PDA

View Full Version : Mathon V-16

Apteryx
01-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Anybody know?

There was a flyer for a Mathon V-16 engine, (in the Sport hanger, I believe), 525lbs, 900hp, (no ci's listed)
I can find references to the engine being used in Hot Rods, but can't find any reference to it's use in an aircraft. Anybody heard anything :dunno:

Paul

Low-n-Slow
01-06-2006, 06:14 AM
hmm - from the exhaust ports, displacement (710 CI) and rarity (only in couple of display hot-rods) I strongly suspect it's a pair of small block chevys grafted together via a custom block casting (maybe heads too) and crankshaft. Interesting bit of fabrication.

Low

Apteryx
01-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks Low-
I was curious of the intent of handing out the flyers.
Was it meant for Thunder (sans a few ci's) ?
16 cylinders would SOUND pretty cool, and they emphasize the 900hp at 4500rpm.
OR
Lessee, I know of a Shoestring fuselage, that's not being used... :D

Paul

Low-n-Slow
01-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Keeping in mind the interesting and educational discussion that occurred just a short time ago on what it takes to develope/convert an engine for aircraft use ( never mind RACING aircraft) I'd be pretty sceptical about that power claim. I think I could get a two liter VolksWagen engine to pump out 900 HP by running about 4 atmospheres boost on hydrazine and nitromethane ... engine life at that power setting would be approximately .13 milliseconds (i.e. 1 crank rev at 4500 rpm = two cylinder combustions, one to make the power reading, the other to break something major :eek5: :D )

AirDOGGe
01-06-2006, 07:55 PM
I couldn't locate any website info on the V16 engine except for mentions of expensive cars that have the engine grafted in, but I did manage to stumble across a nice picture of one. Looks heavy!

http://www.cruizin.com.au/newforum/printer-friendly.asp?threadid=3243

Apteryx
01-06-2006, 10:20 PM
AD-
The hand-out CLAIMS only 525 lbs, 4340 aluminum, with steel sleeves. It's a wierd deal though, the phone number on the flyer is dead.
Just a mystery on where it came from, and what the intented use was?

Paul

sweetgirl
01-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Anybody know?

There was a flyer for a Mathon V-16 engine, (in the Sport hanger, I believe), 525lbs, 900hp, (no ci's listed)
I can find references to the engine being used in Hot Rods, but can't find any reference to it's use in an aircraft. Anybody heard anything :dunno:

Paul
paul if you want info on this moter you can call mr. mathon @631-924-7480 his first name is al