T-28 racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-28 racing?

New to the board but I have a query for you all - there seems to be a general interest (by pilots anyway) in T-28 racing. It is my understanding that Reno does not allow or doesn't have a class for these planes.

What kind of interest would there be in a one weekend race in late spring/early summer that featured T-28s and maybe an unlimited class as well.

Thanks,

Tommy "teaspoon"

Re: T-28 racing?

Tommy-
    They didn't get a very good turn out at Reno, I think 5 showed up for the last Reno race. (1998?)
    I know there were some RARA issues, but I think the main problem was it was too close to the (established) T-6's in format and speed. Stock airplane, not pretty by any means, and not fast enough to draw interest.
    If you could field 20+ airplanes, and sell it like the 6's, as "the pilot makes all the difference", maybe ?
    But NOT at Reno. Good Luck.

Paul

Comment

The one year they actually raced I saw much better competition as well as more speed than the T-6 class. There's a lot of them out there so why not race? However, they should be allowed to do engine mods and airframe cleanup and mods to give 3 real competitive classes as the owners desire.

These would be MUCH preferable to the stinking "race of champions" jets.

No props, no pistons, you don't race.

Bill Kohler

Comment

Thanks for the response! The airport in Wendover Utah and associated museum has been presented with the idea nad we are kicking it around a bit. Back in the day (1987-1989) Wendover hosted an airshow/air race that featured the unlimited class and a unique all out T-33 only race. In fact I have video of the POF P-47 and Steve Hinton flying at the show along with a corsair and several mustangs.

Of course it is now 17 years later and a lot has changed but it would be good for the local economy and if we could get the sponship to the point where a decent purse could be offered . . . well we'll have to sit tight and see I suppose.

Thanks,

Tom P.

Comment

I thought the T-28's were as interesting as the T-6's and the racing was very close and compact, with lots of place changes. Problem was in keeping track of who was who, as it seems there are a limited number of paint schemes that the owners prefer....
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
            Problem was in keeping track of who was who, as it seems there are a limited number of paint schemes that the owners prefer....
            Yeah, you've got a field of racers that were either in navy blue schemes or airforce gray schemes. It did get a little confusing.

You gotta admit that it was fabulously loud though! Washing machine radials with the chopping sound of those broad square tipped props. Wonderful noise!

Rob

Comment

Working...
            X