X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Air Races

Additional Air Races:

Reno Summer Nationals Air Race

I kind of wonder if RARA has considered adding a race format to PRS weekend in June.
    Seems that the infrastructure & know how is already in place to organize/plan a scaled back race weekend in conjunction with PRS.

Could start with ARU format with Unlimiteds only, racing on Saturday and Sunday, with Qualifying Friday.
    The filler between races could be the PRS flying that is normally done, instead of the dead time ARU had (at least at KC).
    Sport Class is probably ready to participate in this also.

Charge one price at the gate to use your own chair in the designated areas, or sit in the bleachers that are already there. Keep it simple.

Could even try out taking people to pylons (inside the course) to watch for an extra fee.

Re: Additional Air Races

Originally posted by Jay
    Additional Air Races:

Reno Summer Nationals Air Race

I kind of wonder if RARA has considered adding a race format to PRS weekend in June.
    Seems that the infrastructure & know how is already in place to organize/plan a scaled back race weekend in conjunction with PRS.

Could start with ARU format with Unlimiteds only, racing on Saturday and Sunday, with Qualifying Friday.
    The filler between races could be the PRS flying that is normally done, instead of the dead time ARU had (at least at KC).
    Sport Class is probably ready to participate in this also.

Charge one price at the gate to use your own chair in the designated areas, or sit in the bleachers that are already there. Keep it simple.

Could even try out taking people to pylons (inside the course) to watch for an extra fee.
    Hmmmmm Matt and I just had this talk in the hanger the other day. What we thought would be a good idea is to have the racers qualify in June. That way teams could do some basework on the course under real race conditions. Have a day or two for rookies to qualify first then give them course time. It would also give the teams a chance to test out new toys, and if for some unforseen reason they don't work. A crew would have three months to work out the bugs. Not just a few days to slam something together. I would really not like to see a repeat of last year when most of the top runners were out by tuesday. This would also be a good sourse of income for RARA. They say they are having a hard time staying in the black. Here's your sign as one red neck comedian says. Oh well they have their reasons I'm sure.

Comment

I think that one of the reasons PRS works, is that it is separated from the pressure and hectic pace that come with the races. To learn, practice, experiment, ask questions without the competitive atmosphere that qualifying or races would bring.
      Some of the students decide that racing is not really for them. They should be allowed to walk away, without having to compete.
      As for airplanes being prepared for Reno, well that's all part of the game...

Paul

Comment

I was told that one of the reasons for establishing PRS was to remove the pressure of having to qualify just before the races started. You can imagine what it would be like to show up at Reno in September with your plane and team (and about 100 friends and family) only to be told that you don't quite have what it takes to race.

The schedule for PRS is pretty tight, and those three days go really fast. Another issue for the Unlimiteds is that there is no race fuel available during PRS, so power is limited to prevent detonation with 100LL. Last year I used about 40" in the Sea Fury and probably ran laps at something like 350 MPH. No ADI either, just spray bar water.

All the classes will put on some sort of "simulated" race on the second or third day, coming around Peavine, picking up the guide pylon and dropping onto the course. Art would set up passing situations, either having us pass him or giving commands on the radio as he orbited above. It's going to be very strange not having him there this year.

Some teams do take the opportunity to get on the course under the FAA waiver. There only two times a year when it's legal to get on the course; during PRS and race week, and only then when race control is in the tower.

With the cancellation of Tunica this year we're going to take advantage of the extra time to "tweak" a few more MPH out before Reno, so I will not be at PRS this year.

Steve
        Race 71

Comment

Even if you had qualifying in June, I would think there is still a need for qualifying in September. I can't imagine far away racers like PM wanting to leave the plane in Reno from June to Sept., and I imagine two trips west is out of the question.
          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

now if there was some $$$$$$ in it....

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini
              I can't imagine far away racers like PM wanting to leave the plane in Reno from June to Sept., and I imagine two trips west is out of the question.
              That MAY be exactly what happens. With Ron now being Rare Bears pilot he could fly both airplanes in one trip. Most of the crew is out west too.

Comment

If you had qualifying at anytime other than September you would probably loose:

Fury
                Bearcat
                Spirit of Texas
                Southern Cross
                Miracle Maker
                Miss A
                Precious Metal

and a few others.

Reno is expensive enough without making two trips a year for one (maybe) break even purse.

Comment

Originally posted by srpatterson
                  If you had qualifying at anytime other than September you would probably loose:

Fury
                  Bearcat
                  Spirit of Texas
                  Southern Cross
                  Miracle Maker
                  Miss A
                  Precious Metal

and a few others.

Reno is expensive enough without making two trips a year for one (maybe) break even purse.
                  Agreed!

Comment

Working...
                  X