new v-12 engine for the p-51's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new v-12 engine for the p-51's

has anyone thought about talking to ryan falconner about what was involved in developing his v-12.
    john parker has been racing his thundermustang pretty hard for years now, and how many engines has he gone through?
    seems to me that with the money the teams are spending on building merlins every year, why not throw some money into a new engine with all the modern technology.
    and like everyone says the merlins are getting rare and more expensive every year! wouldnt it be worth it in the long run?

P.S. i already have my hard hat on so throw all the rocks you want!
    Todd Smith

Re: new v-12 engine for the p-51's

Here is a thread where it gets discussed thoroughly:
    All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

It all comes down to supply and demand.

Making a new engine is expensive, and there is relatively low demand (regardless of what some people might think).

Comment

Does John Parker when pushing the "go baby" -button get more hp:s or is it just the start button ?

Is it a 1 000 hp engine or the stated 650 hp ?
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

John Parker is on his original engine. It has been "rebuilt" twice. The first time was to enhance its performance. The second time was after a burnt piston. It was dynoed at Falconer's shop and produced 660 hp at 5000 feet. That was in early 2004 I think. Since then it has raced 2 Renos, made 2 Nellis appearances, and the Marysville speed runs where it set two speed records. The "Go Baby Go" switch was to turn on the NOS for the speed runs. It has never used NOS at Reno, the rules forbid it.

To the best of my knowledge, other than oil and plugs, the engine has not been touched since the 2004 rebuild.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

correct me if i am wrong,but I always thought that the falconer engine has the same bore and stroke of a 350 chevy.

Comment

Originally posted by MAYDAY
              correct me if i am wrong,but I always thought that the falconer engine has the same bore and stroke of a 350 chevy.
              No, the 350 is a smallblock. The Falconer is based on the big-block Chevy architecture (loosely). I don't know the bore and stroke of the Falconer, and I doubt that either is the same as any production Chevy given how heavily modified the whole design is. But if either of the dimensions were stock, it would correspond to that of 454, not a 350.

Comment

Check the following link
                Ryan Falconer Racing Engines has been building, designing and developing race-winning engines for over 50 years. This is the home of the Falconer V12, L6 and IRL Street V8 street rod engines.

I read a history somwhere, as I recall the engine came from his work on the 90 degree V6 engine. I have seen it in person and talked with mechanics back when the green one was still with us. They stated many of the parts in it are "off the shelf" performance parts including pistons and rods from the small block chevy. The engine is 600 cubes and coresponds to a 400 inch v8

Derrek

Comment

At a bore of 4.125" and a stroke of 3.750" , it looks like a stretched version of the 400 small block.

Comment

Engine type: 90 degree V-12, Ryan Falconer Industries (all Aluminum)
                    Displacement: 601 cubic inches
                    Horsepower: 660 hp @ 4500 rpm at 5050 feet altitude
                    Torque: 782+ ft./lb @ 4700 rpm at sea level
                    Compression Ratio: 10.9:1
                    Bore: 4.125 in.
                    Stroke: 3.750 in.
                    Fuel: 100 LL Avgas
                    Heads: Cast aluminum with splayed valve design
                    Cylinders: Steel sleeved
                    Main bearing size: Same as 400 cid Chevrolet
                    Rod bearing size: Same as 350 cid Chevrolet
                    Cam bearings: Similar to Chevy small block
                    Rods: Forged, Carrillo Industries
                    Pistons: Forged aluminum, J.E. Pistons
                    Valve train: Dual spring
                    Valves: Stainless, 2.190 intake / 1.610 exhaust
                    Rocker assembly: Investment, cast stainless steel, 17-4
                    Roller tappets: AC Delco
                    Pushrods: Smith Brothers
                    Manifold: RFI, with end entry plenums and 70mm butterflies
                    Ignition: Delco Direct Fire (no distributor), with dual computers
                    Freeze plugs: Threaded with o-ring
                    Port runners: Pre-machined for better flow
                    Crankshaft: Bryant
                    Head gasket: Fel-Pro, custom-built
                    Dry oil sump pump: RFI, custom-built
                    Damper: Fluidampr
                    Length: 55.5 in
                    Width: 24.25 in
                    Weight: 980 lb (firewall forward, includes: accessories, batteries, gear reduction unit, hoses, propeller, etc.)
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I was told Ryan Falconer is no longer making aircraft engines.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan
                        has anyone thought about talking to ryan falconner about what was involved in developing his v-12.

P.S. i already have my hard hat on so throw all the rocks you want!
                        My humble enthusiast candidate would be a small 4500-6000 lbs weighing twin with two 660 hp falconers V-12s..I figure they are capable to be " GO BABY GO " tuned for 850 hp each. It could race in the UNLIMITED CLASS.

It would not be entirely impossible to custom design one quite moderatly here in Finland with dudes at the polytechnical university in Helsinki. Using carbon and fiberglass with reinforced steel and aluminium.

With the specs 1700 hp and 5 000 lbs weight...it could not be far away from 500+ mph lap speeds.

Anyone interested ?
                        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

If I had a trillion dollars Juke, I would be all over your idea. I would get Burt Rutan to design and build it for me though. (nothing against the guys in Helsinki). I have been telling freinds ever since I first learned of the falconer, that a race designed twin, running two of them would kick ass. There are poeple here with alot more knowladge than I have, but I think it could at least be a silver contender.

I would love to hear some thoughts on this.

Comment

Working...
                          X