757 High Speed pass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 757 High Speed pass

Anybody know the story behind this remarkable clip?
    The sound is incredible, not to mention the visual effect of such a fantastic, modern airplane doing such a great old-school demonstration...

_________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Re: 757 High Speed pass

Neat video, is it at an air show? There are not very many spectators that I can see.

Jarrod

Comment

Looks military to me. I don't even know if it's in the US.
      Since we've all been chatting about "what to do with the jet class" this video definitely gives me some ideas...
      _________
      -Matt

Comment

Awesome video! I dont think racer though,looked like from the climb angle he was going into a tail slide? so maybe aerobatic?

Comment

It looked like he has just enough speed to level off after he disappeared into the clouds. Hell of a ride though.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, This is your captain speaking...

...before we land, I though I might give you a small demonstration of my days as a former Blue Angels flight leader..."

I'm not sure of the occasion, but I've seen that clip at the following site. It has a huge number of interesting and sometimes humorous aircraft-related photos and video clips. Links posted at the bottom lead to more interesting aviation-related pages too:

(WARNING: At least one photo on the site features mild nudity.)

Comment

Royal New Zealand AF, from what I understand.

Comment

What was that, about a 3.5-G pull-up?
              _________
              -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
                What was that, about a 3.5-G pull-up?
                Yeah, and how many negative G on recovery? That had to be a pretty abrupt pushover, or he used a ton of altitude getting it back to level flight. I wonder what the limits are on that AC.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Yeah, and how many negative G on recovery? That had to be a pretty abrupt pushover, or he used a ton of altitude getting it back to level flight. I wonder what the limits are on that AC.
                  Never done an instrument nose-high recovery before? It's possible to do without the wings-level pushover that you're envisioning.

If you simply unload the airplane to less than 1G (but not negative), the pitch will naturally decrease without a stall. It works even better if you can put about 60 degrees of bank in there and just let the nose slice down to the horizon. The jet will get slow and probably require a bit of a nose-over to regain airspeed, but it won't over-stress the airframe by any means.

Try it in a 172 or something...it works just as well. If you are not demanding anything from the airplane, you won't exceed the critical AOA of the wing and stall. It will just fly a natural ballistic parabola through space until you get back to nose-low flying airspeed again.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                    Never done an instrument nose-high recovery before? It's possible to do without the wings-level pushover that you're envisioning.

If you simply unload the airplane to less than 1G (but not negative), the pitch will naturally decrease without a stall. It works even better if you can put about 60 degrees of bank in there and just let the nose slice down to the horizon. The jet will get slow and probably require a bit of a nose-over to regain airspeed, but it won't over-stress the airframe by any means.

Try it in a 172 or something...it works just as well. If you are not demanding anything from the airplane, you won't exceed the critical AOA of the wing and stall. It will just fly a natural ballistic parabola through space until you get back to nose-low flying airspeed again.
                    Aren't we talking about 'BASIC' unusual attitude recovery? Isn't that taught to virtually EVERY pilot who has ever gone through training?

Comment

I swear I was on an MD-80 ride about like that during an aborted landing at Atlanta Not really, but it felt like it when he pulled the gear and flaps up and climbed like a homesick angel.

I agree, its really cool to see something that new (and big, and normally so placid and predictable) doing an old fashioned high-speed pass.

Comment

440_Magnum, was you ride anything like this one?

Comment

To be honest, probably not even close. But it sure felt like it! It was one of those typical Atlanta summer flights- hold over Alabama for 40 minutes waiting for weather to clear ATL, get clearance, head in, weather closes down again. We were getting the boogers pounded out of us and we could hear the thunder over the engines inside the cabin. Thankfully, the pilot said "enough of this" and pulled up hard. A few seconds later the clouds below cleared enough to show us just passing above ATL and still climbing, probably at about 5000 feet. Finally wound up diverted to Augusta for fuel. Finally got where I was going at 2 AM

Hmmm. come to think of it that was my last flight through ATL... I've been avoiding it like the plague ever since.

Comment

The 757 leveled off fine after they got everyone out of the tail section

Lynn

Comment

Think about an airliner's angle of climb when fully loaded, then imagine a lightly loaded plane's performance! I know I've read somewhere on these boards about crews deadheading an empty plane to its maintenance base -- they are hotrods when empty...
                              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
                              X