For Rare Bear fans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Rare Bear fans...

Thought all you fans of Race 77 might like this cartoon. I've also attached a shot I took during pilot introductions before the Gold one year. Quiz question -- what is a bone stock P-51 doing lined up next to the Alpha Racers of the time?? Speeddemon and Goss not allowed to answer yet...

Neal
    Attached Files

Re: For Rare Bear fans...

It was the Mustang that Bob Love flew for race course check out. It is owned by Jack Hovey. Bob also raced it.

Comment

Cotton Mouth or the Whittington's P-51H?

Jarrod

Comment

Ahhhhh, one of my favorite years attending... '89. One of the best Unlimited battles ever, between Bear & Strega. If only some little coolant part would have held............

Hmmmmmmm,... I wonder if anyone has a shot of a cartoon just inside the side doors of the Bear trailer?...

P.J.

Comment

Racer -- Excellent try, but you've broken new ground in the Wingman Quiz history -- wrong airplane, wrong pilot, wrong owner, and no reason for it to be hobnobbing with the big dogs. Remember that these airplanes are lined up in front of the crowd for the Gold Race. Also, as far as I know, Bob never flew pilot quals in Hovey's airplane.

Jarrod -- Closer but why would it be out there in front of the crowd?

P. J. -- what cartoon was that? I was in the trailer a lot, but offhand don't remember a cartoon -- of course it's been 16 years (??!?!!)

Neal

Comment

Bob flew his own mustang Bernies BO for pilot check outs Shawn

Comment

If I remember right, David Price let Bob Hoover use his Mustang for the safety plane one year. I don't remember if it was the same year Hoover had the accident with Scott Hamicks tow vehical or not.

Race 29

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                If I remember right, David Price let Bob Hoover use his Mustang for the safety plane one year. I don't remember if it was the same year Hoover had the accident with Scott Hamicks tow vehical or not.

Race 29
                I remember that... it's the same Mustang Hoover later had to call the groundloop for on runway 8 (one of the better things Skyfire ever captured). Didn't that plane use Hoover's yellow rudder for a while (can't tell from this picture)...
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Super gold?

Comment

I think that it is dave price's mustang cottonmouth, which if I havent killed off to many brain cells with malted hops was owned by jerry janes before he bought his sea fury.
                    it was out there, If I remember right, after yellow bird and smoke and thunders truck tried to mate..
                    bob burns
                    ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                    "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Everybody it SO CLOSE....

C'mon, Neal...how come Randy and I can't play????? :-)

Comment

Brad -- I think it's time... Go for it!

You too, Goss.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                          Brad -- I think it's time... Go for it!

You too, Goss.

Neal

Sigh....

Yes, it is the Gold Final line-up for 1989.

Yes, that is David Price's "Cottonmouth". Pard' Hoover had done the mating ritual with Smok'n Thunder, so Ol' Yeller was out of commission. The rudder from Ol' Yeller was used on Merlin's Magic, because Stu had blown a rudder trim tab earlier in the week. Cottonmouth was used as the safety plane for the Gold Final, while the Red Knight was used as the pace aircraft for the first time. The racers were much happier with the T-33 as Pace, since the speed differential between Hoover's Mustang, and the 'racers' was significant. Never again would Hoover's voice be the one to utter "Gentlemen, you have a race!"

Of note, Cottonmouth wasn't raced that year, because Price was racing Dago Red (three planes to the right of Strega in the line-up)...but just the fact that it was there was amazing, considering that just one year before was when Price ran her off the end of the runway and tore her up pretty good. Thank you Art Teeters!

So here's a follow-on question: Since Hinton was racing Tsunami, and Brickert was in Dreadnought....who flew the Red Knight as Pace that year????

Comment

Sorry, forgot to login before the last post.

As I remember it, John Crocker flew pace that year.

Comment

GEEK
                              Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Working...
                              X