griffon fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• griffon fury

a little while back there was talk about the fitting of a griffon onto a sea fury, well, in browsing through victor's website i found what i believe to be that very airplane, it could also be a napier sabre powered version i wasn't aware of............in fact it probably is, because if i remember correctly the griffon version had contra props. still, very cool and a VERY clean looking plane

heh heh alriiiight

Re: griffon fury

Victor talked a bit about it in the Historic Aviation Photography Section along with the photo's.

Photography by Robert D. Archer from the late 1940's to the 1980's. Images in this secton are Copyright Robert D. Archer and are managed by Victor G. Archer/Archer Aviation Photography and Historical Archives.

Comment

Originally posted by matt
      a it could also be a napier sabre powered version i wasn't aware of............

Yep- count exhaust stacks. 12 on each side- definitely a Sabre.

Somewhere I once found a recording of a Sabre-powered fighter starting up and idling- sounds like no other aircraft engine you've ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
        Yep- count exhaust stacks. 12 on each side- definitely a Sabre.

Somewhere I once found a recording of a Sabre-powered fighter starting up and idling- sounds like no other aircraft engine you've ever heard.

Did it sound anything like this?:

Mark Johnson
        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
          Since I'm pretty sure that's the exact recording I'm thinking about, the answer would be "yes." Thanks for finding that, Its safely in my file O interesting sounds now.

Napier sure built engines "outside the box," didn't they? In a way its bad that everything has gotten so uniform these days- everyone's converged on similar designs. Its a completely different application (locomotive and boat), but just as far out there both in sound and in mechanical layout was the Napier Deltic diesel. 18 cylinders, 36 pistons, 3 craankshafts:

Comment

Saweet... I love you guys... SOMEONE always seems to find an answer for whatever the question.. It's like having the best aviation research group at your fingertips!

Ewe guys rock!

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
              Saweet... I love you guys... SOMEONE always seems to find an answer for whatever the question.. It's like having the best aviation research group at your fingertips!

Geeks. We're ALL geeks.

Comment

Napier sure built engines "outside the box," didn't they? In a way its bad that everything has gotten so uniform these days- everyone's converged on similar designs. Its a completely different application (locomotive and boat), but just as far out there both in sound and in mechanical layout was the Napier Deltic diesel. 18 cylinders, 36 pistons, 3 craankshafts:

http://www.55s.co.uk/engines.htm[/QUOTE]

And it's a TWO STROKE!! Imagine what that thing would sound like with a short exhaust stack..

Thanks for the links, 440 Mag. Very cool stuff!
                Mark Johnson
                Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
                  And it's a TWO STROKE!! Imagine what that thing would sound like with a short exhaust stack..

Actually, that recording probably is through a fairly short stack. The phasing of the 3 banks and the turbo makes the exhaust relatively quiet compared to other 2-stroke diesels like a Detroit Diesel or an EMD locomotive.

I've always liked the idea of opposed-piston engines, but the only one still in production is the Fairbanks-Morse 38 series. Over half of the US diesel submarines of WWII used those. Napier raised opposed-piston to a whole new level with the triangular arrangement, that's for sure.

Comment

Did somebody mention Deltic engines?

And it's all I can do to spread butter evenly on toast.
                    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

HOLY FREAKIN' GOD, that engine blows my mind!
                      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

HOLY FREAKIN' GOD, that engine blows my mind!
                        Makes you wish the jet came along just a few years later. Just to see where piston engines (for airplanes) would have gone.

Comment

a little while back there was talk about the fitting of a griffon onto a sea fury, well, in browsing through victor's website i found what i believe to be that very airplane, it could also be a napier sabre powered version i wasn't aware of............in fact it probably is, because if i remember correctly the griffon version had contra props. still, very cool and a VERY clean looking plane

http://www.pbase.com/marauder61/image/55757158
                          Hope I am doing this right people. There definitely was a Griffon engine Fury! The best looking piston engined fighter EVER!!! Fabulous plane!

Comment

Originally posted by Furias
                            Hope I am doing this right people. There definitely was a Griffon engine Fury! The best looking piston engined fighter EVER!!! Fabulous plane!
                            I guess there's no accounting for taste

To me the Griffon Fury is a good example of how an engine installation can ruin an otherwise beautiful aircraft. Sabre Fury... aahhh, now that's an entirely different story. This forum thread has a good photo of each:

I found this too, of the Griffon model, the link on its parent page is broken:

A Sabre powered Fury racer would be quite an experience, sight and sound.

--
                            Eddie

Comment

Still getting the hang of this stuff people...bear with me please!

There definitely was a Griffon engined Fury....fabulous! Best looking piston engined fighter ever!

The Napier Sabre sure was a hairy beast...but the USA, France, Germany anf Russia all went down the H24 path after it! So much power out of such a compact package!

Comment

Working...
                              X