Not Quite Ultra-Rare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Quite Ultra-Rare

I started poking around a little bit and found that there are only 4 Beechcraft Starships in service? If so, who flies/opperates the one I see and hear almost everyday here in Reno? Well, it seems like everyday. At least a few times a week. Just curious.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Re: Not Quite Ultra-Rare

You know, I saw something on the History channel just the other night on the Starship...that some guy in Los Angeles actually bought ALL of the spare parts out of the Raytheon 'boneyard', as well as two additional airframes...in order to keep 'his' Starship flying. I guess this guy let Rutan use his plane as 'chase' for Starship 1.

I was under the impression that Raytheon had bought ALL of them back and grounded the entire fleet to be scrapped.

What an absolutely beautiful airplane...with virtually no market.

Comment

There was a Beech Starship at the Yolo County airport in Woodland.
      I think the a/c you are seeing here in Reno is a Piaggio P-180 Avanti. It has a very similiar layout, canard, twin pusher turboprop, but is a little smaller and sportier. I see one buzzing around (literally, you can here it for miles when it flies over) quite a bit. My office is on line with the airport and probably 3 times a week I see it fly out. Can't miss that sound!
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence
        I started poking around a little bit and found that there are only 4 Beechcraft Starships in service? If so, who flies/opperates the one I see and hear almost everyday here in Reno? Well, it seems like everyday. At least a few times a week. Just curious.
        Are you sure it's not one of these....http://www.piaggioamerica.com/

Comment

Speed,
          I've seen a picture of them all lined up engineless.
          What was the reason for the grounding?
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
            I was under the impression that Raytheon had bought ALL of them back and grounded the entire fleet to be scrapped.

What an absolutely beautiful airplane...with virtually no market.
            I think I read somewhere in a flying magazine that they wanted to buy them all back but a few owners wouldn't let go. (this magazine was a couple of years old)

Jarrod

Comment

I found this site devoted to them.
              Starships

Comment

Leo,I got tired of waiting for the Piaggio site to open so I'll take your word for it. From what you described, that's the one. You cannot mistake that sound. The guy deffinately gets some use out of it. Good lookin' little plane.

A few years ago they had a Starship on static out at the races. I don't quite remember what year it was but, it was the only time I saw it there. Anybodyelse remember seeing it there?

Comment

There's a Starship that flys into Hayward (KHWD) once a month or so, bigger than your generic Lear. The Sharper Image people fly an Avanti out of Hillsboro (KHIO), I got a chance to park my shinny new RV3 next to it, got some pictures somewhere. When you walk up to the Avanti to look in the cockpit window you actually look down. A very sexy ship.
                  I'll get N numbers on the Starship if anyone's interested.
                  Tom

Comment

I seem to recall that the Piaggio Avanti pretty much booted the Starship out of the market. The Starship had the looks, but if my memory is right, the Avanti had lower fuel burn for a higher payload and higher speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
                      There's a Starship that flys into Hayward (KHWD) once a month or so...Tom
                      Think it was back, last week.

Comment

There is a Starship that flies here on the East Coast rather regularly. I see it on approach to BWI frequently. It has a very distinctive sound, different from the buzzing described as characteristic of the Piaggio.

Comment

Working...
                        X