Is this a cool Wx Vane or what.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a cool Wx Vane or what.

this an awesome job.... Could you imagine having one of these hang out over the house or out in the front yard?
    Attached Files
    Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

Re: Is this a cool Wx Vane or what.

Pretty sweet. A little paint and time, and I could have Miss America or Ol' Yeller flying over my house every day (mmmm).

I wouldn't put it in front of my house around HERE though. It would be gone in a week's time. It would definitely have to be a roof-mounted vane.

Any info on it? Is someone selling 'em, or is that a homemade one-of-a-kind?

Comment

Warbird weathervanes (of similar scale to that Risky model) were in production and on sale for big bucks in the very early 90s. I remember seeing them at Oshkosh and other places. In fact an awesome guy named Frank Ryder (sadly, later killed in a Malibu) placed a few of them on top of his World War I aerodrome museum at 8A1 in AL. When the propellers spun in a strong breeze, they just looked incredible. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the company that produced and sold them.
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

That one looks like metal. The (ex) Champlin museum still has fiberglass Mustang and Spitfire weathervanes on poles outside the entrance and the CAF Arizona Wing has a Corsair and I think a T-6 from the same company. Can't remember who made them but they are about 6 foot span or so and look quite good. They've also stood up to the Arizona summers better than I would have thought!

Comment

Thanks rwflyboy for posting the picture of the P-51 weathervane. I can answer a few questions about it since I am the person who built it. It is metal and has an 8' wingspan. When complete it will sit atop a tall steel pole and turn into the wind (prop turns too). I make my living as a metal sculptor and make these vanes one at a time. Each airplane is created on a case by case basis since I do not want to make a whole lot of the same image. The best part about it is that it is one heck of a lot of fun to do this. I am flattered that people enjoy my airplane sculptures and hope to do this for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
            his World War I aerodrome museum at 8A1 in AL
            Is that place closed? I stopped there on a fuel stop on my way to Rough River last year and the place looked boarded up and abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
              Is that place closed? I stopped there on a fuel stop on my way to Rough River last year and the place looked boarded up and abandoned.
              Yeah it's closed . My aunt lives in the woods right behind that place, so we used to hang out there alot. In fact I did a ton of my primary training at 8A1. After Mr. Ryder's crash in the mid-90s, the estate (including the museum) fell into endless legal wrangling and the museum closed. Oddly, they took the warbird weathervanes down, but never took down the signs for the museum. I would love to turn that hangar complex into rental space, because there is a shortage of hangars at 8A1 already.
              Before he crashed, he put on a couple of the damndest WWI-fleet airshows you've ever imagined.
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

mzart, what price range do they run? And do you do tigercats or corsairs?
                Tony

Comment

There is a fella in Minnesota that makes large Mustang and Corsair weather vanes. $725 ea. (just bought 2)

Comment

Working...
                  X