Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird v Jet - From our good friends at American Air Racing

This is not air racin' but....

I'm pretty sure this will be in the public domain (therefore copyright not an issue) since it's obviously a USAF video...

The explanation that came with this video describes it but if you listen closely, you'll here everything..

It's an F-16 twin seater... likely a training flight....

Bottom line.. a crater in a plowed field two pilots doing the Martin Baker dance.....

All's well that ends well!

Take a deep breath, put on the cans and listen to the heart wrenching nerves as this one plays out!
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Bird v Jet - From our good friends at American Air Racing

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
    It's an F-16 twin seater... likely a training flight....
    Not a USAF F-16. A RCAF CT-155 Hawk up at CFB Moose Jaw.

The F-16 uses a female voice warning system and has a different HUD. Plus the pilots sound suspiciously northern, eh?

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
    Bottom line.. a crater in a plowed field two pilots doing the Martin Baker dance.....
    If it were an F-16, that would be a 'McDonnell Douglas ACES II' dance.

Comment

I think I would want the female voice in that situation.
      Tony

Comment

[QUOTE=Randy Haskin]
        The F-16 uses a female voice warning system

"Dem women 'll nag ya any,and everywhere"

(withapologies to GG,Betty andChixfly)
        Mayday51
        Jim Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky
          I think I would want the female voice in that situation.
          The two jets I have any amount of time in both have female voice warning systems. Apparently someone did a study at some point and determined that male pilots would be more prone to listen to a warning in a female voice. I'm guessing this is in the days when women pilots were few and far between, and the only voice on the radio a pilot was likely to hear was male -- I suppose I see the logic in that. I don't particularly have an opinion on if it works or not...it's all I've ever flown with, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I think the voice saying "T-6-N-L" on the Hawk video sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard, but it just makes me want to find that man and punch him in the mouth, not do something with the jet.

On the other hand, I'm able to filter out a female voice in my home life rather effectively, so I think there's a fallacy to that theory these days!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
            Not a USAF F-16. A RCAF CT-155 Hawk up at CFB Moose Jaw.

The F-16 uses a female voice warning system and has a different HUD. Plus the pilots sound suspiciously northern, eh?

If it were an F-16, that would be a 'McDonnell Douglas ACES II' dance.
            Thanks for the head's up Randy.. I'd not seen it previously and went with the description in the mail it came with... (not that I'd have been able to tell anyway )

I did think though, watching it, that the bird was quite a bitt of to the side for the single center intake of the -16. Actually, looking around just now, I found this video all over the place, in one instance, described as an F-18....

Makes me feel less stupid...
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,

If it is an F-18, they took the bird in the number 1 engine and punched out of an airplane with the number two engine still running???

Thinking it had to be a single engine aircraft.

Warren

Ooops..didn't see Randy's post...it was a Hawk aircraft. Looking around a bit I found that the IP and Student were both injured upon ejecting, one seriously.

Comment

Working...
              X