Where Have I heard this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Have I heard this?

With just a few word changes, I think that most of these ideas have aired somewhere/sometime on this board.

.....it still deserves second thoughts

Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher

Re: Where Have I heard this?

Sadly unlimited hydro racing has turned into one of the least interesting motorsports on the planet. The change to turbines and the recently introduced rules to force fast boats to go slower to make the racing "interesting" (which hasn't worked by the way) makes the end of the race lack any drama.

That said there are parallels to the situation with air racing today. I personally think the Reno's short sighted decision for years to grant exclusive video coverage rights to one company elminating any network or even cable coverage meant that if you didn't already know about air racing you probably weren't going to learn about it. You'll never get major sponsors if there aren't eyeballs on the airplanes. With basically one event and no real media you can't make a compelling pitch for sponsorship. Bruce Bohannan realized that and this resulted in him leaving racing and focusing on activities that could get sponsors (and himself) some attention. He also has his airplane on display all over the country making sure those sponsor are getting the eyeballs they pay for. Most of the fastest unlimited spend their time between Renos in various stages of dissassembly tucked away in hangers somewhere or at best in a fixed location where some viewing is possible but to a limited audience.

I personally don't believe there is any way in its present form that unlimited air racing can ever get much bigger than it is now. If there was a new unlimited class created that focused on new technology racers that could actually make a complete national circuit AND somehow enough venues were found to make a circuit then maybe.

One thing I think we should also consider. Look where Nascar started. In the dirt tracks that almost every city has. Think of how many races happen at these venues every week. This is the foundation that let them build what they have today. There is nothing in aviation slightly similar to build on.

Michele

Comment

For whatever its worth, LLumar sponsored our team for nine consecutive years. That is a pretty darn good string...and we did pretty well for them. They declined renewing the sponsorship for 2006 due to some budgetary restructuring, but left open the possibility of returning in 2007.

We won two races for them this year, finished overall third in the points, and were voted 'Boat of the Year', 'Rookie of the Year', and 'Crew Chief of the Year'. They had no complaints with the way that we represented them or sold their product.

Yes, they were unhappy with the television package being what it was, but the OLN package was a result of the fued between the sanctioning body and 'outlaw' race sites which split loyalties, and essentially 'halved' the number of shows which were promised to Speed Channel.

Michelle, I think you are a year or two behind the times...because the 'meddling' with the fuel restrictors and such is from a couple years ago. The new ownership of the series is more standardized, and allows everyone to run the same equipment at the same rate.

And the races in 2005 were as good as anyone can remember in the last 10-15 years, with virtually every race up for grabs to any number of teams.

What everyone must remember is that hydroplane racing (or air racing) is NOT NASCAR. You can't put 43 hydroplanes (or airplanes) out on the course and run them flat out for three to four hours. You can't 'draft'...you can't 'slingshot'. It just isn't the same medium. So you can't compare.

If you take a look the number of sponsored NASCAR teams has actually declined over the last few years. Everyone wanted to jump on the bandwagon at the end of the '90's and into the new century...but companies were throwing MILLIONS of dollars into half-rate teams and getting virtually NOTHING for their investment. The most they could hope for was a picture of the car during the starting line-up, and maybe something as they got lapped or crashed.

There are actually a lot of sponsors who got OUT of NASCAR because they weren't willing to spend the kind of money it takes to be a Hendrick, Rousch, Gibbs, or Childress style competitor.

I know Jody Moore, the guy who wrote the article...and appreciate where he is coming from...but it is unfair to compare either sport to the corporate success from NASCAR. As it was, NASCAR struggled for years to get where they are...and they are reaping the benefits. It didn't happen overnight.

Comment

I see valid points from both Speed & Michelle.
        I will have to agree with them (in general).

What we seem to agree upon is an impending "extinction" due to starvation.

.....a loosely organized tour complete with "demo" races at more air shows?

.....mere show-up displays at existing shows ?

.....I'm fighting for one of the final things that thrill me....
        ...(and maybe inciting too much)...
        ...I know someone has much ore power and knowledge on this than I.

just have to keep makin' noise............
        Mayday51
        Jim Gallagher

Comment

Working...
        X