Just *another* note to the unregged posters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just *another* note to the unregged posters

Hummn.. guess it's time once again to preach.

We get some pretty interesting posts from you unregged guys. A lot of them will get on the board.. that said.. if any of them are at all.. .shall we say.. challenging.

They will NOT see the light of day without a signature.

We're pretty lenient about not requiring a membership to post but as stated in the past. If any unregged messages are at the least bit.. "controversial" and are left unsigned.. at best, about three moderator level users here on the board will see them and then they go to the bitbucket for good..

If you can take the time to spill your opinion, you can take the time to own the damn thing!

I may not have much to say of any consequential value but all my messages posted anywhere carry a membership or signature..

NO LOUD VOICES FROM THE BACK OF THE DARK CORNERS OF THE ROOM...

"Who said that????"

Who said WHAT??!!

Sign it or don't bother, it just chokes my inbox with the notification and wastes my time reading it..

SIGN IT!

Wayne Sagar,
    Target
    picture and directions on request
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Just *another* note to the unregged posters

yours isn't the only forum that suffers from people who refuse to register to the forum to post their threads and I agree with you . If you are going to take the time to start a thread , answer a thread , or just BS on the forum , at least honer the person who set up the website and runs the forum and signup like the rest of us
    blacksheep
    Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Comment

While it makes it easier to manage if everyone signs up, I really don't mind those who choose not to for whatever reason. What gets my goat is folks who post some fairly challenging messages and omit signing them full knowing that I'm going to delete them.

Why bother?

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Even forums that require registration to post messages are not a final solution. I've encountered people who sign-up under a fake name, or more often enter no name or personal info at all.

I see that occur a lot in gaming forums, where kids are encouraged by parents to include no personal info in their profiles for safety reasons. In those cases, I can understand why.

But then again, AAFO is pretty much a forum used by far more mature folk than those seen on gaming sites. Perhaps you SHOULD require visitor to register in order to post their comments. If anyone truly has something worthwhile to say, then they will take the time to sign up without complaint, and it would certainly free you from this situation.

Steve (AirDOGGe) Dodge

(P.S....I think AAFO is the only forum to date that I have run across that DIDN't require registering in order to post.)

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
          Even forums that require registration to post messages are not a final solution. I've encountered people who sign-up under a fake name, or more often enter no name or personal info at all.

......... (P.S....I think AAFO is the only forum to date that I have run across that DIDN't require registering in order to post.)
          It was a tough call and always is a tough call to go regged or non-regged. This board, fortunately, has the option (after some fooling with group permissions) to throw unregged posts into a review queue.

I like leaving it free for unregged posters for one reason really, sometimes some really good folks don't have time or the inclination to bother with regging...

Their cookie times out... whatever..

Tom Campau keeps us really well informed about Mystical Power and often as not, he does it from a different computer than normal and doesn't bother to sign in..

We'd lose this sort of connection I think by closing the doors..

As for the no personal information on new memberships.. As of a year or so ago, new members are required to give a first and last name, only the forum admin can see this name but if I see someone sign in with a new membership and try to spoof this. I put them on hold and throw their posts into the queue for review until I can see if they are up to no good..

It all works fairly slick, only ever so often does anyone attempt a spam-spoof of the membership thing..

The biggest gripe I have about some of the queued posts is the content is basically OK, or would be, if the author used a name so that whomever they were aiming their "barb" at could know who was saying it..

Otherwise, it all works pretty well and only once in a while do I get frustrated and start a thread such as this..

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply, and may the annoying, nameless message posters be few and far between.

Comment

Working...
            X