Errol Roberson "Puffin"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errol Roberson "Puffin"

My name is Karen. My father was Errol Roberson who was fatally injured in 1989 while racing the Puffin. I would love to hear from anyone who knew my father, or who may possibly have pictures. I was quite young when he passed, and as all children are as they get older, very curious.

I was only able to make one race, but I remember it was all he talked about for months before and months after.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Errol Roberson "Puffin"

Hello Karen, I was Jim Miller's Crew Chief for "Pushy Cat" and had meet your father. He was a good man and loved air-racing.

Not sure if I have any photos of "Puffin" or your father, but will look around and see what I can find.

I know I do have a photo of your mother, Jim and I in front of the grand stands, right after the 1991 Gold IF1 race when Jim won.

Comment

Originally posted by King
      Hello Karen, I was Jim Miller's Crew Chief for "Pushy Cat" and had meet your father. He was a good man and loved air-racing.

Not sure if I have any photos of "Puffin" or your father, but will look around and see what I can find.

I know I do have a photo of your mother, Jim and I in front of the grand stands, right after the 1991 Gold IF1 race when Jim won.

Well, if it was in '91, it was probably my step-mother. We lost touch shortly after my father was killed, however, I would love to reconnect with her. Unfortunately, with divorced families it is hard to keep those ties together.

I have never found an accurate description of what happened that day at the races. Understandably, Pam was very upset, and I was 9 months pregnant at the time and living in Tennessee. Do you have any recollection of the cause of the crash?

I would really appreciate any pictures you happen upon. My youngest son is determined to follow in my father's footsteps, and I am limited to only one picture of my father with the plane.

Thank you for your response!

Comment

I would really appreciate any pictures you happen upon. My youngest son is determined to follow in my father's footsteps, and I am limited to only one picture of my father with the plane.
        SWEET!!! i hope that this sits well with you as air racing needs more young people to keep it going. will you be able to make it to the races this year? i bet your son would love an up close and personal look at the real deal...
        heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Originally posted by karensullivan
          Well, if it was in '91, it was probably my step-mother. We lost touch shortly after my father was killed, however, I would love to reconnect with her. Unfortunately, with divorced families it is hard to keep those ties together.

I have never found an accurate description of what happened that day at the races. Understandably, Pam was very upset, and I was 9 months pregnant at the time and living in Tennessee. Do you have any recollection of the cause of the crash?

Thank you for your response!
          PM sent!

Comment

Originally posted by matt
            SWEET!!! i hope that this sits well with you as air racing needs more young people to keep it going. will you be able to make it to the races this year? i bet your son would love an up close and personal look at the real deal...
            Well, unfortunately Reno is not in the plans for this year. It falls after school starts here. I'm by no means opposed to his choice in career paths. At this point in time he is 11 years old and riding supercross on an adult sized motocross cycle. He's definitely got the same desire for adrenaline my father had. However, I do plan on trying to work it into vacation plans for the following year.

I can only afford for him to compete in one sport at the moment, as my oldest is into car racing (no one ever informed me children were so expensive!) He is planning on beginning lessons for his pilots license as soon as he is old enough, which I encourage tremendously. Even with the manner my father's career ended, he had mentioned on numerous occassions he would rather die doing something he loved than grow old being bored. There isn't much more you can do with your life than the things that you love!

Comment

Originally posted by karensullivan
              Well, unfortunately Reno is not in the plans for this year. It falls after school starts here. I'm by no means opposed to his choice in career paths. At this point in time he is 11 years old and riding supercross on an adult sized motocross cycle. He's definitely got the same desire for adrenaline my father had. However, I do plan on trying to work it into vacation plans for the following year.

I can only afford for him to compete in one sport at the moment, as my oldest is into car racing (no one ever informed me children were so expensive!) He is planning on beginning lessons for his pilots license as soon as he is old enough, which I encourage tremendously. Even with the manner my father's career ended, he had mentioned on numerous occassions he would rather die doing something he loved than grow old being bored. There isn't much more you can do with your life than the things that you love!
              amen to that, if only more mothers were as supportive. if they haven't seen the races yet i think they will get a BIG kick out of it, see ya there.
              heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Karen, As I told you in the private message, I bet Neal Nurmi has some shots of your father- Neal has a very good catalog of the past 25+ years of racing.

