be able to purchase and fly one, not just some wealthy eccentric living out in the boonies where the nearest neighbor is a good country mile away.

I guess his dream has evolved to one where the owner of a Moeller Aerocar would be someone who also might be able to afford & own a helicopter and fly it from their rural property, rather than the general population in a metropolitan enviroment commuting to work via the "highway in the sky". The latter has always been the dream of those trying to invent a "flying car".
                  I think a flying car costs more than a car..for sure. But will it cost more than an aeroplane and car together..maybe not.

Option would be first get a car and buy the pack that makes it fly later.

I know this sounds little ridiculous.

In the fifties cars that had the flying parts lacked both a good looking car and aeroplane..the design goal would have to be that both are appealing. There is no other way ever to make it a success commercially.

Also it would have to benefit as a car of the aerodynamical refinements that are already in it.

Any ideas ?

Comment

Gene Rodenberry had it right -- transporters!
                    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Dudes,

During celebrations and all...you gotta see this; http://www.metacafe.com/watch/916620...r_race_action/

Juke

Comment

Well it seems you just answered your own question Juke!!!

lol

Wolfee

Comment

With all of the drivers around that are too distracted by their cell phones, makeup, etc. to stay in a lane, I would imagine that adding a third dimension could be disastrous!
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

ok, this is an interesting topic.....how about this.......and BTW, I am thinking of giving these guys a deposit to get in line and buy one of these.... http://www.aptera.com/
                            This company is not building flyable cars.....but check out the design, it is a legitimate car....to be available in 2009. Why not start with something like this, and put wings and a propeller on it? The Aptera will have a hybrid electric/gas engine, and is very effiecient (ie good range)...with some gearing, it seems and prop could be placed in back maybe? wings on top that fold up on landing?
                            a wing with a stall speed of somewhere around 40 knots would allow it to land in very small spaces.....
                            just my two cents

Race 8

Comment

Originally posted by Race8
                              Why not start with something like this, and put wings and a propeller on it? The Aptera will have a hybrid electric/gas engine, and is very effiecient (ie good range)...with some gearing, it seems and prop could be placed in back maybe? wings on top that fold up on landing?
                              a wing with a stall speed of somewhere around 40 knots would allow it to land in very small spaces.....
                              just my two cents

Race 8
                              I hear you !

I have been working on this kinda small flyer design already almost a year by now...a 3 seater version of my Tweedy-Bird lifting body AC..is almost a spitting image of that Aptera..and I don't remember ever seeing that car before.

Three seater Tweedy-Bird is called the Early-Bird...the problem is that how much can you count for the lift on that lifting body...if I count it all I will have 65,0 kg/m2, but if I only count the wing loading like generally in aeroplanes I will have even 128.5 kg/m2 loading. That makes a big difference.

I will have a R/C version ( 1/5 scale ) ready soon. Unfortunately...it is not meant to be car, but it could be driven like a car when wings are off..like all nosewheel aeroplanes.

I don't really believe in flying cars, but I think APTERA and my Tweedy Bird are in the same direction both ecomically and coincidentally also aerodynamically.

I am pretty sure this is the direction we'll have to go when the gas price has all of a sudden doubled in a year.
                              Last edited by First time Juke; 07-08-2008, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X