Race numbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race numbers.

Did you know that Stiletto is the only racer to have 'won' the year of it's race number (84)?

How many other planes have done this? None that I can think of.

A few other planes 'debuted' the year of their race number (in the modern era).

Clay Lacy's "Conroy Aviation" #64 in 1964.

Cliff Cummins "Miss Candace" #69 in 1969.

Dave Norland's "No Name Dame" #76 in 1976.

Don Davis's "Puss 'n Boots" #85 in 1985.

Earl Ketchen raced #81 "Ge Ge II" for the first time in 1981...but this had already been raced as #04 by Scott Smith in '78, and Bill Whittington in '80.

Same goes for when #90 "Wanna Play II" showed up (kind of) in 1990. It had already raced in 1987 as #88 "Blind Man's Bluff".

So neither of those really count.

Can anybody think of any others?

Re: Race numbers.

I think Strega still has the '00' in front of the 7 on the tail. So if Tiger doesn't take the Gold final next year, watch out for Reno 2007.
    Mark Johnson
    Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
      I think Strega still has the '00' in front of the 7 on the tail. So if Tiger doesn't take the Gold final next year, watch out for Reno 2007.
      Incorrect.
      She just says "7" now.

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
        Even if he does win in 06, look out for 007
        Go Strega!
        Perhaps you detect a Mustang fan?
        Bill Garnett
        InterstellarDust
        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

It wasn't a Reno pylon race, but we gotta also include Paul Mantz in the P-51C #46 in the '46 Bendix Race.

Now what two birds of a feather won a championship pylon race in a year that was their race number backwards?

Comment

Originally posted by dasher
            Incorrect.
            She just says "7" now.
            Oops, my bad. Should have checked a more recent photo of the Witch. I assume they removed the '00' when they went to the more stylized 7 on the tail?
            Mark Johnson
            Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Don Davis corsair had race 82 and it came in 1982 shawn

Comment

Oh, NICE one, Shawn. I forgot about that one. Wart Hog, with Mike "Captain Chaos" Wright flying it. The one thing I will remember most about that plane is the gas powered machine guns they had in it, and Mike firing them as he went past the pylons.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                  Dave Norland's "No Name Dame" #76 in 1976.
                  Dave Norland's first race in #76 was Reno 1973!

T J

Comment

yes speed I herd that the pylon juges stood right at the pylon and when he came by the juges fell back as straff the pylon no i think speed is right Dave Nolan did come in 76 i wasnt there .

there was a show called thrill seekers with Chuck Conners and he had Frank Tallman on and he was at Reno and they showed No name Dame go by all the best shawn

Comment

According to Aerofiles website this is results from Reno 73. There is also a b/w photo of it in Red Kinert's annual from that year.

Originally posted by Aerofiles
                      1973 - Sept 14-16, National Championship Air Races, Reno
                      Unlimited = 1. Lyle Shelton, F8F-2 US Thrift (v: 428.155). 2. Cliff Cummins, P-51D Miss Candace (v: 417.076). 3. John Wright, P-51D Roto-Finish Special (v: 407.495). 4. Jack Sliker, F8F-2 Escape II (v: 387.598). 5. Howie Keefe, P-51D Miss America (v: 359.267).
                      Medallion = 1. John Wright, P-51D Philippine Mustang (v: 343.748). 2. John Crocker, P-51D Miss Francis (v: 336.748). 3. Dave Norland, P-51D No Name Dame (v: 311.340). 4. Gary Levitz, P-38L Double Trouble (v: 339.994).
                      I remember seeing that episode of Thrillseekers around 1983-85. I just fell in love with the colors, but didn't find out which 51 it was until 1987 when I bought Paul Coggan's Mustang Survivors book. I was i touch with Norland around 1990-92, but never managed to see the plane in those colors. And now it has put on uniform again!

T J

Comment

Yes you are right iam sorry for that i look it up in the Racing planes serius my dad has i only saw it at reno 78 and July 79 at Hollister it was there for Maitance and Reno 79 allthe best Shawn

Comment

<<<Same goes for when #90 "Wanna Play II" showed up (kind of) in 1990. It had already raced in 1987 as #88 "Blind Man's Bluff".>>>

I think that #88 was supposed to debut in 1988, but they pushed it up a year for some reason.

Larry help me out here.

T

Comment

Working...
                          X