Not sure if Neal checks in every day, but I bet he will post something when he sees this thread.

Please keep in touch, nice to have chatted with you. All the best, RG

Karen, I have sent you another private message
                Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Karen,
                  If you'd like to see the NTSB report, you can start with this link about the probable cause:

All my best wishes to you and your family.
                  Chris

Comment

I didn't know your father but I got to see him race once and it was exciting to see someone racing such a unique plane. His participation added a lot to the sport.

Michele

Comment

Karen,

I knew your father although not that well.........and I was in that race in 1989. Like Dash said he really loved the air racing and was very active at Reno even when not racing. As I remember he used to bring Salmon to the IF1 BBQ every year. I remember him for the great person he was and we all really wish he was still around.

Hep

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        Karen,

I knew your father although not that well.........and I was in that race in 1989. Like Dash said he really loved the air racing and was very active at Reno even when not racing. As I remember he used to bring Salmon to the IF1 BBQ every year. I remember him for the great person he was and we all really wish he was still around.

Hep
                        The salmon definitely sounds like him! I ate more Salmon growing up than I care to remember, however I would love a case of his home smoked salmon about now.

I would love to hear from more people that did know him, especially ones that knew him well. My youngest son is reading these as well and first thing every day he asks me to check to see if anything else has been posted. He loved the picture!! Thank you to everyone who has been so kind

Comment

HI Karen,
                          This is Jon Sharp. Sadly I was flying in that race. I remember it very well as it was a light wind day, and it was hot. These kind of conditions at Reno normally trigger dust devils during the day. This day was characterized by lots dust devils all around the airport, and race course. As the race progressed, I saw a dust devil approaching from the Southwest end of the race course, moving in a northeast direction. It could be seen as I went down the back straightaway, but I would loose sight of it as I was turning with the wing up. At the time I was not near any traffic which allowed me to keep an eye out for dust devils and the like. On the lap that the tragedy happened the dust devil was on the course line, I had lost sight of it, but as I went passed pylon 5 heading to 6 it hit my plane with "moderate to severe" and it flipped me all around. That level of turbulence told me that I was on the very leading edge fringe of it and therefore could be termed as "moderate to severe". As a plane the size of a F-1 gets closer to the center of it, there is MONSTER wind shifts/shear that would, and did put an airplane especially one of this size into a regime that it could not withstand. It is VERY violent! It was said by observers that Errol's plane pitched violently perpendicular to the flight line, and then back again, then began to come apart in flight. This is best described as if you were going down a freeway with your hand out the window parallel to the air the suddenly turn your hand vertical to stop the wind, then back again, but at 240 MPH. Ray Cote was near Errol when it happened and He spoke of the turbulence that he went through. It was beyond severe. I think that Ray hit it on the fringe also, but your dad was not so lucky, he hit it square in the middle. That would make the plane pitch violently as it was described. Your Dad was a wonderful man, very kind, and Always had a big smile on his face. I can say that your dad was having the time of his life in his plane racing at Reno. Leading up to Reno that year, he was SO excited, and couldn't wait for it to get there. He was having so much fun! The air race family lost a very special man with your dad. He is still missed to this day. I can see him smiling, as I write this note. he's smiling on you as you read this. God bless you Karen!
                          Jon

Comment

Mr. Sharp, I have to say you are a class act indeed. Very thoughtful and well spoken. Karen you just heard it from the best..
                            Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

In 1989 Deke Slayton resigned as President of Formula One and I was elected in his place. Almost my first function as President was the toughest - to write and give a eulogy for Errol at the Memorial Service that Formula One organized in his name. Afterward, some time during the weekend I think, a spectator came up and gave me this poem about Puffin; I don't know Alaina, and as far as I know it has never been published, but I hope she will forgive me for sharing her beautiful piece with the racing community.

ODE TO PUFFIN by Alaina Clark
                              It happens out in Reno,
                              it happens in the fall,
                              The airplanes come from all around,
                              to see who’s the fastest of them all.

The Unlimiteds are haughty,
                              the great princes of the race.
                              AT6’s are more humble,
                              they fly a slower pace.
                              Then you have the biplanes,
                              as cute as they can be.
                              But my favorites are the Formula Ones,