For the motor guys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the motor guys.

Did you guys happen to catch the 12 hours of Sebring on Sat.? Wow dude, Audi has done it again! Just when I was losing interest in the ALMS, Audi comes out with a diesel race car. 650hp with over 800ft.lbs. of torque! They came out with the cars debut and set a new track record by over 2 seconds in qualifying and put a woopin' on the field for the whole 12 hours. What a piece man. Ungodly powerful, as quite a race car as I have ever heard, no smoking, in fact it was unbelievably clean at the back end of the car, and it only revs to 5000 rpm which in my opinion is going to make the thing nearly bullet proof. The only thing they did to the car the whole race besides tires and fuel was to change a fuel filter, which was a "just in case" thing. They weren't about to let anyone know what kind of mileage the thing gets but, anybody who has owned a diesel after owning gas will tell you, they get great mileage. Just thought you gear heads could appreciate it.

You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Re: For the motor guys.

Diamond has a diesel engine in their new twin. It burns 11GPH TOTAL (both engines)that's 5.5 GPH a piece. The day is coming.

Comment

I came from a big block Chevy in my last vehicle to one of the new Duramax diesels in my new one. More power, more mpg, more longevity, less maintenance. I won't be going back to gas any time soon. I can't wait for some of the new fuels to catch on over here.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
        Diamond has a diesel engine in their new twin. It burns 11GPH TOTAL (both engines)that's 5.5 GPH a piece. The day is coming.
        At what power setting?

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe there is a place for diesels in the world, and Audi deserves credit for advancing the technology. However, with the exception of Porsche running customer cars in P2, Audi has no factory level competition.

Its always hard to set engine rules for a new (different) engine. Gas turbines got legislated out of Indy when it started looking as though they could win. Rotaries got dumped on by Le Mans after Mazda put up a win.

It won't be politically correct to ban a new technology diesel, but if any of the biggies want back in, you can bet they'll be lobbying very hard to balance the diesel engine rules against gas. Didn't somebody pull off another win at Indy using a big displacement pushrod V8? That was another which was only given one "free pass."
          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini
            Didn't somebody pull off another win at Indy using a big displacement pushrod V8? That was another which was only given one "free pass."
            That was Mercedes in '95 -- the last "real" Indy 500!

The infield biker babes had signs that said, "Show me your pushrod!" Paybacks are a biotch!
            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
              At what power setting?
              Cruise.

Comment

They will have competition next year. Peugeot will have a diesel next year in LMP1

Also how about those C6R's, long live the Corvette, kicked the Aston's as again!!

Comment

I can't get over how quiet it is even at full song. About the only thing you can hear are the turbos and the wind howl. Almost sounds like a turbine car.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
                    Cruise.
                    Cruise ? 55%. 65% .75% ? A little information is a dangerous thing.
                    Tom

Comment

Without giving too much away, I work for one of Audi's competitors and I agree the R8 (and now R10 Diesel) has been without competition since its debut. Having said that, I am glad to see them bring a diesel version to the races so soon. The Germans are preparing for a new onslaught of diesel-tech, so get ready. The only thing I want to know is how can we get one of those racing diesels on the front of a Thunder Mustang.
                      _________
                      -Matt
                      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini
                        Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe there is a place for diesels in the world, and Audi deserves credit for advancing the technology. However, with the exception of Porsche running customer cars in P2, Audi has no factory level competition.

Its always hard to set engine rules for a new (different) engine. Gas turbines got legislated out of Indy when it started looking as though they could win. Rotaries got dumped on by Le Mans after Mazda put up a win.

It won't be politically correct to ban a new technology diesel, but if any of the biggies want back in, you can bet they'll be lobbying very hard to balance the diesel engine rules against gas. Didn't somebody pull off another win at Indy using a big displacement pushrod V8? That was another which was only given one "free pass."
                        The Mazda is back again with a rotary in LMP2, unlike the Audi it is loud as hell. It sounded like an F1 car at Elkhart Lake.

Comment

I did a little searching and this is what I came up with...
                          the Diamond DA42 Twin Star is listed as having a cruise speed @ 80% power of 172 ktas with a 12.5 gph (total) fuel burn. The engine in queston is a Centurion 1.7 turbo charged four cylinder in-line engine that is certified for the use of both jet fuel and automotive diesel.
                          Hope that help a bit.
                          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                          My Photos
                          My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence
                            I came from a big block Chevy in my last vehicle to one of the new Duramax diesels in my new one. More power, more mpg, more longevity, less maintenance. I won't be going back to gas any time soon. I can't wait for some of the new fuels to catch on over here.
                            you mean like this....duramax to the max

Comment

What's with the price of diesel these days? It's a by-product of gasolene production, used to be a fair bit cheaper per-gallon than the more volitile stuff.... now, it always seems to be at a premium... What's the cost of a gallon of jet fuel versus a gal of diesel??

Or a gallon of jet versus avgas..??

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X