P-51 Engine Work Almost Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-51 Engine Work Almost Done

We decided to install the Merlin Fingers late last year and at the same time replace the starter drive clutch which was acting up.

Since we had the engine almost out, we went ahead and pulled it and did a firewall forward cosmetic rework.

This airplane had the gun port bubbles cut out and patched over, so we removed those skins and got a new set. So far we only have the simulated guns, but are planning on installing all 6 of the 50 cals. with everything we can get into the gun bays.

Yes Ashley, as you have have so mildy suggested to me, we still have not painted it yet and we do not plan on it for a while. Now YOU have to help me find an artist who can copy the ratty war torn paint for the new gun port skins.
    Attached Files

Re: P-51 Engine Work Almost Done

ya know, i like seeing a mustang that's a little ragged. it's a little more accurate
    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Who did you get your Merlin fingers from?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_UK
        Who did you get your Merlin fingers from?
        Nixon - Vintage V-12s.

Comment

I agree with matt, I think a little war torn looks cool.
          Tony

Comment

Spam Can at the 2005 races was a little grimy. I thought it looked a lot more "authentic" that way.
            My son, however, was itching to give it a good wash and wax!
            He details my car for show and can't stand dust let alone oil and exhaust streaks.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

>>>Now YOU have to help me find an artist who can copy the ratty war torn paint for the new gun port skins.<<<

King,
              Well- I know an artist/painter, but he's really busy right now....

However, it's actually really easy-

First, go down to the hardware store and find some silver Krylon- this should match your previous paint somewhat close. Don't worry about masking the airplane, just spray it on. Next, install six live fifties in the Mustang and spend about two grand on some fifty cal ammo.

Now, go out in the middle of nowhere (probably a few miles in any direction from your location) and fire off all the ammo. The muzzle flash and powder residues should effectively help in matching your original paint to the new Krylon and hiding any irregularities.

Who needs an airbrush- besides, that'd be too expensive to hire someone to go all the way out to the middle of nowhere, right? Maybe Mike Dillon can help with the logistics.

AE

Comment

[QUOTE=ezellav
                King,
                Well- I know an artist/painter, but he's really busy right now....

However, it's actually really easy-

First, go down to the hardware store and find some silver Krylon- this should match your previous paint somewhat close. Don't worry about masking the airplane, just spray it on. Next, install six live fifties in the Mustang and spend about two grand on some fifty cal ammo.

Now, go out in the middle of nowhere (probably a few miles in any direction from your location) and fire off all the ammo. The muzzle flash and powder residues should effectively help in matching your original paint to the new Krylon and hiding any irregularities.

Who needs an airbrush- besides, that'd be too expensive to hire someone to go all the way out to the middle of nowhere, right? Maybe Mike Dillon can help with the logistics.

AE[/QUOTE]

Okay, since y'all are Texans, I'll speak the immortal words of Hank Hill.....

"There's just something not quite right with that boy....."

Comment

Originally posted by ezellav
                  Next, install six live fifties in the Mustang and spend about two grand on some fifty cal ammo.

AE
                  Whats this thing about the middle of nowhere? I happen to think we are at least...........well..........somewhere.

Guess I need to call my ole beer drinking buddy in West Texas and see if he has some live fifties laying around. Bet he does!!!

Wanna come watch the fun Ash? I can see it now........."uh officer...ya see we wus jus making our little aeromobile realistic looking.........hold my beer............watch this!".

Comment

Who wouldn't want to witness a P-51 making a pass with all six going!

Well, anyway.....

In all seriousness- the new gun blisters look really good. I assume ya'll fabbed those up yourselves?

In one of the Mustang restorations we did a few years back, my brother did burn off some gunpowder and sprinkled the residue in the gun bays. He was trying to get some "authentic" smells for when it was to be judged.

AE

Comment

Can I borrow your son? Please? My little plane wouldn't take too much time for him to wash and wax!
                      He'd jump at the chance, and he does awesome work.
                      As he gets close to driving, his motivation seems stronger.
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by ezellav
                        Who wouldn't want to witness a P-51 making a pass with all six going!

Well, anyway.....

In all seriousness- the new gun blisters look really good. I assume ya'll fabbed those up yourselves?

In one of the Mustang restorations we did a few years back, my brother did burn off some gunpowder and sprinkled the residue in the gun bays. He was trying to get some "authentic" smells for when it was to be judged.

AE
                        I think I will go ahead with the real gun thing.

If I get caught by the feds, I'll just point north and say "Ash told me I could do it. He does it all of the time."

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                          Okay, since y'all are Texans, I'll speak the immortal words of Hank Hill.....

"There's just something not quite right with that boy....."
                          "Dang it, Dale!!"

Comment

Ya'll be careful rigging your P-51 ... Didn't I just read about someone in Alaska that was arrested for having 2 'rocket pods' for his 'buddies' L-39 ?!?

sgt

Comment

To even own the .50 cal machine guns you need a class III license. There is probably some law banning the mounting of live machine guns in an aircraft. Also functioning .50 cal machine guns are fairly expensive.
                              Mounting cut .50 cal in the would obviously fire live rounds but would be cheaper and would not require you to get a class III license.
                              If your serious about it I would check into it first.

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                              X