SeaFury question ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeaFury question ...

Can someone comment on to the level if anythe Seafury " The Spirit of Texas " #105 is modified ?

RJ
    " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Re: SeaFury question ...

Originally posted by rje71
    Can someone comment on to the level if anythe Seafury " The Spirit of Texas " #105 is modified ?

RJ
    All I know for certain are the obvious things:

- R3350 in place of Centaurus
    - Reduced cowl/spinner clearance
    - Custom cowl with "Dreadnought" style induction scoop
    - faired-over wing root induction inlets

I'd say its a safe bet its got an Ezell oil cooler too.

Comment

2 seats and a larger canopy

Jarrod

Comment

Nelson also does a nice conversion on the stock hydraulic system, which is much cleaner than the original. You can really notice the difference in the wheel well, where "Spirit Of Texas" and Howard Pardue's "Fury" are very clean with about 6 lines all neatly routed together, "Southern Cross" and other Sea Furies with the stock system look like pasta salad with lines running all over the place. Also, whereas I have F-102 wheels and brakes both SOT and Fury have P-80, which are much lighter. Of course Howard also has his tuned exhaust, and Stewart also has some major cleanup to the exhaust.

Both of these aircraft also have extra fuel tanks in the wings, which is nice as you carry extra fuel without the drag of the external drop tanks on cross country flights. I have to carry about 2-3" extra M.P. to keep up when we go to Reno with my drop tanks attached.

I would also say that Stewart has the slickest paint job out there (not just the stunning way it looks). Chad Ezell did an excellent job of making "Spirit of Texas" a very clean, smooth airframe.

Comment

Hey Everyone ....

Thanks so much for the input and the replies !! Very much apreciated !

I do like the paint on SOT very much ...

Robert
          " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

Here is the start of my SeaFury that will eventually become " The Spirit of Texas " ....

I removed the buldged area from the top of the wing, filled the gun ports and extended the cocpit area a scale 4 ft back ...

The evergreen stock on the top will become the ( supercharger intake ??? ) ..

I know Jet's mostly so this is new to me ... Any input is welcome ...

RJ

PS: Have the F-102 stlye wheels already from the Hasagawa F-102 ....
            Attached Files
            " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

From the looks of it, you might want to make the intake about half again as wide.

Comment

That part isn't attatched, you say it needs to be thinner ?

RJ
                " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

Thanks Victor ... They do help indeed !!

Thank you !!!

Robert
                  " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

That part isn't attatched, you say it needs to be thinner ?

RJ

W-i-d-e-r......and it actually has a slight divergence to it from front to rear.

Comment

Thanks ... got it .. Shouldnt be to hard to add the taper to the back...

RJ
                      " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                        These might be of some help.

I just had to leave those in the quoted text, they're so d*** good!

Victor, I'll bet the owners and pilots could learn a few things that are going on with their airplanes at speed from your photos, the way Bob Button learned about the "Voodoo bubbles" from a photo a few years back (whose photo was that? Wayne?).

One thing I've wondered about SOT is why the gold spinner? Maybe a spare from 'Fury?' The first thought I had was "why not a 'Lone Star' in white on a blue spinner?" Or a gold star on white (you'd have to have seen the statue on top of the Texas capitol building to know where I got that inspiration)

Comment

Have to scrounge some P-80 wheel's ... I need the 102 wheels for " Southern Cross " ..

RJ
                          " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

Have to scrounge some P-80 wheel's ... I need the 102 wheels for " Southern Cross " ..

RJ
                            T-33 wheels are the same as a p-80... I think?

It's what the bear has, and they might be easier to find.

Edit: aw crap this is for a model I forgot. Still the same applies.

Comment

Working...
                            X