Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mathon V-16

Anybody know?

There was a flyer for a Mathon V-16 engine, (in the Sport hanger, I believe), 525lbs, 900hp, (no ci's listed)
    I can find references to the engine being used in Hot Rods, but can't find any reference to it's use in an aircraft. Anybody heard anything

Paul

Re: Mathon V-16

hmm - from the exhaust ports, displacement (710 CI) and rarity (only in couple of display hot-rods) I strongly suspect it's a pair of small block chevys grafted together via a custom block casting (maybe heads too) and crankshaft. Interesting bit of fabrication.

Low

Comment

Thanks Low-
      I was curious of the intent of handing out the flyers.
      Was it meant for Thunder (sans a few ci's) ?
      16 cylinders would SOUND pretty cool, and they emphasize the 900hp at 4500rpm.
      OR
      Lessee, I know of a Shoestring fuselage, that's not being used...

Paul

Comment

Keeping in mind the interesting and educational discussion that occurred just a short time ago on what it takes to develope/convert an engine for aircraft use ( never mind RACING aircraft) I'd be pretty sceptical about that power claim. I think I could get a two liter VolksWagen engine to pump out 900 HP by running about 4 atmospheres boost on hydrazine and nitromethane ... engine life at that power setting would be approximately .13 milliseconds (i.e. 1 crank rev at 4500 rpm = two cylinder combustions, one to make the power reading, the other to break something major )

Comment

I couldn't locate any website info on the V16 engine except for mentions of expensive cars that have the engine grafted in, but I did manage to stumble across a nice picture of one. Looks heavy!

Comment

AD-
            The hand-out CLAIMS only 525 lbs, 4340 aluminum, with steel sleeves. It's a wierd deal though, the phone number on the flyer is dead.
            Just a mystery on where it came from, and what the intented use was?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
              Anybody know?

There was a flyer for a Mathon V-16 engine, (in the Sport hanger, I believe), 525lbs, 900hp, (no ci's listed)
              I can find references to the engine being used in Hot Rods, but can't find any reference to it's use in an aircraft. Anybody heard anything

Paul
              paul if you want info on this moter you can call mr. mathon @631-924-7480 his first name is al

Comment

Working...
              X