New Wingman Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wingman Quiz

Well Boys and Girls, it's that time again. This one should be challenging!

What is this and what relevance (if any) does it have to Air Racing? Bonus points for time and place...

Neal
    Attached Files

Re: New Wingman Quiz

Originally posted by wingman
    Well Boys and Girls, it's that time again. This one should be challenging!

What is this and what relevance (if any) does it have to Air Racing? Bonus points for time and place...

Neal
    From the look of the gear well at the bottom of the picture, I'd say it is Tsunami at Fighter Rebuilders in the late winter of 85/86.

Comment

Interesting guess Brad -- Do you still stand by your answer?

Neal
      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting guess Brad -- Do you still stand by your answer?

Neal
        Aw, crap....wasn't logged in. YES, I stand by my answer. Looks like the wing for Tsunami because of the shape and location of the gear well, as well as the area for the 'split' flaps like on a P-40.

As the Ben & Jerry's character in City Slickers said to Billy Crystal when he was 'testing' his knowledge of ice cream: "Don't patronize me...."

Comment

OK Brad -- You are right on the aircraft (and I truly am impressed!) but wrong on the time and place...

N

Comment

OK Brad -- You are right on the aircraft (and I truly am impressed!) but wrong on the time and place...

N
            So then....Bruce Boland's shop in about 1983?

Comment

Much closer. During the spring of 1985, I visited with the Sheltons in the San Fernando Valley. One day John Slack (Bellcobra IV) took me for a most interesting tour of the industrial underbelly of the L. A. basin. We visited Aircraft Cylinder to see the latest 3350 that Mel Gregoire was building up for the Bear, and went to Dave Zeuschel's and Mike Nixon's Merlin shops, and then to the cubbyhole where Bruce and Ray Poe were working on what became Tsunami. Up til that time I only knew Bruce as a name on many of my favorite racers, and found him a most generous and fascinating man. We eventually became friends. I've always been glad I knew him before his prematurely leaving us...

Thank You John Slack!

By the way, what is the purpose of the structure with the square openings on the back of the scoop?

Neal
              Attached Files

Comment

Isn't this about the time where Goss pokes his head in and calls me a Geek?

Comment

I must admit that only a geek could have gotten this particular Wingman Quiz -- I really thought this one might stump eveybody...

Neal

Comment

By the way, what is the purpose of the structure with the square openings on the back of the scoop?
                    Neal
                    I am unworthy in the presence of such knowledge ... but what the hey, never stopped me from taking a wag before: Assume that's a diffuser box to drop the speed of the airflow through the radiator, and the multi cell arrangement is to equalize the air distribution across the entire surface of the rad.

cheers
                    Low

Comment

I had guessed something like that too -- a Mustang doesn't have anything like that does it? It must have been important -- a metal box that size would be pretty heavy...

Comment

It distributes water spray equally over the radiator, doesn't it? I think you can see the water nozzle fittings on the close-up pic.
                        _________
                        -Matt
                        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Low-n-Slow
                          I am unworthy in the presence of such knowledge ... but what the hey, never stopped me from taking a wag before
                          Secrets being revealed..........behold my friends.

I want to join you Low. This is really excellent site AAFO.COM

PS: Did it loose some 100 - 200 lbs of thrust ( of 500-600 lbs total ) with this arrangement ?
                          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X