GP5 takes flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP5 takes flight

today a few dreams came true as the gp 5 lifted into the air. this plane was started 15 years ago to race at reno. Lets hope there is a way to get the dream finished.
    dave
    www.davemorss.com

Re: GP5 takes flight

pic now?
    Attached Files
    www.davemorss.com

Comment

hey dave, she's gorgeous, what kind of engine, speed?

will she be heavy enough to race in the unlimiteds or will there be kits made for the sport class?
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

That is a BEAUTIFUL ship. It looks like a single seater though, so it had better be real heavy, or they will have to put another seat in the kits. Anyone have more info / pics?

Comment

I think I read somewhere that the airframe is made of wood. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by morss
            pic now?
            Yes Dave, the pic came through this time.. I'll second the question, what's the weight?

Wayne
            PS... looks fast sitting still!

MORE INFO MORE INFO MORE INFO!!!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Ill compile the data from the owner and post with an in flight pic. but yes it really is a looker
              www.davemorss.com

Comment

Ill compile the data from the owner and post with an in flight pic. but yes it really is a looker
                Dave, unfortunately/fortunately, whatever your view on the subject is, she can't race Sport unless there are five kits out there...

We beg the information, can she be an Unlimited?

Is this another that would benefit from an "Unlimited/Sport" division???

Really a cool looking plane, I'm wondering about powerplant... I'm seeing three stacks out the side..... Looks pretty flat so, assuming it's a flat opposed six??

Do they have a website??

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hummn.. looking closer, I see the belly scoop... Automotive water cooled six with radiator in the belly?????

Man Dave, where did this one come from, I'm totally blind sided by it!

Impressive, exciting... We want MORE!

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

big V 8 little plane much speed.
                    Attached Files
                    www.davemorss.com

Comment

hey dave would it be at all possible to get pictures of the engine installation?

oh man what i wouldn't give to see the oil streak data from this one, oh god, i sound like blue foam

in all seriousness though, i'm really digging this plane. alot of it is what i had envisioned for my conventional design (as some of you may remember)
                      Last edited by matt; 11-18-2005, 10:30 PM.
                      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Sport Aviation had the debut article in the May 93 issue p.59-63; Pacific Flyer had some info in Sep 93 p.A37 and the Nov 93 issue p.4. Trade-A-Plane had it for sale in the First May 96 p.116A.

George Pereira's GP-5 was said in the original article to be getting a 500-hp 410-ci Rodeck Chevy V-8. Gross weight predicted then at 1,800 lbs. Empty weight, 1,300. Wing Span 22' 2" and length 23' 2" with wing area 75.7 square feet. Original article written by George, had six photos in advanced construction with two three-views. No belly scoop seen then.

I think the registration is N153GB.

It sure looks good. Bring on the Unlimited Lights Mr. Landers! If you schedule it they will come. Some patience and extra safety enforcement will be necessary of course.

Comment

big V 8 little plane much speed.
                          Ummn... must learn to look more closely... thot I only saw three exhaust stacks....

Now the sixty four thousand dollar question.. .what's the weight????

(silent prayer for the impossible 4500 lb rating)

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                            Ummn... must learn to look more closely... thot I only saw three exhaust stacks....

Now the sixty four thousand dollar question.. .what's the weight????

(silent prayer for the impossible 4500 lb rating)

Wayne
                            In the front quarter photo ther are clearly 4 stacks in the classic V-8 spacing with the two center stacks close together.

Now for the WAG...

This appears to be either the next model in the Osprey Aircraft line or a single-seat, V-8 version of the GP-4. If it is the latter, it is a legal Sport Class racer RIGHT NOW!!!

If the Sport Class determines it to be a unique model and not a modification of a kit that has several flying and many sold, then we're hosed. It's way too small to make 4500 lb; 2500 is more likely.

FYI, the GP-4 is a wood, two place, tricycle gear retractable, using an IO-360. Cruise was over 240 mph, or about what we would expect from a current generation biplane with the same engine. Given 400 to 600 HP from a V-8 combined with a little cleanup associated with the single cockpit and other details, and she's in the 330 to 390 mph range.

All guesstimates subject to change upon disclosure of actual data...
                            Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Does the pilot sit on top of the radiator or behind it? And Eric, what do you think, does it have adequate vertical tail area/moment? And given the prop, how many ponies, 350?

I'm guessing here with the exhaust spacing, but here's a thought for Ford lovers....
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Peashooter; 11-19-2005, 06:16 AM.
                              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
                              X