Re: merlin

WOW, awsome find!
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

what are we watching/ is this the lastest flight sim?
      www.davemorss.com

Comment

Originally posted by morss
        here is some more flight sim for ya..(turn down the sound if there's kids in the room,this ones r rated)

spit

Comment

Jeez Thats pretty impressive

I really like the props changing revs just before touchdown on that mosquito, and that he only touches on the one wheel first, great details

Comment

That's Alan Decadnay from SPEED, I love that clip. Seen it many times before.

Comment

Opps, those foreign names always mess me up.

Comment

I saw that Merlin/Mosquito clip a few months ago and thought it was very nice and never even gave a second thought to whether it was real or not....Now today I see the site where it came from and from what I can gather it computer generated ( CGI ) I still have a hard time believing that it's not 100% real.

http://www.angel.ne.jp/~tochy/ for more of this guys work !

bf1
                One more blade and a little less roar, Team Rare Bear ROCKED in 2004 !

Comment

Originally posted by morss
                  well Dave I guess it's good to know that at least the pro's know fake when they see it.

I was fooled good on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER
                    well Dave I guess it's good to know that at least the pro's know fake when they see it.

I was fooled good on that one.
                    Well, try this one.
                    http://www.nodarkroom.co.uk/videos/mossie.htm
                    Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

That was the most realistic computer-generated video I have EVER seen on the internet. Heck, it was better than the cgi I have seen in some feature movies. VERY impressive!

I only managed to spot one detail that gives it away as CGI....The blurred props seem to be perfectly synchronized in their positions with their neighbors, meaning all the props on the Spits seem to have their blades pointed in the exact same directions throughout their rotation. Likewise with the Mosquitos.

Watch them closely and see. Use the PAUSE button if necessary.

When one spit has a blade pointed straight up, the spitfire next to it will have one pointed straight up as well (as will any other spits visible in the scene). The Mosquitos are also in sync with each other, but not with the Spits, so all the Spitfires must be sharing one blurred prop model and the 'Skeets sharing another.

Other than this one detail, I would not have been able to say if this clip was real footage or not. We're getting to the point where artificial and real are blurring together. Scary...

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                        We're getting to the point where artificial and real are blurring together. Scary...
                        Well thank goodness, because The Aviator had some of the worst cgi flight scenes I've ever witnessed (thinking of the H1 racer speed record and mayday into the beet field), and it was downright depressing.
                        _________
                        -Matt
                        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
                          Well thank goodness, because The Aviator had some of the worst cgi flight scenes I've ever witnessed (thinking of the H1 racer speed record and mayday into the beet field), and it was downright depressing.
                          Oh, you mean when the racer is pointed practically at the ground and pulls a 90 degree pullout in about 50 feet of vertical travel? Aarrgghh!

It's really rare when someone gets the flight mechanics right in the CGI stuff.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead
                            I agree this dude knows his stuff 100 %.
                            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead

Rob
                              And the WORST part is that on the Bonus Features portion of the DVD (I refused to see it in theaters), the special effects person in charge of it all continued to relentlessly congratulate herself on how realistic it all looked!!!
                              _________
                              -Matt
                              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Working...
                              X