History of Reno Air Races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Reno Air Races

Hi, my name is Steven, and i am a resident of california. I am doing a project on the Reno Air Races and i was wondering if anyone had any information on the history of the races. If you have any information and would like to help you can just reply on this post.

Thank you

Re: History of Reno Air Races

I recommend John Tegler's Gentlemen, You Have A Race for a year-by-year account of the races from '64 to '84.

Comment

Try contacting RARA directly. Their website is www.airrace.org.
      Betty

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
        I recommend John Tegler's Gentlemen, You Have A Race for a year-by-year account of the races from '64 to '84.
        Well "I", and my "other brother Randy" would probably recommend just looking at the pictures, and taking the content of the writing with a grain of salt.

Now, if we could just finish (or START) "Brad & Randy's Kick-Ass Encyclopedia of Air Racing: A two-volume set", people wouldn't have to ask questions like this.

Sigh.......I hate it when real life intervenes with plans.

Comment

John Tegler has almost finished "Gentlemen, the Race Continues", which will bring us pretty much up to the present. I don't know of a publication date however.

BillRo

Comment

Originally posted by BillRo
            John Tegler has almost finished "Gentlemen, the Race Continues",
            I think you need to clarify that, Bill....John has had that book 'almost finished' for the last 7 or 8 years.

He also is 'almost finished' with 'They Did It In The Desert', which is supposed to be a book about the Mojave races.

But I'm not holding my breath for either one of them anytime soon.....

Comment

Hi, my name is Steven, and i am a resident of california. I am doing a project on the Reno Air Races and i was wondering if anyone had any information on the history of the races. If you have any information and would like to help you can just reply on this post.
              Am I the only one who finds this funny? That's like asking Earl Weaver if he knows anything about baseball. Having been born and raised in Reno and going to the races my whole life, I thought I knew something about air racing. That is untill I found this place. It didn't take long to figure out that I was just a spec of dust on the sidelines of a desert. The amount of knowledge that is spread across this board is absolutely unreal. You could probably write a book of off these threads. I don't think you guys even realize it anymore. The hardest part is just trying to stay out of the way. It takes about a half a second to sound like a real dick hole and then get shot out of the sky like a wounded duck. So my answer to you Steve is yah, somebody around here might know a little something about the history of Reno air racing. Probably more than you ever thought you could know. Just watch your step, these guys bite.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence
                ..Just watch your step, these guys bite.
                ..or if you're lucky, they'll just pee on your leg...

Comment

Aww, c'mon.
                  We just nibble.
                  You're right tho, there is soooo much in 40+ years of history that any of us that may think we are an expert are sadly delusional, except in some VERY small area.
                  And somemes it is very difficult to separate th nuggets from the sand...
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence
                    Am I the only one who finds this funny? That's like asking Earl Weaver if he knows anything about baseball. Having been born and raised in Reno and going to the races my whole life, I thought I knew something about air racing. That is untill I found this place. It didn't take long to figure out that I was just a spec of dust on the sidelines of a desert. The amount of knowledge that is spread across this board is absolutely unreal. You could probably write a book of off these threads. I don't think you guys even realize it anymore. The hardest part is just trying to stay out of the way. It takes about a half a second to sound like a real dick hole and then get shot out of the sky like a wounded duck. So my answer to you Steve is yah, somebody around here might know a little something about the history of Reno air racing. Probably more than you ever thought you could know. Just watch your step, these guys bite.
                    lol, shoulda seen my early days here, yeesh. hehehehe, right wayne?
                    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

What is this I hear? Could it be compassion? Humility? The soft underbelly of the most hardnosed group of racers on the planet? Say it aint so.

Speaking of books, I recieved a copy of "4 Decades of Reno Air Race Art" for Christmas this year. It gives a quick history of the event with a few pictures I've seen a thousand times and then goes into the posters. Next to each poster is a VERY breif recap of the years event with the winners listed for each class. This is where the obvious mistakes pop up. I didn't know Strega was a Bearcat one year and a Mustang the next. Or was it? Zero info on the actuall artists which was what I thought was the point of the book. Anyways, no real good history but kind of nice to have all the posters in one book. That is all.

..or if you're lucky, they'll just pee on your leg...
                      ILMFAO!
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I have the book "Reno Air Racing" by Michael O Leary, I have found it to be very interesting. What do you guys think of it for accuracy of information?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                          I have the book "Reno Air Racing" by Michael O Leary, I have found it to be very interesting. What do you guys think of it for accuracy of information?

Jarrod

Pretty spectacular....if you like your information a 'little light on the toes'. Hey RG....heard from Ralph Rina lately?

Comment

Working...
                          X