I haven't been here for a while and I'm lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't been here for a while and I'm lost

Looking at the '05 unlimited results I see RB won again, and by the speeds posted, it looks like he had a fairly easy time of it. Where was Dago and Strega? I didn't even see them listed anywhere in any of the races or even in qualifying. It would be a travesty for the unlimited class for there not to be any serious competition for the top dogs. Watching RB race without Dago or Strega in the race would be like paying to watch Ali fight Butter Bean! What's the point?

I also thought team Dago (either the existing owning team, or the new owners) were going to make an attempt to break RB's closed course speed record. What happened to that?

Re: I haven't been here for a while and I'm lost

Oh Geez Grampi (AKA Grumpy if I remember correctly ) it's been a year!

Dago was a no show, as Terry Bland had, at that point, decided to sit back and take a breath or two.. (airplane now for sale) Strega came "loaded for bear" but it was all for naught...

We had a lot of commo here on the board and then that little blow that was headed for Houston (where our server is located) got me all riled up and in my frantic effort to get everything saved and backed up, I managed to delete aafo.com instead of a "practice" site (aafo.net) I'd set up for a member to use that was hogging a lot of disk space and causing the server to give me (no space to make backup messages) headaches...

Long story short.. all the database stuff for the message board was lost from about april or earlier (when I changed servers) on!!!!!!!!!!

So.... a lot of the info is there in the stories that were published, which are "archived" on my various hard drives.. The only thing lost was the database, which feeds the MB.... it's only on the server (save for the backups that I make, when I get smart enough to make one!) as it's a "live" thing that changes minute to minute.. (it's all greek to me, I set it up but do not profess to understand what it is I'm doing!)

Trust me.... despite rumor to the contrary, there is a huge difference between knowing HOW to do something versus knowing what one is doing when one is doing said something!!!!!!!!!!

Which is (see other thread) one of the BIG reasons, I've never taken up getting my PPL.

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by grampi
      I see RB won again...
      I guess I'm getting old when I think of Red Baron, first.

Comment

I see the name calling hasn't gone away. I guess I just don't understand why the fastest unlimited racer wouldn't show up for the race. Whether thinking about selling or not, wouldn't the best thing to do be to race when you've got the fastest propeller driven plane in the world? Makes sense to me. Also, I wasn't able to read anything about what happened to Strega. The link you provided didn't really explain anything. I will plan on going back to Reno for the races when there will be a REAL race.

Comment

Hey Paul

Me too -- Does that make me old too ???

Neal

Comment

Neal-
            Nothing to regret, with age comes wisdom.
            (Now if we just figure out how to work those damn digital cameras...)

Comment

It doesn't seem like anything has changed much here in the last year. Does anyone want to discuss the topic?

Comment

It doesn't seem like anything has changed much here in the last year. Does anyone want to discuss the topic?
                LOL... Grumpy... we love ya dood.. we all wish we knew who you really are, but we still love ya dood...

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Wingman... I see you're on.. I've got a lot of minutes... shoot me a good phone, if yer up for it, I'll give ya a ring...

W
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Grampi-
                    Short comments between members, aren't meant to hi-jack your thread, (especially when it looked like your question was answered). This is just a bunch of friends, sitting around talking about our interests, gotta get used to it. and be happy, it doesn't hurt, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                      and be happy, it doesn't hurt, really.
                      LOL.. yea, Paul, it does, really... if you're really "grumpy" at heart and your mom burned your copy of

"The Grinch Who Stole Christmas"

because she thought you needed to develop a sense of humor...

... just kidding Grumpy....

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                        Grampi-
                        Short comments between members, aren't meant to hi-jack your thread, (especially when it looked like your question was answered). This is just a bunch of friends, sitting around talking about our interests, gotta get used to it. and be happy, it doesn't hurt, really.
                        My questions weren't answered. Why would the owner of the fastest racer not race just because he was thinking about selling the plane? Also the link about Strega's new engine didn't mention why he didn't race.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                          LOL.. yea, Paul, it does, really... if you're really "grumpy" at heart and your mom burned your copy of

"The Grinch Who Stole Christmas"

because she thought you needed to develop a sense of humor...

... just kidding Grumpy....

Since you seem to be hung up on this "Grumpy" thing, I don't suppose you'll mind me calling you "Cigar"?

Comment

Alright, here's the scoop: Strega had 2 full-tilt, fire-breathing, Allison-rodded racing Merlins built up for Reno 2005. Unfortunately, a problem occurred in a process that was common to both engines (plating failure on blade rod bearings), and the racer was grounded for the remainder of the week.

As for Dago, only Terry Bland can answer that question.

And BTW, even without Dago and Strega, it was still very much a REAL race on Sunday. Yes, Rare Bear was clearly the fastest racer left in the field, but at the power settings these engines run to maintain the speeds they do, ANYTHING is a possibility. Believe me, the remaining racers gave it their all in an attempt to run with the Bear, and those efforts should never be minimized.

SA

Comment

As for Dago, only Terry Bland can answer that question.

And BTW, even without Dago and Strega, it was still very much a REAL race on Sunday. Yes, Rare Bear was clearly the fastest racer left in the field, but at the power settings these engines run to maintain the speeds they do, ANYTHING is a possibility. Believe me, the remaining racers gave it their all in an attempt to run with the Bear, and those efforts should never be minimized.
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              SA; Amen. some of the best and wisest words I've seen since Reno 05!

If someones too much of a snob to attend because they don't think there'll be any "real" competition then who needs em!?
                              SA[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                              X