Nellis, Sundays T-6 race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nellis, Sundays T-6 race

A Big Thank you to: Randy Goss, Al Goss and Dick Jones.
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Re: Nellis, Sundays T-6 race

WOW! Another fantastic shot Victor!
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Great shots of an absolutly wonderful show ! Perfect weather , the best hosts in the world and aircraft ,aircraft, aircraft ! My feet and neck are killing me today but the memories will live on . Thank you .

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen a race before where they allowed a passenger (observer?) in each plane.
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Victor-

Great shot. I wish I had known that was you, I would have come over and said hello. For all you AAFO bubbas, that's Wayne in the back seat of Tinkertoy with the old man. Nellis was a good time this weekend.

-Ken

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
            I don't think I've ever seen a race before where they allowed a passenger (observer?) in each plane.
            Keywords... NOT A RACE. This is a demo with safety observers. The race is generally briefed and scripted beforehand.

Nice photo Victor!

Michael

Comment

Hey look Waynes up here too...

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
                Keywords... NOT A RACE. This is a demo with safety observers. The race is generally briefed and scripted beforehand.

Nice photo Victor!

Michael
                Correct Michael, I kept Tom totally aware of who was behind us and where they were..

Safety Observer: "OK Tom, we've got race four coming up on our right...."

Tom: "--"

Safety Observer: "Here comes Al"

Tom: "THANK YOU"

As Michael said, it was not a race.. potential finish orders were discussed as well as how to reach those orders..

That these discussed finishes required power changes that, at times, were at maximum did nothing to decrease safety of the demonstrations or the impact of the demonstration on the crowd and the pilot/observer combinations....

OK.. next observation then becomes...

Who Won??

Attached Files
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wow Guys! Those are some amazing photos!

Jarrod

Comment

A few more from yesterday.. Very special thanks to Tom Dwelle and his lovely daughters, one of whom gave up her seat for my flight!

It was something very special to fly with one of my heroes in life! Especially watching him do something he loves so much...

One of the shots is not very good quality but is the best I could manage shooting blind behind us, against the g's which made the camera pretty heavy and tended to throw my blind aim off..

Wayne
                    Attached Files
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

This is so not fair!!!! I also wanna be up there in a T-6 in the sky!!! Great pictures guys (as always) …. that really gave me goosebumps and made me so so jealous! lol Hopefully if all goes to plan I will be there for Reno next year!

Comment

Very cool guys!! I'm jealous!!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
                          Very cool guys!! I'm jealous!!
                          Thanks Tim, I'm still beaming actually..

Tom Dwelle is one of my favorite people, one of my "heroes" in truth. From the first day I met the man, he's been nothing but top notch to me and everyone I have ever seen him deal with... Just one of the really qauality people in the world and he's got a fine bunch of "kids" and a very nice wife also!

The funny thing about a "mission" like yesterday is how tiring it is. Not only on the photographers who are bending and twisting to try to get the shot, to the pilots!

We were in "hold" for about a half hour in close formo before the race start. Then the actual "race"... When I got out, I shook both Tom and Ken's hands and both were as shaky as I was!

It's damn hard work flying and being flown in formation and racing.

I'd sell body parts to do it again and again!!!!!!!!!!

Being actually "on the course" for the first time was the coolest thing I've ever gotten to do...

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Great shots Wayne!!!
                            Here's one for you...

Comment

About 10 years ago, Dad wanted a shot of the Critical Mass flying down the showline with the crowd in the background. We called up Sacramento based photographer extrordinaire Jim Dunn.

It was a hot, bumpy summer afternoon over the Marysville, CA airshow.
                              One warm up pass in Yankee Air Pirate with #10 on the wing. Then the briefed Low speed/High speed pass in which I buzzed the showline at take off power and the old man blew by me at midfield.

I pulled around to downwind and got ready for the last (photo) pass. As I rolled out on a short base/final, there was still no sign of #10. I keyed the mic. "Race 10, where are you?" "I'll be there" was the reply.
                              I glanced to my left as we got into the photo zone and there was C.M. parked out there just like she had never left.

We flew the short hop home and gathered at the T-6 for a debrief.
                              Jim looked beat up. I asked how it went. "That was hard" he replied. "Hot and very bumpy" he added.

I agreed and said "Jim, that why we called you. If it was going to be easy, we could have had someone else take the pictures."

He returned 2 weeks later to show us the slides. When he got to the money shot, it was perfectly focused and framed in front of the crowd.

Nice Shots Victor!

TJ

Comment

Working...
                              X