A question from the newest member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question from the newest member

One of my reasons for the first visit here is I have a question. I was recently on a cruise with Rusty Wallace and he told me that he was supposed to go to Reno and "narrate" the Sept. 2005 Reno Air Races to be broadcast on NBC. Does anyone know how to find out when the progam is to air. I believe he said he'd be in Reno between Dec. 11 and the end of the year. I thought that the broadcast date was Dec. 26 but perhaps that is incorrect. Do any of you air racing buffs have the inside information? I don't have a clue where to start looking for that type of TV scheduling ...but it is exciting that more people will be exposed to the air race phenomenon . Thanks for the welcome aboard.

Re: A question from the newest member

As far as I know, there haven't been any TV crews at Reno since ESPN stopped covering it back in the 90s.There wasn't any mention of a deal with NBC this year on this board, and if it had happened, people on here would have been so excited our neighbors might have heard us yelling.

Comment

From the way I understood it Rusty was going to go and do an overdub on the footage that was shot during the September races. Then there would be some sort of broadcast of the event and it would be on NBC. I've checked the schedule for NBC and the sister stations of CNBC and MSNBC. I'll try to contact him to clarify what he told me...meanwhile, if anyone here does have some information, I would love to know where to see the program. Does anyone have any connections with RARA?? Thanks for the reply. This board is great the way it is set up. I would expect nothing less from aviation enthusiasts.

Comment

Rusty Wallace was just on TV providing "color commentary" on the Red Bull air race held in San Francisco last fall. Maybe you confused the two???

John

Comment

Possibly I am confused. ...but he did tell me Reno. Where pray tell did that air...I couldn't find any air racing on TV today. That would explain the date. Again thanks for you help.

Comment

Originally posted by aflyer
            Rusty Wallace was just on TV providing "color commentary" on the Red Bull air race held in San Francisco last fall. Maybe you confused the two???
            It is possible that whatever footage was shot there this year is a part of something that we don't know about. I think the local NBC affiliate shot in partnership with RARA.. I could be very wrong on that but I know one of the local network affiliates partnered with them.

Personally, I didn't see any video crews out on the pylons but they would have been afforded better access than us lowly still guys anyway.. There was a lot of video work going on in the pits though.. "Color" certainly can be added later...

So.. maybe something IS in the works that is unknown to us.. I'll check around and see what I can dig up. I have not been digging a lot this year for info, preferring that it "comes to me". Most everyone in the sport knows about this site and, like Will and Red, if they want their gig known about, it's pretty easy to let us know via this board or email..

Newbie.. thanks for the head's up... I'll do some sniffing...

BTW.. the Red Bull thing aired last week, I think I saw it on one of the networks, not a cable access channel but I could not tell you when, exactly or what network..

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I've also sent out some emails where I thought I might find answers...I'm nothing if not tenacious. I thought maybe the fact that Breitling is a personal sponsor of Rusty's would make that a natural connection. So any sniffing that turns up something would be greatly appreciated.

It is so nice to have a place to discuss air racing. Most people I mention it too stare at me blankly! ty everyone!

Comment

Newbie-
                You can also keep an eye on the RARA web site, (links page), if it's something that's going to happen, they had they're hand in it.
                Surfed Rusty's site, and some NBC affiliate promo's, with no luck, but it could happen
                He's a high time pilot with racing connections, he's not a bad choice...

Paul

Comment

Rusty did commentary on the SF Red Bull "Air Races"
                  ....it aired on NBC this past couple days....(sorry,my days have merged/melted into one continiuos mass)
                  Mayday51
                  Jim Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
                    I thought maybe the fact that Breitling is a personal sponsor of Rusty's would make that a natural connection.
                    The 12/19-26/05 issue of Av Leak and Spy Technology has a two page spread on the inside front cover of Precious Metal and a Breitling Navitimer. It's not the best shot I've ever seen of an air racer, but it's a nice add and says some nice things about Reno.
                    Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Working...
                    X