Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scanner for Reno

Folks,

I would like to buy a scanner for Reno this year. Can someone give me some advice on what to get?

Buzzman
    Buzzman
    [FONT=Times New Roman]

Re: scanner for Reno

Rick Pisio (rzpo) recommended the Konica-Minolta Scan Dual IV once . . . out of my price range for now, but I guess it depends on what you want it for. I have a flatbed scanner (one of those built into a printer/copier/fax-things) and I can confidently say that I don't like the results. The K-M scanner actually scans the negative or slide, which my scanner can't do. Someday . . .

There was a thread about this somewhere I think . . . but maybe I'm just getting confused.

Disclaimer: I am, by NO MEANS, an expert upon this subject!
    --Amy

-Tomcats and Red Mustangs Forever-

Comment

Uh, Amy, I think Buzzman might be asking about radio type scanners... then again I could be wrong.
      If so... get a RECEIVER only. Don't know how many times I heard over the PA... "Will everyone that is using a scanner PLEASE check that they are not transmitting!! Someone out there has a stuck mic and you are clogging up the radios." or something to that effect. Here's what I ended up with, not the best but it works.
      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
      My Photos
      My Ride

Comment

I used to use a fairly large Uniden portable scanner... it was one of the first hand held units from them... Battery kept going out and I got tired of having to solder up rechargables to fit inside its proprietary housing... Last year at Reno, Griffon Girl decided she wanted a unit more petite than her "Sporty's Pilot Shop" unit (slightly smaller than my old Uniden) and made me a deal I could't refuse on her's....

I'd have to say, try Sporty's, it seems to work well and I don't think GG paid all that much for it..

And I'll second the motion to NOT buy a "hand held" (traditionally the term used for a hand held two way aviation radio) and if you are a pilot and bring yours to Reno... tape a safety over the transmit button!!! The racers are VERY reluctant to give out their freqs. due to the "stuck mic syndrome".. Eliminate it and we can all have fun listening in.

A piece of plastic spoon (or your favorite improvised material) and duct tape over the button should do the trick...

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I use the BearCat (oddly enough). It's the same basic scanner you can get at any vender. Works great for all race events and it has no transmit button. You can pick up a race scanner from Radio Shack for pretty cheap also. Whatever you do, buy a SCANNER, not a radio. I'm starting to get real suspect of the infamous stuck mic button every year. It has gotten to be a regular thing and it usually lasts way longer than it should if it was just a careless fan. O.K, I'll say it. Sabotage. I think it's a digruntled home owner trying to interfere with the races the only way he can. It's too bad there's not a way to track the signal. I think there would be a hangin'.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence
            It's too bad there's not a way to track the signal. I think there would be a hangin'.
            I'm sure there is a way and the military has probably found that way. There are some members here that are in the military, maybe they can help. Pilots...bombs...hmm...

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
              I'm sure there is a way and the military has probably found that way. There are some members here that are in the military, maybe they can help. Pilots...bombs...hmm...

Jarrod
              Actually, most amateur radio operators would be able to triangulate most any signal and get a fairly good lock on said signal. If there were such intentional interference with an FAA freq, I'd wager they'd be on it long ago.

I suspect it's just some guy/guys who have hand helds in their pocket and they sit on them and totally forget about it... or *ahem* some chick pilot who's lipstick is sitting on the transmit button in her purse..

<ducks and runs from flying objects>

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence
                You can pick up a race scanner from Radio Shack for pretty cheap also.
                My friends and I have been using a $300 "shack" handheld scanner since the late 90's with good results. Before that I used a multi-band radio that picked up aircraft frequencies (108-136 mhz).

Even with the scanner it can take awhile to find the proper frequency, so I usually end up walking down the fenceline until I overhear someone's receiver broadcasting the race transmissions, and then asking them what frequency they are listening to.

Comment

I had "Shak" 100 channel,
                  it worked well after I added another antenna....

....seems it was about$150.....
                  they have a couple in that price range now 200 channel!

...I'd still add a better antenna and a decent set of
                  "cuff type" headphones...(those fans get load at all the "wrong" moments!)

....battery life was acceptable....all day 05:30>18:00 and had some battery left.....just used a top brand of alkalines.....

your whole package should be able to be had for at $$250

...If you have more budget....go the "Sporty's " route....
                  Mayday51
                  Jim Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                    Uh, Amy, I think Buzzman might be asking about radio type scanners... then again I could be wrong.
                    It was early at least . . . Guess I've spent too much time surfing FenceCheck
                    --Amy

-Tomcats and Red Mustangs Forever-

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu

Jarrod
                      Take a DF cut off of it and call in air support.

With today's targeting, I'm sure a Mud Hen could drop in a well-placed Tac-Nuc in the middle of Section 3 and only have minimal collateral damage.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                        With today's targeting, I'm sure a Mud Hen could drop in a well-placed Tac-Nuc in the middle of Section 3 and only have minimal collateral damage.
                        It might disrupt the races though

Jarrod

Comment

Hummn... didn't even think of it but my Uniden Bearcat still works fine. About every two years, you have to take apart the battery section and replace the rechargeable cells.. six I think, requires soldering the tabs.. it's a PITA but not difficult for those without six thumbs...

I'd part with it for $50. Leather case, earphone... no manual, unfortunately... I think it was originally about a $300. unit
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

If someone takes up your offer they might be able to download the manual online. I found several free D/Ls for bearcat manuals, but without the model number I couldn't be sure if any were for your radio or not.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                              If someone takes up your offer they might be able to download the manual online. I found several free D/Ls for bearcat manuals, but without the model number I couldn't be sure if any were for your radio or not.
                              I'd imagine you could find one.. I'm in the process of packing up to move, when I run across it, I'll post up the model number, etc..

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X